HELP, both rear speakers stopped working in my GTS

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, both rear speakers in my GTS stopped working today.

I know jack about stereos so was wondering if you stereo gurus out there could advise me in what to look for to eliminate the obvious. Not seeing any loose wires.

Thanks in advance.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised you can even hear them. I didn't hear any rear imaging until I built rear speaker pods closer.

I would start by swapping out a different speaker to the wires and see if there is a signal.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS's are old enough now that the speaker body will probably be dry rotted out (mine were). You probably need new speakers. Good time to upgrade to some Kicker KS600s. ;)

OP
OP
D

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's already very loud, the full Belanger setup. It's weird, today I started hearing very muffled sound/music coming from the rears. Is that what blown speakers sound like?

It's as if someone is holding a pillow over them and hardly any volume at all.

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's already very loud, the full Belanger setup. It's weird, today I started hearing very muffled sound/music coming from the rears. Is that what blown speakers sound like?

It's as if someone is holding a pillow over them and hardly any volume at all.

The rears are crossed-over and are just "midbass" drivers, so yes you will only hear a muffled type sound comming from them (no highs), if they have a "crackling" or "screetching" sound then they need replaced. Easy to do just 3 or 4 screws, pop them out and check to see if there's any surround left on them.:)