Heffner + Mid-South Viper + TorqueFreaks =

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One very fine running package! This is a Heffner Novi 2000 system installed by David Yelensky at Mid-South Viper near Nashville. David is a full-time Viper tech and does performance modifications as well. He is also very meticulous and did a great job installing my Heffner setup. I went with the AEM EMS, in large part because I wanted to use knock sensors, and John Reed from TorqueFreaks (www.torquefreaks.com) flew in to tune the car. The dyno sheet is below, and while I was very satisfied with the power and torque on 93 octane, the amazing thing is that the car drives better than stock. That's right, better than stock. The car runs very, very smooth, which is amazing with 75 lb injectors, and is a complete pussycat--until you hit the gas. There is definitely some more power in this setup if we want to do some more with the tuning or up the octane or boost, but it may be a while before I learn to manage what I've got. :eek: Jason is obviously well-known around here, but I wanted to make people in the Southeast aware of David's expertise, and make everyone aware of TorqueFreaks. John, Jason, Chris and the crew at TorqueFreaks were extremely professional and easy to deal with, and I'm sure I'll have John come back out in the not too distant future to play around with the traction control and teach me some other tricks. You can't go wrong with any of these guys!

3508max_pwr_and_torque-med.jpg

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice! :2tu:

I am assuming this is with heads/cam/rockers? How much boost?

Did you have it tuned in previously with the VEC2 or split second?

Congrats again!

OP
OP
R

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, heads/cam/rockers. The dyno sheet says 12 psi, but I think that run actually made between 13 and 14 psi. I need to go back and look at the datalogging and see (another huge benefit of the AEM). This setup was installed along with the AEM--my previous setup was a Roe s/c using the VEC2.

Woody

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome Numbers. I am only about 2 hours from Nashville. I may have to take a trip to see David.

Stock Pistons?

OP
OP
R

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock Pistons?

Surely you jest! :D I had David put forged pistons in before installing the blower, and we upgraded the lifters and pushrods as well. If you're going to up the boost on your Roe setup, I would highly recommend changing the pistons. Otherwise you may wind up with what I found when we pulled the pistons:

3508R_RANGE_VIPER_GTS_JUNE_2004_070.jpg

Notice something missing there? :eek: The cast pistons just do not have enough material above the top ring land.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you post some pics of the beast.

congrats on the nice #'s. How much rwhp did you gain from the switch from roe to paxton?

vd..

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you post some pics of the beast.

congrats on the nice #'s. How much rwhp did you gain from the switch from roe to paxton?

vd..

I think there were a few "extra" changes from his Roe set up to this new set up. The new set up is a Heffner system, not a Paxton system.

Nice numbers Ronnie. Did you dyno before the AEM after the Heffner install ?

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RedGTS,

I'm curious why you went with the Novi 2000 rather than the Vortec Heffner usually uses? Was it simply a Paxton kit with a custom install?

I've heard the Novi 2000 is more efficient. Anyone know or have compressor maps for these units?

OP
OP
R

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the engine:

3508SC_VIPER_003-med.jpg

I gained a shade over 300 rwhp from my previous setup.

I think there were a few "extra" changes from his Roe set up to this new set up. The new set up is a Heffner system, not a Paxton system.

Whaddya mean Tony, you know this is the basic Paxton kit! 1,000+ crank hp for $6,995! :headbang:

I wish!! Tony is right, this is a custom Heffner setup using the Novi 2000, and has a lot of stuff the Paxton kit does not, including a monster fuel system. Really about the only thing it shares with the Paxton kit is the blower itself and the brackets that hold it on. If I were doing a basic DIY kit and planned to leave it that way for a while, I would go with the Roe setup again in a heartbeat. And as mentioned earlier, in addition to the custom system, we also installed ported heads and a cam, and new pistons to take more boost, so it's really an apples to oranges comparison to what I had.

Tony, we never dynoed the car without the AEM. Couldn't if we wanted to as the VEC2 was already gone because I sold my Roe system.

GFFL, I think Jason switched from the Vortech to the Novi several months ago. The Novi 2000 seems to be the blower of choice now for the custom centrifugal installs, as I know Jason and Doug Levin use it. But neither uses much from the Paxton "kit" except the blower and brackets. You need to upgrade a lot of the other components if you're going to make 800+ rwhp.

OP
OP
R

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of injectors go up to 75? Are they low impedance?

RC Engineering and no, they are high impedance. They're running at about 70% duty cycle at 45 psi fp, so I'd say I have the capacity for a few more horsepower. :D

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What kind of A/F ratio were you experiencing? 75lbs injectors seem like a lot. Do you have a lot of room with those injectors or are you getting to the point they are getting maxed out?

Did you have to get custom injectors to get them upto 75lbs or do them have those in stock?

Did you replace your crank damper?

I bet you used the VEC2 to tune it right?

Your stuff looks great! Nice stuff.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you using for a crossbrace in front of the engine? I don't see one in the picture...

Outstanding dyno #s !

OP
OP
R

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of A/F ratio were you experiencing? 75lbs injectors seem like a lot. Do you have a lot of room with those injectors or are you getting to the point they are getting maxed out?

Did you have to get custom injectors to get them upto 75lbs or do them have those in stock?

Did you replace your crank damper?

I bet you used the VEC2 to tune it right?

Ab, you may have written that before I edited--I'm only at 70% duty cycle at 45 psi, so I've got lots of room to supply more fuel if I need it. I could have gotten by with smaller injectors, but not knowing what I might do down the road (more boost, swap to turbos, etc.), I figured I might as well only buy injectors once. These will work for anything I would conceivably do. RC normally has them in stock, as does an online place, www.musclemotors.com. I'm still using the stock damper. And the tuning is all through the AEM EMS.

Tommy K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ronnie,

What size blower pulley are you running, and how does the belt seem to be holding up? How many street miles since install?

Tom

OP
OP
R

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FE, I think it's a custom crossbrace that Jason uses. It dips down below the s/c and is not very noticeable from the top of the engine compartment (which didn't stop me from chroming it, of course :) ).

Tommy, I'm not sure exactly what the size of the pulley is, but it's fairly small compared to the one that comes with the Paxton kit (as you would expect). I've only put maybe 75 miles on the car, but the belt is fine so far.

Speaking of belts, I've heard some people talk about having to tighten them, which I don't really understand given the presence of a pretty stiff belt tensioner. Are the problems other people have had with belts on high hp centrifugals related to belts that stretch to the point that the tensioner no longer can keep them tight or what?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ronnie, I didn't understand the idea of a belt tensioner, and having to tighten the belt either. You will have to tighten the belt yourself, but luckily,
tightening the belt is quick and easy and depending on how hard you drive, is how often you need to do it.

Here's a picture of my Heffner SCi, you can see the chrome crossbar that Jason uses a little better in this photo.

1494snakes_009-med.jpg

OP
OP
R

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic Casey. That's actually a different crossmember than the one I have, which dips down under the blower. I'm thinking you must have a Vortech blower, which mounts in a somewhat different place.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, Vortech JT blower on mine. Definately mounts in a different location, looking at the pictures again.

Jason must be busy if he is making custom Chrome Crossbars for each application! :p

John Reed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Ronnie for the kind words. I am pleased to see you are so happy with your car. David did a great job on the installation, which made the tuning go so much smoother. The AEM is a wonderful unit, and allows us to get the car running very close to, and sometimes better than OEM. And yes, you need that traction control! :)

Thanks again, and I look forward to working with you and David in the near future!

John Reed
TorqueFreaks Inc.
www.torquefreaks.com
[email protected]

If anyone has questions regarding the AEM EMS in general, and specifically for the Viper, feel free to email me at the above address.

OP
OP
R

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey John! Thanks again for all your hard work. I'll try to call you over the weekend or something to pick your brain on a few AEM nuances, assuming you're not headed back to Italy or somewhere to tune in the next couple of days. :2tu: