Helmets

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need a new helmet SA rating Full Face and most important CHEAP!! I am looking at the Zamp FSA-1 for $189
Snell SA2005 FSA-1: Helmet City

anyone have any thoughts or suggestions here?? Is this a bad helmet? Would I be better with a Bell, or is there another site to look at?:dunno:

Last edited:

woosch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I started looking for helmets I said I wanted cheap, the guy asked me how much my head was worth...

I have found that you really need to try a few on, you need to find one that fits well and you can see properly out of.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, Helmetcity also offers an additional discount for VCA members.

OP
OP
J

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I started looking for helmets I said I wanted cheap, the guy asked me how much my head was worth...

I have found that you really need to try a few on, you need to find one that fits well and you can see properly out of.

I would love to try them on but thats a bit hard when ordering online.

If I'm not mistaken, Helmetcity also offers an additional discount for VCA members.

There is a page in the membership packet that says we get a 10% discount there. Thanks I forgot about that:2tu:

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go to a motor cycle shop to get an idea of what size you need. don't go cheap, your head is worth the money.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've ordered from Helmet City and what I like about them is that they have a return policy which lets you return a helmet without a restocking fee if there's a size/fitment issue. I took measurements of my head and ordered a couple of sizes and returned the one that didn't fit properly. I ended up with a Simpson bandit. It cost more than I wanted to spend but in the end it was the best fit for me. I also found that some of the cheaper helmets hindered my peripheral vision.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
only buy a cheap helmet for a cheap head,all my helmets are 600 to 700 dollars,only the best for me!

OP
OP
J

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to buy a $700 helmet but I haven't got that kind of money. I just need a new helmet for the Mopars at the Strip March 20th. My old one expired a few years ago and I have been puting off getting a new one. I dont drag race often so my old one is fine for road coarses and autocross.

OP
OP
J

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My old helmets are great helmets they are just expired rating. Drag strips are the only ones that really check the rating so I need new ones just for drag racing but I will still use the old ones for everything else. And yes my head is safer on a road coarse, lower speed;)

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drag strips are the only ones that really check the rating so I need new ones just for drag racing but I will still use the old ones for everything else. And yes my head is safer on a road coarse, lower speed;)

Scratch what I said earlier. BUy the heaviest, cheapest helmet out there as you need your head examined anyways. Your statements just do not make any sense. At what MPH do you feel that your head is still safe, when comparing a road course to a drag strip?

OP
OP
J

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scratch what I said earlier. BUy the heaviest, cheapest helmet out there as you need your head examined anyways. Your statements just do not make any sense. At what MPH do you feel that your head is still safe, when comparing a road course to a drag strip?

:lmao::lmao::brainless:notin der to pertekt anyweys :lmao:

I had meant that last bit as a joke that I am slow on road coarse.
Is there really a big difference in the safety of a $800 helmet vs a $200 helmet? As far as I could tell the big differences were in pad comfort, aerodynamics, and ventilation:dunno:

Affatica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on an article I read in SCCA mag, they all have to pass the safety tests to get a snell rating. A lot of what you are paying for is features.

More expensive helmets may come w/ better padding, better materials like CF, but Snell doesn't issue levels of safety ratings. It either passes or it does not.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeffrey/Robert --

I agree that a good helmet can be had for reasonable money. I bought a Bell M4 recently that has a Snell 2005 rating for a little under $400.

That being said, if you do road courses, most clubs and schols that I am familiar with are pretty anal about checking the helmet certification during tech. Most clus now require at least a Snell 2000 rated helmet.

Have fun buying your new helmet.

/Rich