help locked diff

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I’ve been stupid and had a bit of a play in an empty car park, but now my diff wont release and the wheels skid and jump on corners although straight lines are fine.

I’ve had a search and only found this which is similar

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=85333&Forum=All_Forums&Words=differential&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=40&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=85332&Search=true#Post85333

and 1Tony1 gives the impression that its not that hard to strip down and sort, but is it something that can be done with basic tools (or not too expensive special tools) by someone who has only so far done the fluid changes.

Any other ideas of what might be wrong, 1Tony1s problem was the spider gears?

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a few broken teeth and the spiders gears are most likely the culprit. Unitrax has replacement parts for your differential, call and ask for Devin or Jerry @ 800.622.4327

I'd recommend inspecting the ring and pinion teeth to ensure the broken parts have not compromised those as well. The removal and replacement of these gears goes beyond having simple hand tools for replacement. I had to make the necessary forcing screw which flattens the belleville washers and disengages the clutch packs to remove the spider gears. If you don't already own one, I'd recommend purchasing a service manual which will guide you through the whole process.

OP
OP
V

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Larry thanks for that. I have a service manual and I think I can make the tool to release the clutches from a bolt and some nuts and washers. What I am not sure about is spreading the case to get the carrier out. Is this really necessary or will it come out without doing it. 0.01” doesn’t sound like it will make that much difference.

Also do I have to do all the set up of backlash etc if I’m not taking the pinion gear out or can I just reassemble without all the setup?.

I have now managed to pull the diff from the car and am now recovering trying to decide if I pull the back off and attempt the rest or just pack it up and get it done by a trans shop one of the other UK Vipers owners has used,

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never had to spread the case to get the carrier out.....shouldn't be a problem for you.

You will not need to to worry about the backlash,

no need to pull the pinion unless you have gear damage.

At least pull the cover to see what is broken.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David, I know you've pulled your diff out already, but did you try and change the diff fluid first? If that fluid has been in there for many miles and I know what you were doing in that open parking lot :headbang: , does it rhyme with donuts? You may have just cooked the diff fluid! Since you already have it out, it wouldn't hurt to remove the back cover off and look inside. If there's nothing obvious? Try new fluid: 75W-140 synthetic 2 qts and 4 to 6 ounces of friction modifier
Oil is cheap at this point!
My 2 cents.
Cheers

OP
OP
V

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi chuck.

Yes I may have been doing Homers S’s favourite food ;)

The fluid was fairly new, as I changed it in the fall. Of course that may have been the problem although it has had a reasonable number of run in miles since as it doesn’t hibernate.

I guess I haven’t got much to loose now by taking the rest apart so long as I’m careful, even if I do end up having it professionally rebuilt.

I will be in touch soon though for at the very least a set of UJ straps and bolts as I doubt I can get them easily locally.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang