Help help help...crisis

kblake905

Viper Owner
Reaction score
met the dealer today and they still cannot pinpoint the leak source.....they think nowthat they need heat in the block so are puting the head back on looking to atart up in the next few days (they were short a head bolt). I hope to have more info then. Based on the posts....still seems likely to be head gasket, timing chain cover leak, or oil pan leak. I hope to have someone from the local viper club (RACR77) look at it with me when they re-start the engine. this is bizarre...

Good Luck; I agree with many on this board, I was a novice when I bought my first viper. When I bought it it wouldn't rev past 3000rpm, they installed new spark plugs changed the oil....400 bucks! No difference. The mechanic suggested the cam shaft must have slipped a tooth and would have to remove the timing cover......
On the recommendation of a friend he said to take it to the local mechanic he deals with. It took him less than 20 minutes to diagnose the problem as a plugged cat!
My advice is to take it to a hands on mechanic who does not rely on plugging the car into a computer to diagnose problems, you can't beat experience!

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They are already finding ways to rack your bill up. Pull that car out there right now or you are going to regret it. When they see a Viper roll in they don't see a customer, they see a dollar sign. Unless your Viper is obviously a track car, they seem to figure you are rich and just driving the car because you can. They will usually assume you have so much money they can charge you whatever they want, and you'll just eat it up figuring no big deal. I already started to run into this problem with a window regulator that was going to run me around $3000. I found the same piece online for $500 and going to hunt down a reliable shop that posts on this site in my area.

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your dilema. I too had an oil leak I chased for about 8 months. I initially was told it was the oil pan...resealed x2. Then I was told it was the rear main seal...replaced. Next like you I was told block the was cracked???...so I took my baby to another location (which I recommend you do as well). A few sensors behind motor were then replaced that were leaking...leak still there. Motor was then dye tested and no cracks in block but rear main seal had been installed crimped and incorrectly. So, new rear main seal placed again and leak solved. Just my 2 cents and oil leak saga. I hope yours is a simple fix. Regards.

Last edited:

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not good at all. You should have never let them take the engine apart. You are looking at a huge bill as is if they already took the heads off and now are going to put them back on. If I was you have would go down there right now and make sure that engine is apart. They might me lying to you. If it is not apart then take it from there and bring it back home. I say it is the timing cover that is leaking. I was lucky enough that I just had to tighten a few bolts on the timing cover and it fixed the leak.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they're already that far into the engine, you've already racked up big bill that should have never been necessary. Dan is right on the dye. If they couldn't tell where it was coming from, this should have been the next step before taking everything apart. What if they cause another place to leak by taking it apart?
The other thing that would scare me is that they took it apart and now they are short a head bolt to put it back together? Using new bolts when everything is done is a good idea. If they are using new bolts to put it back together, torque it down, look for the leak and then take it off again, then they're adding more to the bill. Because then they'll use new bolts again (or tell you they did) when they put it back together for good. Now they've charged you outrageous prices for new bolts TWICE.

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a guy here in S.E. North Carolina who might know something about it but hes so busy sittin on his porch strummin a banjo down by the Cape Fear river hes hard to get doin anything....gnomesayin?

sliverstripeacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay the hell away from Big 4!!!!!!!! Can't stress this enough!!!!!!!!!! The longer your car sits there, the more money they will charge you. The plastic pin on my gas pedal was replaced with a nut and bolt and they failed my out of province. They said I had to change the pedal assembly for a cost of 2000$ plus install. Biggest rip off in the world. I was about to file a complaint with the BBB and try to get my money back. They wanted 400$ for an alignment. Not professional, terrible service and waste of time and money. Stay away from BIG 4 in Calgary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the OP has probably been fleeced at this point and had to sell off his computer and anything else he had to offer...thus no updates. Too bad. Hate to see someone get "owned" by a stealer like this. The VCA is here to help...not to offer condolences for stupidity. Ask the stinking Q's BEFORE you do something stupid.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a Charlie-Foxtrot! Hopefully all will work out. I've hit the point where I only go to dealers if there is no other alternative. Seems like the work is done so quickly that there isn't time to even think about using a torque wrench. I'm speaking from experience with a GM dealer in Hertford, NC and one in Raleigh, NC. Luckily, it wasn't my Viper that was being worked on, but some old daily drivers.

1999viper19gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the block is really cracked, you can have it welded by Les Menke of Carrage Stop Restorations. His phone number is 315-597-0005. He welded my block and did a great job when a piston broke apart and put a hole through to the water jacket.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ummm it's probably taken care of since it was more than a year ago....:rolleyes:

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you need a new dealer
welcome to canada. Where we are charged at least twice the amount for all this crap. I was quoted $8000 and $10000 here in Edmonton for racing stripes. Sorry I can't recommend anyone is calgary, but I'm thinking there will be someone local that would be trustworthy to do it

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW, i should have read the date. So i take it this guy got soaked even after everyone tried helping him. LOL good for him. Asked a question and still paid the stealerships mortgage.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Oh my god, there's a guy with a machete who's chained to the ground who says he's going to chop my head off in 10 seconds. Wait, can't you run away...........yes but that's not the point, he stabbed me in the eye two years ago when I walked into his lair. Oh my god, for the life of me someone rescue me......................"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32