Headers and Exhaust Test

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This header/exhaust topic seems to come up over and over. What if I were to conduct a test with: 1) cat backs only and measure HP before and after using Borla, HMS, SVSi, TNT, Corsa, ect.

Then do headers only measuring HP before and after.
(Borla, HMS, TNT, SVSi, Belanger, ect)

Then do "complete" exhaust systems and measure HP before and after.

The test will be on a stock 96 R/T with Arrow Rebuild 8K ago.

I'd put together a spread sheet of price, HP increases/decreases, modifications required to install, ect all factual data.

What do you think?

Dave
96 R/T

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,
We all wanted this YESTERDAY (or before) !!!!
GO FOR IT.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

What other mods are there on the Viper you are using to test the exhaust systems?? Hopefully few.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you're planning on paying for all of these systems personally, but you might want to check with Dan Cragin before you shell out all that cash. I believe he has already performed the same tests.

Matt

OP
OP
N

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Larry, that would be helpful.

Matt, I didn't plan on purchasing all these systems. It would seem to me that if a manufacturer/tuner wants to sell his product, he'd put it up for head to head test with others. After all, would you buy a claimed HP product when the MFG had a chance to test it in a vendor neutral setting and chose not to? I wouldn't.

It does appear that after reviewing Sean's, Tom's and Dan's extensive testing, there may be less of a need for this test. Factors such as corrosion resistance are rather irrelevant to me personally as my car is not a daily driver and does not get subjected to such elements.

I am aware of quality differences between mild steel and stainless steels, but, I believe it's up to the buyer to make a decision as to how much $$$ that perceived "quality" difference is worth. In my proposed setting, no smoke, no tech talk, just looking at the HP differences.

Thanks for the input and keep it comming.

Dave

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can just about guarantee you will not get the tuners (or most of them) to "donate" anything for testing. They have sold enough units out there for someone to do it themselves. This type of thing has come up before with little or no support. This is why people like Ben Treynor are so valuable to this board. Search for his mod list. He purchased, at retail, all of his performance parts. Good Luck!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As per Elite1's request (posted in wrong thread previously):

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elite1:
I think anytime a comparison like what you mentioned is done it can only provide the max data for informed purchases in the future. I have been considering a catback or possibly just doing something like powerFx mufflers and tips since that may provide the least problems since my 2001 computer seems to be causing people a lot of problems. I guess at this point I'm mostly interested n getting a better sound than raw HP since I'm not ready to make the leap to do a complete exhaust which sounds like it may not even be possible on a 2001 w/o having the computer freak. Go for it. Information is POWER!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reaction score
N. Calif. Viper owners who want to see and hear CDI, TNT, and Balenger headers join us at the "Happy Days Diner" Union near Curtner in Campbell. Time: late afternoon to closing time 9:00 pm.