Headroom

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'2 and change...(6'3 on the Internet) and I have plenty of head room in my Gen 2. Trouble is, my knees are right on the dash and when wearing sun glasses if I turn my head to the left when changing lanes I jam the glasses into my nose. Christ, I can't imagine anybody 6'5 or better comfortably driving ANY Viper.

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im 6'1" 210lb and I finally found the spacers today and removed them. It's a big improvement, I don't hunch over now.
Thanks for posting the pics of what they look like.

OP
OP
B

Bildad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went back this weekend to do a re-test fit after moving the pedals and found they were already as far back as they would go. I'm not not a heavy guy, only 185 so it's not that. If I didn't need to ever wear a helmet it would be ok, but I don't see that happening. Not taking it to the track would be like asking a dog not to bark. I'll have to rule it out then. That's a shame. I assumed as an american car it would have ample headroom, but it seems it was designed with asians in mind. :(

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went back this weekend to do a re-test fit after moving the pedals and found they were already as far back as they would go. I'm not not a heavy guy, only 185 so it's not that. If I didn't need to ever wear a helmet it would be ok, but I don't see that happening. Not taking it to the track would be like asking a dog not to bark. I'll have to rule it out then. That's a shame. I assumed as an american car it would have ample headroom, but it seems it was designed with asians in mind. :(

I found a local TA, I'm going by this week to see how it fits, since some say the headroom is better. I'll throw my helmet in my car for the test. Like you, I could survive with it if I never wore a helmet, but not tracking a play-car means it's not a play-car to me. Crossing my fingers on the TA room.

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mblgjr....at 285 lbs you probably don't have too much "head" room in the shower either....hehehe

I'll be the first to admit I'm fat; lol. But I can still see it!

After driving the car about 16 hours total; 11hours straight, my only real complaint is the pedal assembly being moved so far outboard to the left. I understand "why"; I just don't like it long term. I may even remove the dead pedal and trim down the left side of the clutch pedal so I don't catch the edge of it.

1-2 hours of driving the car is a non issue. I wish the static height of the clutch pedal was lower w/quicker ratio release cylinder.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im 6'1" 210lb and I finally found the spacers today and removed them. It's a big improvement, I don't hunch over now.
Thanks for posting the pics of what they look like.

I'm only an hour north of you. Do you know anything about the Talladega GranPrix circuit events? Or lmk if you'd want to meet up for one. I have a friend big into autoX and that stuff if interested.

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm only an hour north of you. Do you know anything about the Talladega GranPrix circuit events? Or lmk if you'd want to meet up for one. I have a friend big into autoX and that stuff if interested.

I heard a little about this weekend but not enough to say I do lol Maybe we can sync up sometime. I gotta take my car in maybe next week for some warranty work in Bham. Let me know if you can grab a bite to eat while I'm there.

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck w/ the dealer up here; I heard Montgomery wasn't SRT certified and didn't get an allocation; etc. Which is a shame, because they used to be an excellent place.

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I almost bought the Gun metal grey one in bham but got a better deal somewhere else. Yea, driving up there to have it serviced kinda ***** but like you said MGM aren't Viper certified.

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OH, BTW.. the sales guy I spoke with in Bham does track days and wanted me to come out and test drive it at Barbers. He may know about the talladega question you had. I'll ask when I take my car in.

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent you a PM. Lmk the name of gentleman you referenced to.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went by and tried a TA with my helmet today. Definitely seemed to have more headroom, but I still need about a half inch to be OK. So close. Definitely ok for street but the helmet is touching. I may check on low profile helmets, that may help. Where's the friggin vert ?!? Oh nevermind.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would it cost to customize your Gen V to a removable hard top? I suppose if they don't make one...make your own.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would it cost to customize your Gen V to a removable hard top? I suppose if they don't make one...make your own.

Haha, yea I'd call it the Z07. Doh!

I was thinking how one could perhaps modify the headliner so it's thinner. Problem is when you're talking $110k it's painful to think about compromising or having to solve a figment challenge.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell, if you can get a Gen V for $45k off MSRP...seems blowing $20-30k on something like that and have it professionally done would be logical.

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would it cost to customize your Gen V to a removable hard top? I suppose if they don't make one...make your own

Cheaper to modify the helmet. You know...make the top inch removable. I am 5'10 and still bump my head ever so slightly getting in and out sometimes (girlfriend certifies that my rearend is about average which is good...alas she also certifies that frontend is average too). Going to try that spacer thingy removal. My V is an almost daily driver. It's so much fun and easier to drive than my previous III and II, that any minor inconveniences become acceptable. I curse every time the weather forecast is 40%+ showers/storms and I reluctantly grab the keys to my devastatingly boring daily driver.

Last edited:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your girlfriend has "certified that your front end is average". And what makes you think she's qualified to make that assessment? :rolaugh:

Last edited:

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'2 and change...(6'3 on the Internet) and I have plenty of head room in my Gen 2. Trouble is, my knees are right on the dash and when wearing sun glasses if I turn my head to the left when changing lanes I jam the glasses into my nose. Christ, I can't imagine anybody 6'5 or better comfortably driving ANY Viper.

Thats my biggest problem, my legs and knees are wedged between the dash and steering wheel, I can not let out the clutch with out shifting my body off to the right. I could never race the car on a track, its hard just driving on the street, but I love the car, so I do not care.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats my biggest problem, my legs and knees are wedged between the dash and steering wheel, I can not let out the clutch with out shifting my body off to the right. I could never race the car on a track, its hard just driving on the street, but I love the car, so I do not care.
Yea, for the street I could live with it fine just so I could have the car. For me though I'd have to track it so it's a helmet issue. But I agree, if tracking isn't in the future then it's not a killer problem.