Heat Shields & Headers

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have Belanger headers installed. I do not have the heat shields on.

I read a few posts about engine fires. Where these fires actually caused from the brake fluid catching fire or the famous power steering cap flying off (would not have come from exhaust heat)?

How many here are running headers without heat shields? How many miles have you done so?

Will the stock shields even fit?

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been running hennessey headers for 2000 miles now, did nt notice any heat that I haven't noticed before. I dont have heat shields on mine and the stock ones dont fit.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers were put on without heat shields in late 94, 17,000 miles later and no fire yet I'm happy to report.
embarass.gif

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had Belanger headers on since May of 01. No heat shields. 10K miles. No problems whatsoever. I am one who lost my power steering cap when the car was new--still had heat shields on then. No fluid had come out when I discovered the cap missing--very lucky. I check the PS cap every time the hood is open. Actually, I now check every cap every time the hood is open.

Steve

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry....Pete here...I have Belanger headers as well, and left the heat shields off. I did this after speaking with Lou Belanger at his shop close to me here in Arizona, where it REALLY gets hot. It is their recommendation that you leave them off, but several of the DESERT VENOM guys, our Viper racers, have them on their cars with the Belanger headers because of the sustained high rpm and heat build up from racing. You CAN tweak and bend and fiddle with the shields to get them on, but I myself have had no problems on my street driven only car. I have seen other headers which are closer to some under-hood things, but the Belangers don't seem to be right up against anything critical. I know....I know.....other club members have posted other experiences.....this is mine. AND the opinion of the guys who make them and install them. PS> I have stock wires, plug boots, etc. and everything is OK. pete the ex glass guy and hot rodder

Reaction score
While using HMS Headers, I have not run heat shields for the last 33K miles. No heat problems with Magnacore wires etc. I think if you loose a PS pump cap you might be toast regardless of running heat shields or not! Check the cap often.

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted a question several months ago regarding the removal of heat shields from stock headers (just because I thought it would look cool). I received so many horror stories or scenarios for potential horror stories that I decided to forget about it.

Anybody out there with stock headers and no heat shields?

SurfSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have lost my power steering cap once and didnt install my headers yet. Is there an aftermarket cap you can buy to solve this problem? Or anything else that could be done to keep the oem cap from coming off? What causes this ?

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I would't buy Belanger Headers again due to the incessant leaking at the 2-1 flange, the stock heat shields will fit if you flatten them out. Just place the shield on the floor and step on the inside of the shield untill the curves are flat. don't flatten the left and right corners of the shield where it wraps around the pipes. I use the heat shields on my headers with no problems.

OP
OP
J

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is why I like this board. Quick “real world” responses from other Viper owners.

I have been running about 1000 miles without problems. My headers are coated and I have socks on my plug wires, I am not using the stock plug wire heat shields either.

I was going to put the heat shields on this weekend. I know with some bending and tweaking, I would be able to get them to fit but not look real pretty. For now, I will leave them off unless I hear some serious stories.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm the guy that started the thread about an underhood fire that started because the p/s cap came off and landed on the header collector and ignited. The fire had nothing whatsoever to do with the Belanger headers which I have run for about 15,000 miles without heat shields and no problems of any kind whatsoever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc