Header Install - Heat Shield Question??

Whipz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I am installing a set of American Racing Headers on my 2005 and I need some advise.
1. Do I need to reinstall the ugly factory heat shield?
2. Are the factory bolts okay to reuse or do I need a set of ARP's or some kind of locking bolt?
3. Confirm 220 Inch Pounds Torque? It doesn't sound like enough to me.
4. Should I use loctite or anti-seize on those bolts?

Thanks in advance...
g

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Whipz,

If you plan to track the car, I'd have them Jet Hot "or equivalent" coated before installation.

Stainless steel headers will get really hot on the track and can melt wiring, heat up your brake fluid, etc. even with the factory heat shields on Gen III cars.

Dan

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tator I am going with M&M headers. Should I send them off to get jet hot coated then also use the factory heat sheilds, or jet hot coated and no heat sheilds or just heat sheilds and no jet hot coated? What would tator do????:D

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tator I am going with M&M headers. Should I send them off to get jet hot coated then also use the factory heat sheilds, or jet hot coated and no heat sheilds or just heat sheilds and no jet hot coated? What would tator do????:D

M&M headers are already ceramic coated like jet hot. I do not run the heat sheilds with the coating but would love to here what Chuck thinks.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
M&M headers are already ceramic coated like jet hot. I do not run the heat sheilds with the coating but would love to here what Chuck thinks.

OH I didn't know that. Kool. Well should I expect any problems from a set of M&M headers when it comes to melting wires and boiling brake and clutch fluid? Im with you though still like to know if Tator suggest heat sheilds.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also you'll have to reshape them sheilds a to get them fit over the new headers...not a big deal, just flatten them out a bit with a mallet.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ceramic coatings work well, but run the ugly heat shields too.

Also, might help you pass smog if a visual is part of your emissions testing program.

Dan

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ceramic coatings work well, but run the ugly heat shields too.

Also, might help you pass smog if a visual is part of your emissions testing program.

Dan

Dan's got a good point about the visual inspection... That got me thinking - do the ugly heat shields fit the Gen IV cars? If they do, that might make it easier for me to make the decision to install headers :) I've been through hell with smog check issues, and I want to stack the cards in my favor if I'm going to go with headers eventually - or install ones that already have a CARB number on them (which nobody has right now).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine