HEFFNER PERFORMANCE

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<font color="red">HEFFNER PERFORMANCE</font>
I went down to Sarasota last weekend to test drive my 2005 Heffner Twin Turbo Stage 3 SRT-10 and I couldn’t be happier with the car.

7653Arda_004-med.jpg

Everybody can put twin turbos on a viper and call it a day but what Heffner did is a complete well-engineered and excellent performing car. The car drove like a super fast factory car with 1200 RWHP. It takes a lot to deliver that much power in a controllable way and Heffner’s well engineered kit did this perfectly. With the way AEM Traction Control is set up you are not fighting the car to hold it on the road going WOT. We didn’t have the best conditions to test the car either. We drove the car through stop and go traffic with 80 degrees outside and the car drove so smooth without any overheating or any other problem.

I have not been in anything near as fast as this car. When Jason floored the car in 3rd or 4th gear, I felt my chest pushed against the seat with so much force, I couldn’t breathe for couple seconds. Jason even saved my car with a fast reflex when an a**hole in a truck decided to run the red light and then saw us stop in front of him and locked the tires and ended up slamming to the car next to us. If it weren’t for Jason pulling my Viper forward on the red light with a quick reflex while talking to me about the car, that truck would have rear ended us.

I couldn’t be happier with the way my Viper turned out. A completely re-engineered, outstanding masterpiece.

If you haven’t picked up Car &amp; Driver’s November issue yet, let me give you guys a sneak preview.

You must be registered for see images

Congratulations to Heffner on a great article. Those Car &amp; Driver guys don’t kiss anybody’s a*s and just state the facts as they are.

What some of you may not know is that the Car &amp; Driver test drivers abuse these cars beyond what a 16 year old can abuse a rental car and during these test they break all kinds of high reputation tuner or factory cars.

It is impressive that Heffner’s Twin Turbo Gallardo and Ford GT not only set Car &amp; Driver records all across the board but held together without a hint of breakage or any other problem against the repetitive beating they got.

It’s great to see Heffner cars in the press. I’m sure we will continue seeing a lot of them.

If you are considering a performance upgrade to your Viper or any other hot rod, you should definitely give Heffner a call if only the best will work for you.

No surprise that Heffner Twin Turbo Viper GTS street car (Chad’s GTS) holds the record for World’s fastest Viper and World’s fastest IRS car with 7.99 sec @ 177 Mph. :eek: :eek:

Thank you Jason Heffner for everything. I couldn’t be happier.

http://www.heffnersperformance.com/
Heffner Performance
4396 Independence Court
Sarasota, FL 34234
941-359-0900

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is one sweet ride, good luck with it! I love those wheels! I have been in touch with a new viper owner who is also having his new viper sent directly to Jason to have the turbos installed before he ever sees or drives it. He had me talk with Jason as he might be having me build the exhaust for the car. I can tell you Jason knows his product and does a great job.

Just wondering what made you decide to go with turbos and not a supercharger?

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Terrific write-up. Great car, congrats. Thanks for the Sneak peek at the CD article as well!! Hadn't read it yet.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm jealous... just KNOW it runs as good as it looks. :2tu:

So I take it you won't be moving to Europe now? Weren't you looking into bringing the snake over there?

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm jealous... just KNOW it runs as good as it looks. :2tu:

So I take it you won't be moving to Europe now? Weren't you looking into bringing the snake over there?

Thanks for the compliments on the car.

The plan has not changed.

Make no mistake. This Beast will soon start owning the autobahns and kicking some European a*s. :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is one sweet ride, good luck with it! I love those wheels! I have been in touch with a new viper owner who is also having his new viper sent directly to Jason to have the turbos installed before he ever sees or drives it. He had me talk with Jason as he might be having me build the exhaust for the car. I can tell you Jason knows his product and does a great job.

Just wondering what made you decide to go with turbos and not a supercharger?

Jason Heffner will give you the best answer but let me try to answer it in short in my way.

A well engineered and good sized twin turbo system will outperform a supercharger system in every category.

No belts to maintain and hassle with, monstrous torque available in the lower rpms (my Viper makes 600RWTQ at 3500 rpm), nice spread power band, more ability to tune it in the way you want it, no parasitic power loss, etc.
In short, supercharger is 1 dimensional where it’s connected to the engine with a belt and gives a linear power increase.
With turbos, you can do anything you want with appropriately sized system and tuning.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Art, thanks for the answer. I know very little about turbos which is why I was asking. I had always heard that you lost low end torque at low rpm's. Now I know that this is not so if the system is well engineered as you have said above.

Thanks,

Robbie

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote: "That is one sweet ride, good luck with it! I love those wheels! I have been in touch with a new viper owner who is also having his new viper sent directly to Jason to have the turbos installed before he ever sees or drives it. He had me talk with Jason as he might be having me build the exhaust for the car. I can tell you Jason knows his product and does a great job."
--------------------------------------------------------

I just received an email from the new viper owner that I mentioned above. His name is Alex and he asked me to tell everyone herethat he is having me build the exhaust system for his Heffner turbo viper. I thank you Alex for your vote of confidence.

Robbie

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're very welcome, Robbie. With your exhaust and 2 piece aluminum rotors, I will be dropping over 100 pounds from the Viper. For those who are not aware of it, Robbie's exhaust uses much lighter mufflers than either the Corsa or stock exhaust. It removes about 70 pounds of weight over the stock setup. The 2 piece rotors remove another 36 pounds. There isn't a better way to take weight of the Viper than these 2 mods.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote: "That is one sweet ride, good luck with it! I love those wheels! I have been in touch with a new viper owner who is also having his new viper sent directly to Jason to have the turbos installed before he ever sees or drives it. He had me talk with Jason as he might be having me build the exhaust for the car. I can tell you Jason knows his product and does a great job."

I just received an email from the new viper owner that I mentioned above. His name is Alex and he asked me to tell everyone herethat he is having me build the exhaust system for his Heffner turbo viper. I thank you Alex for your vote of confidence.

Robbie

Well done Robbie.

When are you going to Twin Turbo your own SRT? You know you want it. :D

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote; 'Well done Robbie.

When are you going to Twin Turbo your own SRT? You know you want it."

How did you read my mind? To bad my wallet is not as big as my head or HP wants and needs. What a ride and a rush 1200 Hp must be! I guess I can keep wishing!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Robbie

Care to let the rest of us in on what your exhaust system plans are to set up a 1200hp Viper with adequate exhaust so as not to choke it off? The usual calculation method would say that each side would have to flow 1300CFM to not cause a restriction.

Unless the fact that there's a turbo inline throws that off..but then if the engine's making 1200hp, it's still gotta get rid of those spent gases efficiently.

Inquiring minds would like to know. :)

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Care to let the rest of us in on what your exhaust system plans are to set up a 1200hp Viper with adequate exhaust so as not to choke it off? The usual calculation method would say that each side would have to flow 1300CFM to not cause a restriction.

Unless the fact that there's a turbo inline throws that off..but then if the engine's making 1200hp, it's still gotta get rid of those spent gases efficiently.

Inquiring minds would like to know. :)

My car is making 1200 RWHP and that equates to 1,412 HP at the crank if you consider 15% drivetrain loss. I have 4 inch side exit exhaust with mufflers and it works perfect. Not everybody will need 4 inch exhaust though.

I’m not sure if Alex is getting the Stage 1, 2 or 3 Twin Turbo kit installed on his car but I don’t think he will have an issue with the exhaust.

There is not much distance from the turbo exhaust housing to the exhaust tips on the SRT-10 twin turbo kits.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if 4" dia isn't enough at those power levels.

You're right, there isn't much distance but there are 2 near-90deg bends. You wouldn't know if any system works perfect unless you do some backpressure measurements.

Anything over .2psi (yes 2 tenths) could be too much based on extensive dyno testing by one very popular author.

One site's cfm tests showed the typical 45deg 2.5" tailpipe bend reducing flow by 20% over straight 2.5" tubing.

Ya gotta pay as much attention to the exhaust end of things as the intake side. Especially in n/a applications where the exhaust exhaust system on a well tuned race engine draws on the intake port as much as 5x harder than the piston going down the bore.

Forced induction can take away all the detailed work I guess, but there's no sense in giving up hidden HP by not putting as much work into a good exhaust as on the intake.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if 4" dia isn't enough at those power levels.

You're right, there isn't much distance but there are 2 near-90deg bends. You wouldn't know if any system works perfect unless you do some backpressure measurements.

Anything over .2psi (yes 2 tenths) could be too much based on extensive dyno testing by one very popular author.

One site's cfm tests showed the typical 45deg 2.5" tailpipe bend reducing flow by 20% over straight 2.5" tubing.

Ya gotta pay as much attention to the exhaust end of things as the intake side. Especially in n/a applications where the exhaust exhaust system on a well tuned race engine draws on the intake port as much as 5x harder than the piston going down the bore.

Forced induction can take away all the detailed work I guess, but there's no sense in giving up hidden HP by not putting as much work into a good exhaust as on the intake.

As long as the exhaust piping is not restrictive, 0.2 psi back pressure in the exhaust on a Twin Turbo SRT-10 would not do any considerable difference.

As long as you have nice, good flowing headers and up-pipes that flow the exhaust gas from the engine to the turbos’ exhaust housings efficiently, it doesn’t matter if you even have a 10 inch exhaust system. The design of the turbo housing, inlet and outlet diameters, down pipe and A/R ratio will determine the power you will make.

You can throw all the exhaust system to trash and dump the exhaust gases at the turbo outlet and HP difference will be negligible.

Try for yourself and see.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inquiring minds would like to know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To answer your question I spent quite a bit of time on the phone discussing Ales's turbo install and exhaust needs with Jason at Heffner's and with my muffler manufacture. The Heffner turbo exhaust's is 3" and Jason says there is no need to build a bigger system than that with the turbo kit that Alex has ordered.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote:

Inquiring minds would like to know.

To answer your question I spent quite a bit of time on the phone discussing Ales's turbo install and exhaust needs with Jason at Heffner's and with my muffler manufacture. The Heffner turbo exhaust's is 3" and Jason says there is no need to build a bigger system than that with the turbo kit that Alex has ordered.

Robbie, check your PM.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to put it into perspective, we went an 8.75 in Jerry's car with a Mopar 3" cat back. With a little more time, I'm sure we would have gotten a 60 or maybe a 50 out of her.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just to put it into perspective, we went an 8.75 in Jerry's car with a Mopar 3" cat back. With a little more time, I'm sure we would have gotten a 60 or maybe a 50 out of her.

Exactly. As long as you have a well engineered package, the exhaust diameter and small bends in the exhaust won’t be the limiting factor.

Real life data here. 8.75 in the 1/4 mile with a street car using 3" Mopar catback exhaust. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

How much CFM does the Mopar 3" catback flow anyway? :smirk: :smirk:

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry's car sounds fantastic in person. That is one of the baddest rides around. It was a hot and humid day also when you made that run Gary. I wonder what that car would do on a 60 degree day.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jerry's car sounds fantastic in person. That is one of the baddest rides around. It was a hot and humid day also when you made that run Gary. I wonder what that car would do on a 60 degree day.

Is there ever a 60 degree day at Sarasota? :D :D

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got me there. :bonker:

I'm not up on post turbo exhaust system requirements for turbo cars where the turbocharger is always the major restriction anyway as it's doing its' thing. That probably throws n/a exhaust requirements out the window.

- I was just looking at my Gen2 exhaust and there's za total of about 360deg worth of bends in it per side before it gets to the back, starting at the front of the sidesills.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
any dyno sheets?

or

pics of the motor?

sounds great!! enjoy the ride.
vd..

Thanks D.
We are doing some final touch ups on the car.
I’ll post dyno graphs and engine pictures in a week or so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang