Help!! Cat's bad??

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Help!! Cat\'s bad??

Got a strange symtom, need some ideas. Raced a guy at the end of last year and ran the car, full throttle, thru first 4 gears. The O2 sensor "check engine" light appeared a day later, had the car checked and the tech said it was a down stream sensor indicating one of the cat's might be bad. I've got a 3" corsa w/ Random Tech Hi-Flo's on, probably have about 5000 miles on them at most. Had the O2 sensor cancelled and it has never come on since...but, whenever I park the car in the garage, you can smell a strange, almost sour, exhaust type smell coming from the car after it is shut off. It lingers in the garage thru the evening, sometimes even into the morning. Never had that before the race, that I can remember, but it's there now, every time. Could I have failed one of the Random Tech cat's? If so, how would I be able to verify? Shouldn't I get more miles than the 5000 I got? I only put about 2000 miles on it a year. It's a '99 GTS, no special mod's, just the standard little stuff and it's been maintained immaculately. Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Help!! Cat\'s bad??

If your cat is bad, you will still have a check engine light come on or you will set a code on the computer that a tech or you can scan for with a scan tool.

OP
OP
T

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Help!! Cat\'s bad??

Ulysses.....thanks for the thought, but that O2 check engine sensor has now been disabled. I had it taken care of over the winter when I had the sensor bypassed. I will mention, though, that up until then it never went on again, after the Viper tech reset it, after my street race. Like you've indicated, the tech said that if the cat was bad, it should have re-fired the sensor within a few hundred miles after the "check engine" light was reset. Again, thanks for the thought, but I'm still looking!