Heat from transmission/console

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know that people get rid of the crossovers to reduce heat, but people seem to mention that in relationship to floorboard heat. What about the heat coming up from the center console/transmission area? Is this caused by the crossovers or is this the transmission (or something else)? Is there anything to do about that heat? It is more bothersome to me then the heat in the floorboard, as resting my arm on a hot console isn't fun in 90 degree heat.

Shawn

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
buy a car with a smaller motor:) the viper will run u out with heat- period!!!!!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if u cant handle it- well i dont know what to tell u- u will never get a cool interior from a v-10=== common sense

OP
OP
S

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ah, thanks...now I understand, interiors are coolest on a 4, and warm exponentially up to 12.

I'll check the boot. Thanks!

Shawn

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid a lot of money for "radiant heat" while I was building my home. Now I buy a Viper and get it for free, not to mention all the fun I'm having driving her! Works well even when my top's down and it's in the 50's outside at well over 120 MPH! Yes, the console puts out a bit of heat sometimes, but nothing compared to the side pipes. My Z06 isn't better where console heat is concerned, in fact it's worse.

OP
OP
S

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ahh yes, the radiant heat option! Wish there was a radiant heat delete! I'm going to do the full monty on the car to get it cool enough to drive in Florida summers. I really want to drive this car all year round :)

LynnS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that people get rid of the crossovers to reduce heat, but people seem to mention that in relationship to floorboard heat. What about the heat coming up from the center console/transmission area? Is this caused by the crossovers or is this the transmission (or something else)? Is there anything to do about that heat? It is more bothersome to me then the heat in the floorboard, as resting my arm on a hot console isn't fun in 90 degree heat.

Shawn
Shawn: I removed the aluminum belly pan from beneath the transmission and rear end and the center console heat situation was immediately bettered. Its not difficult to do and as long as you stay below 150 mph I would think the increased drag shouldn't be too much of a problem. Give it a try, you can always bolt it back up. In addition, the removal stopped the rattling/drumming of the belly pan on rough streets. Thanks - Lynn

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I HIGHLY recommend leaving the undertray (shield) on the car.

Do you see something wrong with this picture?

That is the signature of a semi truck retread tire left on the undertray after I hit it at 60MPH getting on the freeway.

You must be registered for see images attach

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wonder if you could cut some vent holes. slits, and get some ventilation and still keep protection, air flow and structural integrity :dunno:

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the undertray not required for structural strength? Is that not why it has all the big bolts holding it on?:dunno:

No.

It's for airflow control underneath the car and protection (see my picture above the fan pic)

The frame on these cars is unbelievably strong and does not need this piece of metal for any rigidity.

The big bolts keep the undertray affixed to the frame when the car is traveling at high velocities.

Dodge put it there for a reason. I would not remove it.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've Never noticed any heat coming for the console.....even in florida summer heat. Weird.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey spmorgan - any luck on cooling the interior? anyone else cool an SRT interior with or without exhaust mods?

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shawn: I removed the aluminum belly pan from beneath the transmission and rear end and the center console heat situation was immediately bettered. Its not difficult to do and as long as you stay below 150 mph I would think the increased drag shouldn't be too much of a problem. Give it a try, you can always bolt it back up. In addition, the removal stopped the rattling/drumming of the belly pan on rough streets. Thanks - Lynn

Hiya Lynn - I'm too lazy to type tonight, but regarding the belly pan, just a bit of insight.. see my first reply in this Post.. the long babbling paragraph..

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/633537-built-some-solid-motor-mounts.html

I'm not sure where xjrguy is getting info from.. yet frame racking is common on a ladder type of frame, so much even the late 90's to 2000's Vipers had an issue and 998 / 999 recalls comprised of gussets were required..

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh