HEADER INSTALL

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've decided to go a head and order the bellanger headers, high flow cats and exhaust system. I great sounding product with amazing HP gains.

The only concern I had, which delayed my decision, was the issue of heat off the newly installed headers. I read some earlier and archived posts that required caution on wiring and possible shielding of the clutch line. Kai had some issues with this on his install............

......however the discrepancy is ........

After discussing the product with some distributors and Bellanger in particular they did recommend re-installing the heat shield in order for additional dissipatation of heat. Also the wiring and clutch cable are not a concern and that the Bellanger system was a very easy install on the SRT-10. A complete zero modifications ,cutting or welding bolt on system

Just wanted some feed back from those who have installed the system and especially any heat issues on the header install. Archived posts go into a lot of depth on exhaust systems but hardly any posts on the header install.

Patrick

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used heat shields from DC Perfomrance w/ my belanger headers/exhaust, just thought for the $400 or so that it was cheap insurance.....

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
"I used heat shields from DC Perfomrance"

Same here, much better than stock heat shields... :2tu:

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've decided to go a head and order the bellanger headers, high flow cats and exhaust system. I great sounding product with amazing HP gains.

The only concern I had, which delayed my decision, was the issue of heat off the newly installed headers. I read some earlier and archived posts that required caution on wiring and possible shielding of the clutch line. Kai had some issues with this on his install............

......however the discrepancy is ........

After discussing the product with some distributors and Bellanger in particular they did recommend re-installing the heat shield in order for additional dissipatation of heat. Also the wiring and clutch cable are not a concern and that the Bellanger system was a very easy install on the SRT-10. A complete zero modifications ,cutting or welding bolt on system

Just wanted some feed back from those who have installed the system and especially any heat issues on the header install. Archived posts go into a lot of depth on exhaust systems but hardly any posts on the header install.

Patrick

amazing hp gains (lollolololol)
You must be registered for see images
(vipermad loves this one)

There is not one bit of proof. (on a stock car) maybe 10 rwhp if your lucky.

dude if I were you I would ask to see some dyno sheets 1st. b/f you dump 5 g's and then regret it. :buttkick:

vd..

ps you can get similar gains for a k&n kit. for $300 (stock car)

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
VIPERD, what do u mean its BS....i've heard the belanger system gives roughy 40hp gain...i'm ordering mine tmr. if u know anything i dont, i'd appreciate the info.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very cool Mod.......but don't expect more than 15-20 hp.....I think Gen 2's may have done better.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
This is an old subject that has been beaten to death. The Belangers are ceramic coated. Gains on Belanger's headers have been minimal and there have been some durability issues as well.

The B & B step headers - which are stainless steel - produced 40 + rwhp on my car. I had them coated inside and out. If I could post pictures, maybe I could get ViperD to realize that headers do help these cars, some headers more than others. ViperD is right about hp value per dollar, headers are expensive for what you get, but there are other benefits. The car definitely runs cooler and interior temps are cooler.

Actual street results when I did some "roll ons" with another Viper with the same mods and gears as mine were conclusive. He had the Belanger headers vs the B & B step headers I had. I crushed him. I could miss shifts, re-catch and pass him. The only difference was the headers.

At the Silver State Classic last year, I ran against several other Vipers with Paxtons. I had the headers, they didn't. I smoked them in the 1/2 mile drags. Dan Cragin will tell you, Paxton equipped cars hit a wall at about 700 rwhp without headers. Your stock exhaust is really pretty good. If I were you, I'd change the cats and the mufflers, but unless you are adding heads and cam, tracking the car or doing forced induction, you really don't need headers.

Bottom line is that headers help, some more than others but they are fairly expensive for what you get.

Good luck,

Dan

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
again on a stock car you will be lucky if you see more than 10-15 rwhp for 5K in parts. I can see 40 rwhp gains on viperx car b/c he has heads, and a paxton.

on stock gen 3's you can't fix whats not broken.

http://gallery.viperclub.org/showphoto.php/photo/20357/sort/1/cat/500/page/2

take that 5k ad another 3K and have a proven mod that will net you 200 rw hp. (paxton power)

vd..

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yah but u'll still need to add the exhaust and headers so that s/c can breath properly. and u don't want your superchared viper to sound weak. so exhaust is needed. but more importantly, won't you lose your factory warranty by putting on a s/c? and if that happens its all bad.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with both, "VIPER X" and "VIPER D". For the money headers are not a good investment, unless you plan on other upgrades (S/C for one). BTW,if you must, go with B&B, better gains with or without S/C... :cool:

OP
OP
W

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and responses.

I thought I had it all figured out and now a cunundrom. :buttkick:

I'll need to do additional research, however, whichever headers I choose I have three options on the issue of heat shielding.

Remove the stock shield completely.
Install DC Performance shield
Get them coated.

Nothing would piss me off more then to have serious problems with melted wiring cables. Eveything else is secondary to this.

Thanks again.
Patrick

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MY CAR SHOOTS FLAMES, makes 700rwhp, and is as loud as a bike. all on stock hraders!!!!!! So I think you are mistaken.

also my cust made exhause is for sale due to my car being converted to twin turbo.

vd..

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
how much did u pay for ur supercharger? and how much for labor? and did u put a flame thrower kit on your car or does it throw flames on its own? and how is that possible unless u took ur cats off and your car is misfiring? anyways im not doubting what ur saying, i just want to see if you know something i don't. besides i love the sound of the srt10 with belanger system, its incredible. and i would get good performance if i added the s/c on top of the exhaust. but thats too much power for right now. and im not ashamed of admiting i need to learn how to get the max performance out of my car first (perfect launch & controlling wheel spin) so i dont end up losing control and losing a $80k car.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wormdoggy,

If you buy headers, get them coated and at least use the factory head shields. The aftermarket heat shields are better, but I have never needed them.

Dan

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ran an experiment tonight....a friend of mine has the full bellanger system, 02 syms without cats, no cross over pipe, k&n intake...no other mods. stock tires, suspension..etc.

my car is totally stock.

2nd gear roll...3000 rpm....we both nail it on the 3rd honk. 2nd gear through 3rd gear and into 4th.

he pulled away from me every time, not just a little....by the time I got into 4th gear he had at least a car and a half on me.

we ran it 3 times....same results each time

so I don't know what the deal is with the dyno numbers....his car is faster.

maybe the big gains are in the mid range or somewhere else besides top end.

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yah but u'll still need to add the exhaust and headers so that s/c can breath properly. and u don't want your superchared viper to sound weak. so exhaust is needed. but more importantly, won't you lose your factory warranty by putting on a s/c? and if that happens its all bad.

I seem to be breathing just fine with the stock exhaust- when did you supercharge your viper?

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
BLKSNAKE,

Scary but true. $300.00 worth of K&N's may make more power on a stock car than $5000.00 worth of Belanger headers.

OP
OP
W

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is DC Performance the only ones that produce after market shields for the Vipers or are they the best for the buck?

Since we seem to lack in a lot of performance mods, I don't know if anyone in Canada coats the shields (sorry I meant headers ) like you guys recommend in the US. I would have to have the seller ship them to the company that does the coating and then to Canada. Woosh............ :hitfan:

Would seem easier just to order the shields.

Patrick

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone in Canada coats the shields like you guys recommend in the US.

you don't coat the shields....you should coat the headers if they don't come coated. My understanding is the bellangers COME coated.

btw....IMO...the full exhaust system is worth it for the sound alone. Last week my buddy and I were out with some other friends. He left early and put on a sideways show.....first thing I heard when his car was out of ear range was.."DAMN WHEN IS YOUR CAR GONNA SOUND LIKE THAT?!?!" His car sounds wicked HAHA

my system is ordered

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a race through 2nd, 3rd amd 4th, a car length and a half doesnt equate to much of a difference is horsepower. That is a pretty long distance. the difference is horspower could be as little as 10-20 horse total.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like a couple of people have said above, I'd spend the money on a Paxton, but if you must do headers, I'd go for B&B, or something besides Bellanger. I put them on my '99 and gained nothing.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ran an experiment tonight....a friend of mine has the full bellanger system, 02 syms without cats, no cross over pipe, k&n intake...no other mods. stock tires, suspension..etc.

my car is totally stock.

2nd gear roll...3000 rpm....we both nail it on the 3rd honk. 2nd gear through 3rd gear and into 4th.

he pulled away from me every time, not just a little....by the time I got into 4th gear he had at least a car and a half on me.

we ran it 3 times....same results each time

so I don't know what the deal is with the dyno numbers....his car is faster.

maybe the big gains are in the mid range or somewhere else besides top end.

YOUR FRIEND GAINED ALL HIS EXTRA HP B/C OF NO CATS, NOT THE HEADERS. remove your cats and see.

vd..

OP
OP
W

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great responses. Seems to meet the floor is divided between Bellanger and B&B if one decides to go with headers.

Sound/ ease of installation/ and protection of the engine components are vital concerns to me. All else is secondary.

While I was doing my search on headers I came across a PDF file on Corsa installation. I've seen this on the Borla but never on the Corsa and I remember a lot of guys were asking for something like this. Its a bit off topic to the current discussion but it might be of value to those concerned. I wish I could find this for the bellanger but I have been told that the bellanger comes with instructions when shipped.

Here you go...........

http://www.corsaperf.com/installViperTrack.pdf

Thanks
Patrick

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seem to be breathing just fine with the stock exhaust- when did you supercharge your viper?

BLKSNAKE i havent supercharged my car yet. i was planning on doing it so i can smoke my buddies 04'Gallardo but after just speaking to my local dealer and being told my warranty will be void, i doubt i'll do it.

OP
OP
W

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to aske one final question. Did anyone of you guys who installed after market headers change the spark plug wires to higher heat resistant wires.

I believe MAGNECOR makes the best brand.

Thanks
Patrick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960