Help! Broke 2 wheel studs

DholiRaja209

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, last night I went to torque my wheels and 2 of the driver side rear wheel studs broke off! I called dodge for replacement studs but they said I would have to replace the entire hub bearing. I tried searching for gen 3 hub stud replacement but nothing comes up. Can I replace just the 2 broken wheel studs or do I have change the entire hub? Any info would be helpful. Thanks

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not correct at all.
I've broken a few, pulled the hub and replaced the studs. Nothing to it.
I think the hubs are from a Dodge Dakota if I remember correctly, but either way, I just went to Oreilly's. I told them the make and model of the car, and they looked up the correct studs.

F

FrgMstr

Not correct at all.
I've broken a few, pulled the hub and replaced the studs. Nothing to it.
I think the hubs are from a Dodge Dakota if I remember correctly, but either way, I just went to Oreilly's. I told them the make and model of the car, and they looked up the correct studs.

Yep, this is it!

Konza800

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've broken a couple of studs and I keep spares in the trailer now. It will help if you use anti-sieze on the studs and then torque to 100 ft-lbs.

Tail lights

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've replaced studs on the front hub of my 2001 Viper without taking the hub off the car.

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From memory, I believe the factory spec for my '05 is 90 ft-lbs. Any idea how much torque you were using?

OP
OP
D

DholiRaja209

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the procedure for removing rear wheel studs the same as the fronts? Does the rear wheel hub have to come off for stud removal?

Last edited:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it's possible to do it with the hub on the car, but damn, that would be tight to try to do it that way. The hubs aren't hard to get off and it's much easier to change them when you have some room to move everything around.

spartan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hammer mine out, then pull the new one back in. done this on most of my cars, no problems at all. hubs did not come off

Reaction score
We sell studs fairly frequently...

https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/index.php/products/1992-2013-dodge-srt-viper-wheel-stud-06033702

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you guys are breaking wheel studs then you're overtorquing the lug nuts. 90-95 ft/lbs is where you should be.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've busted 2 of them and always hand thread and then use a torque wrench. Both of mine were after track events when I was back home and putting the street tires back on. I was taking the lugnuts off and the lugnut became locked onto the stud. I had to put a big ass pipe over a breaker bar and snap it, just to get the wheel off.
I keep mine at 98 ft/lbs, but I guess it could just be how many times I have the wheels on and off, plus maybe getting some kind of gunk on the threads or something that caused it to seize up.

OP
OP
D

DholiRaja209

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got mine set at 90ft/lbs. just replaced all 6 wheel studs. Had to remove the rear hub for the swap. Thanks guys for all ur quick responses.