Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They hand filed

:omg: No kidding... Here's how I would do it:

1) CNC mill (or manually operated mill)
2) Hand held router with guides
3) Dremel

Filing is something I did when I was a kid and could not afford proper tools...

I would go straight for #1 even though programming the mill will take some time... If your time is valuable, #2 or #3 are quicker choices...

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is, you need to do more than just cut or file the opening larger. You also need to ADD material to each side of the stereo opening in the bezel, as the factory stereo is quite a bit wider than an aftermarket double-din.:cool:

hdscreens

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figured it out:
DSC00292.JPG

in progress:
DSC00270.JPG

As you can see, the trim piece isn't perfect

Darbgnik,from what I understand your JVC deck is a 1.0 din. I was planning on getting a Dual XHD7714 for HD radio and it is a 1.0 din. The Dual deck is supposed to have a harness in the box. Would I just splice that harness with the Vipers factory harness or would I still need to order a Metra harness? Thanks!

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Darbgnik,from what I understand your JVC deck is a 1.0 din. I was planning on getting a Dual XHD7714 for HD radio and it is a 1.0 din. The Dual deck is supposed to have a harness in the box. Would I just splice that harness with the Vipers factory harness or would I still need to order a Metra harness? Thanks!

No, don't splice into your factory harness. The harness that comes with the deck is for the deck itself. Buy the Viper specific harness from scosche or metra, and splice the harnesses color to color, solder then tape. Then you plug one end into the deck and the other into the car. No cutting.