Headlight discoloration solved and fixed

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both my previously owned 94 and my current 97 had a problem with the headlight covers discoloring. Both cars were low mileage and both had a yellow checkering over the entire assembly. I read on this board several times that it could not be fixed. I tried several times with a plastic rubbing compound to clean the covers, however, it did not work.

Just recently I became serious. I used a 20,000 rpm die grinder with a 4" loose buffing wheel. Once the coating is removed with the "loose" wheel you switch to a string wheel. I also used a solid stick style buffing compound. I bought both from Eastwood Company. It is not easy and you have to use a compressor with sufficient capacity. If you cannot maintain 90 psi it won't work, or it will take too long. All I can say is you can get the lens looking close to factory original.

It appears that the coating is some sort of clearcoat to protect the lens, however, something chemically attacks the coating and discolors it. Once you are thru the checkered clearcoat you will see the actual headlight cover. The reason I say chemically attacked, both, of my cars were low mileage and low sun.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack- Thats very interesting info. My lenses just started to flake this month. Wondered what the heck I could do to address it in the future. Thanks!

Scorch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I am in the automotive lighting business. You do not want to remove this coating. It prevents the polycarbonate lens from turning yellow by protecting it from ultraviolet rays. Your headlamps may not look good to you now but they are going to look a whole lot worse after the entire lens turns yellow. If you don't believe me check out a lot of older Ford's (Tempo, Topaz, Taurus, Sable). The headlamps are trashed because the protective coating wasn't very good.

I'm not sure what causes the discoloring of the coating but I would not recommend removing it.

Jeff, if your Viper is under warranty, get the headlamps replaced. The coating should never flake or peel off.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scorch:

The POSSIBLE future look and/or function cannot be any worse then what I started with. I would agree with you if the coating was working, however, it is not. This is really very simple, if they do get worse I will replace them, which I would have had to do anyhow. I did this over ninety days ago and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the areas that have the coating removed.

The problem is that no one can even explain why the condition exists. Logic would say if you cannot explain why it is happening how can you project what the coating removal would do. I will keep the board informed of any negative results. Until someone tries a fix and tracks the results we will not know for sure.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a clearcoat anti-uv spray that Jack B could use on his lenses after stripping off the old cracked coating?? Can't be rocket science. Perhaps Scorch could answer?

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My SC400, and Supra headlights go yellow after a while. Takes them about a year or two. I just run the buffer over them with some car polish, and it takes the yellow off in about 5 minutes each. I had assumed it was something like oily road spray cooking on? They are made of some kind of plastic, and come up clear as a bell each time I do it. Scorch, am I doing something bad?

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my business I run across yellow lights all the time.All I do is buff them,then apply brake fluid to them and theyre clean again.

Joe

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my business I run across yellow lights all the time.All I do is buff them,then apply brake fluid to them and theyre clean again.

Joe

Brake fluid?! Geez, gotta be careful not to get it on the paint while doing that though!

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the flaking happen as well. What I did was get one of those stiff sponges to remove the bugs off cars, took the flakes off and applied the 3M headlight covers. That took care of any yellowing. The covers are UV protectants and absorb impacts. I have had them on for years now w/o any yellowing, no elbow or air compressor grease needed.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack B. (or anyone that can help),

How are the headlights holding up? I am having the same problem with my '98 GTS - the coating (or whatever it is) is flaking/chipping/pealing. I guess the first question I should pose before doing any work is, "are these covered under the extended warantee"? I was going to try and wet-sand the coating off (1000 grit, then 1500 grit, then 2000 grit) followed by buffing. I don't have access to a die grinder, and have to experience with one.... But I'm pretty good with the paper/buffer.