header upgrades: what are the real benefits?

GTSII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have carried out several minimal mods to my 96 GTS, with the idea of getting the best out of an essentially stock car:

smooth intake tubes, K&N's, Corsa 3" cat-back:
to "free the gasses" and "kill the drones"

braided SS brake lines, brakeman pads, porsche front brake air deflectors, castrol fluid:
to improve brake feel and high temperature performance

thinned suspension shims:
to somewhat lower the car and (marginally...) improve handling

What would be the real benefits of going to after-market headers?

And are there any other upgrades you would reccomend, in keeping with the above?

Thanks!

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers certainly benefit early Gen II cars more so than 2000 and later models. So if I had an earlier year Viper I would definetly get a set of headers. I think most report 20 to 30 hp gains with these alone.

Take care over there.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But don't some get headers for the sound difference, or is that entirely a cats and cat-back thing? The sound, I mean, not increased horsepower. Just talking about sound - which is most definitely a benefit! :)

You must be registered for see images

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But don't some get headers for the sound difference, or is that entirely a cats and cat-back thing? The sound, I mean, not increased horsepower. Just talking about sound - which is most definitely a benefit! :)

From my experience, hi-flo cats gave the car a little more tone. I have heard cars with headers and it seemed to increase the sound equal to the cats IMO.

The biggest sound change I feel for the Viper is deleting the cats all together. This will dramatically change the exhaust note. Alot louder and crisper, but it is too much for me, so I will keep cats or a muffler in the sills. Oh yeah, I have been happiest with hi-flo cats and a muffler delete setup. It improves the sound of the car enough for me and easy and cheap to do.

GTSII - A few months back there were some good deals on Belanger headers from BTR. You may want to consider giving Tom a call.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A properly tuned header will enhance the tone or "note" of your exhaust system, not to mention give free horsepower due to its tuned design. I use and offer Belanger headers, which I feel to be the industry leader. They are a 3 into 2 into 1 design that scavenges very well, and makes a nice fit thru the very tight frame area of the Viper. They never rattle against the frame like some 5 into 1 collector headers. Your 96 with a good catback will make a 50+ hp gain over stock.

Feel free to contact me with questions and to place your order.

Tom

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSII -- If you are looking to spend some money to improve the overall sound and performance of your 96 Viper, may I suggest the following mods.

Your 96 factory headers are cast iron the after market headers are much lighter, made out of aluminized steel which is lighter, and disepates heat faster.

If you like the sound of your Corsa now, you will love the HF Cats / Headers combo. Again cooler sills and weight loss, when compared to stock cats. Now you have a complete symphony, and a system worthy of the awesome power the V10 deserves.

My new mods are HF Cats(Random Tech Metal Substrate), Bellenger Headers, and existing 3" Corsa Catback exhaust.
The car dynoed last week at 431rwhp and 472rwt respectively. The Torque Curve at 2600 rpm is 410, and 472 at 4350rpm, nice flat inclinding plateau. At full WOT, Oh my God, even my wife likes it :confused: .

OP
OP
G

GTSII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

thanks for all the feed-back! I guess this sounds like something I will be looking more closely at in the near future...

What are the possible down sides, if any?

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

thanks for all the feed-back! I guess this sounds like something I will be looking more closely at in the near future...

What are the possible down sides, if any?
Down side? COST is WAY out of line compared to other auto headers!

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i started with corsa catback; loved it. then finally did the random tech hiflo cats; loved it even more. then after two years of procrastination did belanger headers; EXCELLENT. i now have a complete top notch great sounding exhaust system. do it you wont regreat it. my only regret is i took too long to do it.

OP
OP
G

GTSII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i started with corsa catback; loved it. then finally did the random tech hiflo cats; loved it even more. then after two years of procrastination did belanger headers; EXCELLENT. i now have a complete top notch great sounding exhaust system. do it you wont regreat it. my only regret is i took too long to do it.

hhmmm... it sounds like I may well be retracing your path. But, before I do...

did you notice any actual performance improvements with the high-flow cats?

as well as "improving" the sound :D , did they also make it much louder :mad: ?

ditto for the belangers.

Thanks for sharing!

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
INTAKE---------ENGINE---------EXHAUST(header/pipe and cats/cat-back)

INTAKE-Gets air into engine,tubes/filter gets more air in engine

Engine-air+fuel in cylinder=POWER,BUT,engines,after firing(exploding air/fuel mixture in cylinder)has OVERLAP(the point when intake AND exhaust are both open when difference of pressure,tries to **** in previously expended gases back into cylinder),SO........

EXHAUST-upgraded exhuast header will help prevent above which=MORE POWER :ooo:
-pipe w/hi-flow cats will also help get out gases quicker than stock system=MORE POWER :)
-cat-back will help flow after cats,but also improve in muffler flow,also=MORE POWER :laugh:

also,after the header or cats,if you can install a crossover pipe,or x-pipe,will also help.In olden days,crossover pipe used (l-l)But know,an x-pipe(X)is better.You can see the flow in each of above examples.Also=MORE POWER. :D

UPGRADES:intake(you've done)
exhaust-the rest
engine-plugs(overgap)ignition box(MSD),wires,throttle bodies,chip upgrade
driveline-tranny-short shift shifter,clutch,flywheel,etc
suspension-shocks,sway bars,springs,etc
:cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper