HELP!!! Gen 2 valve covers

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard of people just doubling up the gaskets to give the clearence needed for the RR. Might be an easy/cheap option.

OP
OP
H

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's amazing how well a hundred minds work so much better than one. All I have to do is sit back and read the posts.:eater: Too bad I didn't get on VCA BEFORE I bought this car maybe I wouldn't be in this fix:buttkick: ...........or maybe I would because in spite of what I have already been through with it-Western Canada forum "I can finally post"- I LOVE:love:this particular Viper. Yeah, I may be a little wonky:stooges:but after all I am from :can1:EH?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've also heard of slitting and dimpling the stock Gen 2 baffles. I think Viper Tony may have done that.

I did nothing to them after installing the T&D's...they don't hit the valve covers. However, JMB performance makes valve cover baffles for after-market rockers. $25. I don't have them but I was going to pull the trigger on them if I needed more clearance. JMB Performance & Powdercoat, LLC

OP
OP
H

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 R/T 10;
WOOO HOOOOO!!!!!! I have a motor.:D:D:D And here is what your valve covers look like now.:2tu: Did I manage to get it right or what...:headbang::headbang:

Here is the result as of 8 PM tonight.

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FYI, Roe Racing Viper Performance Parts sells a set or two of polished Billet valve covers and PartsRack.com - Home probably also offers a couple sets of custom covers.

Mine are painted body color and I finally had to touch them up this year. Paint stick isn't the greatest on magnesium. since the valve covers don't know that, they look great anyway!
picture.php

You coming to BC for either Harrisson Lake or Father's Day Charity Car show in Mission, BC?

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like the car bringing home first place to me.

Ted

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've said it many times before:

If Mike (99RT/10) doesn't have it, then it was never intended to be on a Viper! I shudder to think of how many times/parts that he has helped me with!

Thanks again, Mike!

Ron

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My valve covers are starting to bubble and flake. What are the negatives to stripping the rest of the paint and just polishing the magnesium?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pretty sure I read a thread that says why magnesium can't be polished.

Ted

OP
OP
H

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks fellows. I appreciate the compliments.:) It helps to ease the pain of 7 months and a much lighter pocket book.:nono:
Now I just need some break-in time :drive: and a full dyno tune.

OP
OP
H

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My valve covers are starting to bubble and flake. What are the negatives to stripping the rest of the paint and just polishing the magnesium?

They ended up powder blasting mine and powder coating them. With the valve covers, intake tubes and Y pipe it was only $325. The pics speak for themselves.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks fellows. I appreciate the compliments.:) It helps to ease the pain of 7 months and a much lighter pocket book.:nono:
Now I just need some break-in time :drive: and a full dyno tune.

Make sure the dyno tune is done with a wide band, in a ****, in the collector area. ....and not just stuck up the tail pipe.

Steve

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had a little of that going on as well this past winter. I found a place about an hour here that blasted, powdercoated, and cleared my covers for next to nothing ($40 total). They also coated my chrome Roe breathers. No more oxidation on the emblems to shine up.

Peninsula Powder Coating

They are an industrial coater, but do 'small stuff' one day a week. ...Lots of wheels and engine parts for car guys in the area. We were his first Viper (maybe the reason for the great price?) ...and so landed on his website. You would have some shipping, but the price would certainly be right even if a little more.

...took a quick pic in the garage just now...not the best pic, but we are more than satisfied with the job.

Steve

IMG_7918.JPG

OP
OP
H

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You coming to BC for either Harrisson Lake or Father's Day Charity Car show in Mission, BC?

Ted[/QUOTE]

Cannot make it to either of those. Have Stettler S/S on Saturday June 20 and cruise Greg is putting on Sunday with dyno and track day Monday. I am already committed to Stettler 1/8 mi. drags on July 26.:drive: Its a family thing.:crazy2::lmao:

OP
OP
H

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure the dyno tune is done with a wide band, in a ****, in the collector area. ....and not just stuck up the tail pipe.

Steve

They alredy welded and plugged fittings into the stubby Belanger collectors. Thanks anyway, I appreciate any and all suggestions.:2tu: There is no such thing as too much info. After everything I have gone through with this motor I don't want to touch it with anything but cleaning rags for several years.:(

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Ted

Cannot make it to either of those. Have Stettler S/S on Saturday June 20 and cruise Greg is putting on Sunday with dyno and track day Monday. I am already committed to Stettler 1/8 mi. drags on July 26.:drive: Its a family thing.:crazy2::lmao:[/QUOTE]

Then write down the Father's Day Mission Car Show for next year. It's the only consistent event we have.

I was pushing Doug French (VCA Calgary member) to do Revelstoke Rally every year. Much as I loved the cruisin Road Race courses I enjoyed the mountain Rally BEST of all. There is absolutely nothing like 'hangin it out there' around those mountain hairpins without Cop of other car worries.

A few guys just "went for it" and completely ignored the 80kph limit on speed, but everyone had a blast! Anyway, you can read about it in Summer Viper magazine when it comes out soon. That event was my favourite, like our own Pike's Peak!

Ted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc