Have you Been Ticketed with Your Valentine One?

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright,

I know everyone sings the praises of the Valentine One - but how about telling if you still got a ticket with one! Especially if you felt like you were using it correctly and you still got a ticket. Also, it would be good to hear of occurences where it saved you!

Now I know that there are many factors that would cause you to get a ticket with even the best radar detector (i.e. instant on radar, going too fast to be able to slow down, etc.), but I still want to have an idea if the Valentine is really worth the money before I break down and send in my $450 or so.

Thanks!!!

John Stuttle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been running a V1 for over two years. I have only been pulled over 1 time, 72 in a 65, just got a warning ticket. That was in Bill Clinton's home state! You need to buy a V1 - john

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While on a vicarious drive between Lubbock and Abilene, I chanced upon a HiPo doing his job quite well with his 'instant on' radar unit. When the V1 went off, I mashed the brakes as hard as possible without flat spotting the tires. He pulled me over and was very friendly. He asked me what kind of radar detector I had and told me what kind of radar unit he had. He had me at 75 in a 70..... After asking some questions about the car and telling me he had just ordered a Harley, he let me go along my merry way.

In short, the V1 worked great. I think maybe hammering the brakes helped too as his radar unit didn't lock on until I had already scrubbed off XX (
You must be registered for see images
) mph.

Several other times it has saved me too but none as close as that.

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can say the Valentine One is the best radar detector in the World. It saves me many...many....many....times!! It's ability is really incredible!! But ofcourse, you can still get a ticket if they use the instant on or Laser(which it's too late when the V1 notify you since they already pointed the gun at you instantly)....and also the cops can do a technique which they simply pace behind your back. With the V1, I've never get any ticket so far. But I've also installed a K40 LASER DISFUSER in the front of my car. Which I just found out it's not really working since I recently got a ticket while they use the laser gun.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By far the best radar on the market, however don't confuse it for a cloaking device.

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a V1 also,but don't expect it to work without some input from the driver,you have to learn how to read the V1.

MichaelThurston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
San Diego to Houston, was in west Texas with a 94 roadster. Was doing 95 to 110. Actually was trying to keep it below 95 but wasn't having much luck. Truckers CB'd about a fast viper and a DPS trooper was just waiting for me.

From Houston to Las Vegas VOI, took my Valentine but tried not to speed. Saw 17 cops, half had radar, and 5 would have nailed me if I had been speeding.

I have had a lot of problems with the V1 overheating and freaking out. Have sent a few back for repair but have finally figured out that it's just the way they are.

If you are in traffic, any radar detector will save you. If you are by yourself, no unit will save you from instant on.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Demthios,
instant on means the cop doesn't turn it on until you're close enough to see the fear on your face. Then he turns it on, your radar detector goes off, you slam on your brakes, but too late...he has you. If you're lucky, maybe you can scrub off 5-10 mph before the radar unit can lock on.
Demthios, have you ever owned a yellow 95? I'm trying to find a "Demencios" or someone like that to transfer a service contract.

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I was on my way to have my Viper dynoed, and got pulled over going 75 in a 55 with the Valentine One on. It beeped like crazy when the radar hit me, but it was too late. A PA State Trooper was shooting radar from a large yellow PennDOT truck...and there were cop cars parked behind it which went out to catch the speeders. Luckily, I took it to court and got it reduced to 5 over with no points.

Tim

SpeedRacer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am probably as qualified as anyone to answer this question, as I have owned one for years. I have upgraded once or twice. It is definitely a great radar detector. I have been ticketed at least 3 times with it, due to the cop using instant-on and me being the only guy to come along for several minutes.
However, it has saved me hundreds of times, literally. Even when cops use instant-on, if there is just one car between you and him then you have a good chance of winning the battle. It is likely that he will turn his radar on someone else in front of you while you are also in range to pick up his signal, sometimes more than a mile away. Not only that, but a lot of cops keep their radar on while driving, just to see who will fall into their trap. These are easy to beat, and you will run into them often.
What is really great is the "real world" usefulness of it's features compared to the other units on the market. The directional arrows and "bogie" counter allow you to judge a real threat from a false one. This is real important because, if you use it in the city, you can become immune to it's warnings like the boy who cried "wolf". With other units, you become so tired of false alarms that you go fast anyway, because it is false 99% of the time and you can't tell wether it is or not.
On a down note, I have read some recent reports stating that the V1 does not have a real good false-alarm filter, and that the Ka band warning is late, compared to some newer models by ****** and Bell. I must agree that the "city" mode could be better and that the Ka warnings definitely come when you are a little too close to the cop, but the K and X band detection is top notch. However, I have not had the opportunity to compare and see if these other units are superior. They do not have the directional warnings, which would be a negative for them. Also, the V1 has been the king of the hill for years, and if some other units have finally caught up, then I'm sure that Valentine will be coming out with a better unit soon.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could've been ticketed with it this weekend!! I was driving about 75 in a 65, basically with the flow of traffic, and it was dark out driving through an area with some lights, making it a little hard to see what was around. I pulled up slowly behind a car, which eventually got out of the way, and I was going along, and started going faster with traffic to about 80. About then, another faster driver punched it, probably got to ninety, but the speed was short-lived because the car that had gotten out of my way had been an unmarked cop car (I couldn't see in it when passing due to the lighting). He was right beside me when he hit his lights (I braked!), he cut over and pulled the other guy over (sometimes the viper driver does get lucky!). At no point did I get a signal to the Valentine though, I didn't know if that was because of his being beside me or what, but I thought it would've reflected back to me some. I did just put in a new cord for use with it, which does power it up and my remote display lights up right, could there be a problem with it?

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got hit on a windy mountain road by instant on. I was coasting down from a 130+ passing situation, and had scrubbed off a good bit of speed. I had no warning at all as I came around the next curve- he hit me, so I just pulled over and waited for the inevitable... 86 in a 55. A great traffic attorney made it all go away.
My V1 has saved me from so many tickets I feel rather insecure without it. Wish I'd had it in my previous toys...

SlayTay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have put on 5200 miles in the last 3 1/2 months since I got my RT/10 and haven't been pulled over yet. All due to the excellent range of the Valentine 1. It has paid for itself many times over.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced an ****** (stolen) with the V1 and can't believe the quality difference. Admittedly the ****** was an older model but the Valentine really out performs it. There are a few common traps near my place and I can now pick up the radar guns probably a mile further away, it's a dramatic difference.

So to answer the question, I haven't been ticketed yet with the V1...well that's not exactly true... I did get a ticket the other day for not wearing my seatbelt. I almost managed to talk my way out of it because the '94's seatbelt comes from the inside to the outside and I suggested to the cop that maybe he didn't see the belt on me before I took it off. He said "You're right, I wouldn't have seen it, except for all the jacking around you were doing trying to get it on when you saw me!"

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest thing about the V1 is that when a radar source is pacing you, you can determine if the threat is ahead or behind you. In FL, late at night, the sheriffs patrol with always on radar and like to sneak up on your tail. V1 is perfect for that.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a V1 since it came out. I bought a second one just for the 'rocket' All of the above comments ring true. There is no escape from 'instant on' I have had several detectors over many years. The V1 is far and away the best I've had. That being said, I've only had a Valentine the last 6-7 years. It's possible others are finally knocking at the door. I never rule out switching if it can be proved there's a better product.

Yes--I have had 1 ticket 4 yrs. ago with the V1. Desolated stretch of road--straight road-over a slight rise--late for work--instant on
75-55--got it written for 60-55. It wasn't with the Viper.
Moral---never speed to get to work--save the tickets for when you're having fun!(none since then)