Heat Insulation in Side Exhaust Covers

MAMBA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another post I have removed the side exhaust covers to repaint as well as the front fascia. I noticed that the foil heat insulation inside the cover is held in place with aluminum rivets. The heads of the rivets show from the outside, both top and bottom of exhaust cover. Is this correct? I wouldn't think the factory would have rivet heads showing from the top and bottom side. Even though they are painted they are obviously still quite visible. If this is not correct, how should the foil heat shield be held in place.
Once again thanks for everyone's help.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, that is factory. That is part of the reason for the corrosion. Newer covers no longer used rivets.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are having these resprayed...have the rivits removed and patched by someone who knows aluminum.

Glue the insulation back in like they do with 96-up Vipers.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are having these resprayed...have the rivits removed and patched by someone who knows aluminum.

Glue the insulation back in like they do with 96-up Vipers.

What kind of glue works with all the heat from the exhaust? Unfortionately for me, my GTS has the rivets too.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS's do not have the rivets that GENI's do. Their corrosion issues are because of unlined insulation absorbing water, just on the 96 ~ 98 cars I think. In addition, I see no reason to glue in the insulation inside the sills as the cat / resonators are always pressing it against the sill anyway. Wrong glue could = fire.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The glue seems to lose it's hold on the insulation anyway. The first time I removed my sills on my 2000 after 6 months of ownership, the insulation had separated from the sills. You could still see the blobs of glue.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS's do not have the rivets that GENI's do. Their corrosion issues are because of unlined insulation absorbing water, just on the 96 ~ 98 cars I think. In addition, I see no reason to glue in the insulation inside the sills as the cat / resonators are always pressing it against the sill anyway. Wrong glue could = fire.

Early 96 GTS's still have the rivets. Wish I was wrong but that is where I am corroding. One actually pulled all the way out.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard people using a hightemp silicone. Even if it just holds it in place during the install. But, research very high temp silicone, like call vendors directly.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simms,

Where are the rivets on your sills? Curious as my 1996 has none that hold the insulation, just a few that hold the rear cap on.

Thanks

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simms,

Where are the rivets on your sills? Curious as my 1996 has none that hold the insulation, just a few that hold the rear cap on.

Thanks

They are in the same spots as the Gen1's. :( My car is no. 371. Must just be early production cars because I have also seen 96's without them.

I can take a pic tonight.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you ever get water in between your insulation and sill (meaning anytime you drive in rain or wash and spray water up there) do whatever necessary to dry out. Do not just park in garage and let it dry. Take a fan or whatever.

Otherwise, think about it. The area is enclosed, like a tunnel. The insulation is wet. Do you know how long it will take to dry out? A long time.

While that is happening corrosion is forming inside the sill and the rivits make it worse. The heat is another factor. The rivits go straight through the insulation and are the closest thing to the exhaust. They get hot much quicker than the hole which is on the other side of the insulation. This causes movement and flexing between the rivit and the hole. Corrosion will get into the holes and before you know it you have bubbles on the outside. Soon a total repair and repaint of sills if not a total loss of sills will occur.

Luckily, I've never had mine wet and I have no corrosion inside or around the rivits.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A suggestion would be to line the outer, against the sill, side of the insulation with an aluminum foil or aluminized thin insulation (available at JEGS for example) in order to keep the moisture from direct contact.