HELP!! identify this internal engine part

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
changing the oil, stuck to the magnet on the drain plug was these parts, I can't for the life of me figure out what they are, they have a chrome finish each piece is about 10mm long and 2mm wide. they have a slight taper to them.

at first we thought it could be the parts of the valve springs, ripped the valve covers off and they dont match up with the type of metal/finish of the valve springs. i personally can't think of where these have come from.

You must be registered for see images

Attachments

• 558031_10152704373075858_1581434533_n.jpg
    558031_10152704373075858_1581434533_n.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 69

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what the rod bearings were made of on the Gen II's. Dropping the pan isn't very tough, so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and drop it and see what else might be in there and possibly trying to see where those pieces came from.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd drop the oil pan and remove the oil pan baffle. There may be more debris sitting on top of the baffle and in the pan. They look like spark plug tips, the metal part arcs over the insulator.

OP
OP
MoparBoyy

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spark plug tips can't make it to the oil pan without a giant hole in the piston... And car runs like a top

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has your oil pan gasket ever been off? When I took mine off a couple pieces of the metal ring (bolt holes go through) was broken and had fallen into the pan. The picture above seems to be the same shape/size.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are definitely several types of spark plugs that will physically fit the hole....some are longer than the right ones and, depending on your headwork, might contact the plugs......good news is the plugs usually lose (rather than something more expensive).... but ifthose are pieces of the plug anode (cathode?) fix it by using the correct plug for your set up ;-)

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, you're right....no way for them to get to where you found em......

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is perplexing.... I would not think that it is possible for those little parts to come from the bottom end, you would have to have a major problem which would be very obvious. We know if it was in the pan that it could not have come form the plugs, induction or exhaust. That leaves the valve train, timing assembly and oil pump. I guess you could lose small pieces of timing gears and not have an obvious engine problem. It may also be part of the bottom of a valve spring retainer.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost looks like a chunk of spring

Last edited:

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Oh I know, valve seal metal retainers

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh I know, valve seal metal retainers
It looks to me like we have a winner ! Now if you would kindly send a Western Union Cash transfer in the amount of $1250, we will promptly pay the taxes in your name and transfer the cash award to your personal account. To save time, and alleviate your stresses, be so kind as to post account # and bank # here for the transfer purposes. Kindest regards.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks to me like we have a winner ! Now if you would kindly send a Western Union Cash transfer in the amount of $1250, we will promptly pay the taxes in your name and transfer the cash award to your personal account. To save time, and alleviate your stresses, be so kind as to post account # and bank # here for the transfer purposes. Kindest regards.

I live in Canada, $1250 is not even close to covering my taxes :(, why do you have to bring this up in April

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad the OEM ones are not like the ones in the picture....I'd keep scratching my head unless your heads have been gone through once before and the comp cam seals installed. i know this has me stumped since I've torn into my engine top to bottom twice and I can't recall anything that resenbles these pieces...

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad the OEM ones are not like the ones in the picture....I'd keep scratching my head unless your heads have been gone through once before and the comp cam seals installed. i know this has me stumped since I've torn into my engine top to bottom twice and I can't recall anything that resenbles these pieces...

I am relatively sure Moparboyy is a Chrysler tech, so we will find out soon. I have seen these valve seals on vipers before, but I am not sure if there was head work done.

EllowViper what year is your viper?

OP
OP
MoparBoyy

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
/

who said the engine was stock? ;)

and yep Garron is correct, a lowly tech i am.

Reaction score
Here is what the stock valve guides look like - intake on the left, exhaust on the right:

guides.jpg

Same guides from 1992 through 2006 model year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456