Head unit install in 08 Coupe

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have done searches but have not found what I am looking for. I just got a 08 Venom Red Coupe. The only thing I don't like is the radio! I am probably going to get an Alpine IVA-D106 to install in it. I looked on the Metra website and they list a 70-6502 harness for it. Has anyone used this? I have seen all these posts on the older Vipers that did not have harnesses for them. The new ones are no big deal are they? I have yet to pull out the factory unit to look for myself, just wondering if anyone could give me a head up before I do. Thanks in advance guys.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the 08 is the same as 05, which I'd bet they are, thats the one you'll need. Just remember that you go color to color, and make sure you hook up the blue amplifier remote line. That way your factory amp turns on. If the amp doesn't turn on you get no sound. If you choose not to use the amp, you'll have to take out the passenger seat and wire past the amp. I didn't. Remember the factory amp is still better than deck power.:cool:

Also, every aftermarket plastic dash kit leaves something to be desired. I'm kinda used to the fact that its ugly. Sortof:dunno:

Remember the bottom shifter bezel has to come up to get at the bottom screw in the center bezel. You don't have to take the shifter ball off, just the trim ring bolts then the ring, then pull up on the plastic just behind the window switches. I just pulled it back an inch or two, and used a ratchet on the bottom screw if I remember correctly.:smirk:
I left this screw out on purpose, so next time I don't have to take the shifter bezel off.
Hope this helps.
Brad

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks alot. Did you put in a flip up unit? If so I would love to see some pics. Also did you replace any of your factory speakers at first? I am curious as to if the radio swap will help the horrible sound any:drive::crazy2: I have been involved in car audio for 18 years and I have always done all of my own work. I thought about modifying the dash for a double din, but for now a flip up will work. I was really disappointed with this factory setup. I mean really on a $93000 car you would think that Dodge would give us a little better stereo. I love the car though:)

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a flip-out in the H1, and am not really fond of how it looks. Plus, until this year, flip outs had a separate brain unit that I'd have to hide somewhere. Most new flip-outs are now one piece however. Another reason I decided against it was the fact that it covers the 2 vents above it.
I went with a JVC DVD player with a 3.5" screen.:smirk: I had no plans of trying to drive a stick and watch a movie, the only reason I even had a screen was for a reverse camera.:cool:
Believe it or not I don't have one in the H1, I can back that bus up alot easier than this car, seeing as I have the seat lowered 2" and compared to truck mirrors the mirrors on the Viper are pretty useless.
The reason I wasn't really happy with the plastic dash kit was the fact that the shape doesn't sit inside the bezel perfectly, and the JVC deck is a funny size:
The kit is meant to use the little plastic trim ring from a single din deck, but the JVC doesn't have one to allow for a bigger face.
And no, it won't improve the sound quality right away. I'm putting in JL 6" speakers in the front doors and tweets in the dash in the spring. It's -31 degrees here today:crazy2:

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, if I remember correctly, to put in a double din, not only will you have to cut up the bezel, youll have to hack up the inside of the dash for clearance.:omg: That personally scared me off of that idea.
I'd post how the single din looks, but I still haven't figured out how to post pics yet:(
Brad

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figured it out:
DSC00292.JPG

in progress:
DSC00270.JPG

As you can see, the trim piece isn't perfect

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the pics. Looks good. I have a Clarion flip up, but I am selling it. I am looking at the Alpine this time for this car. I hate the fact that it will block the vents too :( I was thinking about putting in a rear camera too! I am thinking about smoothing the finish on the kit and maybe color matching it to the radio trim. What do you think? Where did you get your overlay for the dash? How much? I really would like to cut her up and put in a double din. The only way though is to get another dash bezel and modify it. I am not cutting up the original. It looks like someone would make a dash bezel for these cars to house a double. :dunno:

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:)Funny.
I thought of smooting and color matching the plastic as well, but at the time I wasn't sure if I was keeping it there. If it stays there this summer, I'll pull it and try my hand at bondo, but on one that fits better than this one:smirk:
My dash isn't an overlay, mine came silver cause its a special edition:D
I have seen bezels on ebay for anywhere from 100 to 300. I'd wait for one around 100 before cutting it up.
Probably not enough of these cars made to warrant a special piece being made, especially since you'll still have to cut up the inside of the dash:(

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that all the kit would need is some light sanding to smooth it and then painting. I wonder what this panel would cost from the dealer? I wonder if any kit fits better than the other. Metra, Scoshe, or whoever... I know I had the kit and clarion in a 2004 Dodge truck and it did not fit perfect either. You could not really tell it though when the unit was open. You don't know anyone in the market for a clarion flip up in perfect condition do ya?

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, sanding and paint would probably work for you, not me though, I've got big gaps between the deck and the kit:mad:
Mine was Scosche, and fit terribly, so I'd try Metra, although they're probably made in the same place(same crappy wrinkle finish)
As for your Clarion, I'm sure someone would want it for the right price. Too bulky for our cars (separate brain), but will work great in almost anything else. Pain to install though:smirk:
Probably worth a couple hun to the right person:dunno:

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, obviously admittedly, I don't know much about the clarion. I'm assuming you want the alpine to match the rear speaker grill? I don't dislike my alpine flip-out although I can't say I really like it either.:dunno:
I know new is well... new, but I'd probably just stick with the clarion, as you're used to its idiosyncrasies already.
Which do you have, coupe or vert? Neither one is an ideal soundstage, and backup camera on vert is a pain:mad:
I've read a lot of reviews here, that just new spks will dramatically improve the sound. Makes sense as the factory amp is probably decent.

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a coupe. Yeah I want to match with Alpine. I will probably put Alpine speakers in too. I will iuse JL subs though.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coupe will be easier for wiring to the back for a camera:2tu:
Im not sure alpine makes the right speaker though. The speaker in the door is an odd size, its 6" not the usual 6.5":smirk:
If you add your VIN to your account and PM a moderator they'll update you to owner instead of enthusiast. What color coupe? Venom red?
:needpics:

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually don't have any pics on my camera yet, just my phone:rolleyes: I am getting my windows done this week. 5% tint:cool: I will definetly take some after I get my windows done. How do you post pics:dunno: Oh, BTW which JL's were you looking at for the front?

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JL VR600-CSi 6" components. Discontinued in the last month or so but should still be some kicking around;)
JL has awesome SQ, and the VR series are made in Germany, not China:D
If you find these tough to get, my next pick would be Diamond Audio. Excellent SQ as well, of course I'm partial to a silk dome tweeter. Supreme soft highs. No harshness. IMHO that is.
And to take the lazy way out without rewiring for the crossover I'll probaby just put in properly sized capacitors for the crossover. Well maybe, we'll see when I get started.

Instructions on how to post pics are in the top thread in New Owner Questions section.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of replacing the factory RB1 also with an older Eclipse flip-out that I pulled from another car that I'm selling. Question on the 70-6502 harness... is there a wiring diagram available for all the wires somewhere? Also, there's another harness plug there with 10 PINs, what is that for?
Thanks.

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have done searches but have not found what I am looking for. I just got a 08 Venom Red Coupe. The only thing I don't like is the radio! I am probably going to get an Alpine IVA-D106 to install in it. I looked on the Metra website and they list a 70-6502 harness for it. Has anyone used this? I have seen all these posts on the older Vipers that did not have harnesses for them. The new ones are no big deal are they? I have yet to pull out the factory unit to look for myself, just wondering if anyone could give me a head up before I do. Thanks in advance guys.

I was thinking about the same thing, did lots of research on this forum. After much of research and thinking I lean towards the Pioneer AVIC F900BT. This unit has every possible input, has a great GPS and I found it in the local Bay Area stereo shop for $850 installed. I hope to do the install by the end of this month.

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was thinking about the same thing, did lots of research on this forum. After much of research and thinking I lean towards the Pioneer AVIC F900BT. This unit has every possible input, has a great GPS and I found it in the local Bay Area stereo shop for $850 installed. I hope to do the install by the end of this month.

I installed this unit in my 08 just before I put it away for the winter and am very happy with it.

I'll post pics when it comes out of hibernation this weekend.

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed this unit in my 08 just before I put it away for the winter and am very happy with it.

I'll post pics when it comes out of hibernation this weekend.

When will it be coming out of hibernation? Please give me more info. Any details you have on the install process? What about your bezel, did you have to order any special parts or pieces?

Thanks.

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of that unit installed in an 08...

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I am curious if anyone has a premade bezel for installing a double din unit. I have been doing custom installs for almost 20 yrs. now, but call me lazy...I just do not want to mod the factory bezel. I am looking to put in an Alpine flip up unit but had prefer to do a double din if someone has a premade bezel.....:dunno:

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of that unit installed in an 08...

Could you get custom screens that say "weapons system armed", "nitrous pressure full", or something F&F like "Warning Manifold Pressure!" :lmao: etc?

I hate aftermarket head units because all of the buttons are so small, but I would do it just to get that picture on there. That is bad-ass!

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Timer how did you get that Viper logo on the screen? Does the manual has an explanation how to do it?

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I take it no one knows where they got their dash bezel, or who did it for them? :rolleyes: If someone was making these, of good quality, there should be a good demand on the site for them....

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Timer how did you get that Viper logo on the screen? Does the manual has an explanation how to do it?

I'm pretty sure it was in the manual. If you want the same logo, let me know what color you want and I will create it and send it to you.
Tim

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I take it no one knows where they got their dash bezel, or who did it for them? :rolleyes: If someone was making these, of good quality, there should be a good demand on the site for them....

My stock bezel was modified by a local Car Tunes. They hand filed the opening and then ended up hand sanding and then repainting it after it was completed.

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was in the manual. If you want the same logo, let me know what color you want and I will create it and send it to you.
Tim

Send you PM. I would actually love to have a Yellow Logo on a Black background.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960