Help! My windshield is cracking (new 2001 GTS)

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 2001 GTS ACR is three months old. I bought it with 10 miles on the odometer. After a few very hot days out in the sun, the front windshield has developed a crack that starts at the bottom edge of the glass, right in front of the driver and goes up about a foot. Both replacement windshields that have arrived at the Dodge dealer have been cracked in transit, so I am awaiting a third one. In the meantime, the rear "shock" that holds up the hatch on the drivers side, has become "unglued" where the metal bar is glued to the glass. So the hatch won't stay up by itself for now. Anyone else seen these problems? What is the best fix for the rear hatch problem? Can I glue it back?
Thanks!!!!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the Dodge dealer has got you covered. Although it will take some time.

I'm sure if you clean the glass on the hatch and the shock mount real well, you can glue it back on. Call up one of those automotive glass repair places and find out what they use, or hopefully pete (the ex-glass guy aka redgts) pops in here and shares his wealth of knowlege with us.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
'98 GTS in very hot Texas...no such problems. I'd get the dealer to fix the rear hatch problem also...why do it yourself?

OP
OP
D

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, Jim. My dealer has so far told me to go and try to glue it back myself. He is planning to just use some rear-view mirror glue. I know there must be a reason why DC used such a thick *** of glue in the first place.
Take care.

OP
OP
D

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just heard from my dealer, saying that Dodge recommends replacing the entire rear glass hatch with a new set of shocks as a single replacement unit, so they have ordered me a new one, and will install it when they install the front windshield which has finally arrived (no cracks or chips). I am soon to be a happy camper!! Yeah!

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pete the ex-glass guy here. Sorry it took me so long to respond. But here's the deal.
Typically, "stress cracks" as they are known as, occur seemingly from out of nowhere without any rhyme or reason such as something hitting the windshield. A Dodge issue and many here have had them replaced by Dodge. Manufacturers get reports from dealerships about these stress crack issues, and typically try to make adjustments in their next production to eliminate them, but this sometimes cannot always be in every case.
Certain cars are well known for stress cracks in certain areas, and I used to be able to tell you almost exactly where a particular make or model would develop one, but they have gotten pretty good about trying to fix these issues. Concerning the rear hatch glass, I cringed when you told us the dealer was going to use "rear view mirror" glue to glue on the shock. Uhh........no. Rear view mirror glue is for one thing and one thing only. Rear view mirrors. Nothing else. It is not capable of holding the amount of stress the epoxy that is used from the factory can. Two entirely different adhesives. Having said that, again, this is a Dodge issue and should not be attempted by you. Glad you have it resolved.
Pete (red98GTS)

OP
OP
D

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pete,
Thanks! Your input is extremely helpful. Hopefully all will be fixed in the next seven days. My crack is directly in front of the driver, starts at the bottom of the glass, and has been "snaking" its way north in a sort of "s" shape pattern so far. It's kind of fun trying to guess in which direction it is going to go next - believe that and I got a bridge to sell ya ;o)
Again, thanks.

SERPENT INDIANA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a 2002 F.E. ACR....the windshield also cracked from the post towards the center on the passenger side....heat was not a factor as the car was stored in a cooled garage....it just cracked sitting still....was told by the glass shop the problem was caused by DC not using enough of the black goo to hold the glass in......new glass is fine although it was a problem to get one that was distortion free....glass co returned 2 before they got a perfect one.....

OP
OP
D

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have heard from someone else that distortion is frequently a problem with replacement windshields. At least they finally got one for me that is not cracked!! I have my fingers crossed that it is not distorted.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the deal on "distortion" in new windshields: Occasionally, when new windshields are delivered to glass shops and dealerships, they have a factory defect, which occurs during manufacturing. They just get by quality control because of the huge number of windshields made. They don't have a way to sit down and inspect every single one with scrutiny the way I would if I were about to put one in a Viper, or any other car for that matter. Most of the time, the glass installer will, after cleaning the windshield thoroughly on the bench, hold the windshield up on the table and give it a good looking over for just that....a distortion, a blemish, something that would otherwise mar a nice installation. You can see these things if you know "how to look" across the glass and through it. Rarely, one gets by you, and you just have to remove it and the manufacturer will take it back through the dealer or shop. No biggie, just an inconvenience really. Sometimes a glass installer can notice things even the customer would not, and the windshield is rejected. So, basically, it's the responsibility of the installer to check these things as well as they can before installing the glass. They certainly would rather find something bad BEFORE they install it and have to take it out again. If it makes you feel any better, you can always politely ask if they would give the windshield a good looking over before they install it, and they usually are happy to double check it for you. Pete the ex glass guy with more installs than I ever want to admit to.

OP
OP
D

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Once again, thank-you very much for your very thorough explanation. Yes, this whole episode is an inconvenience, but thanks to you guys, I did some inquiring and as a result, the dealer will be installing a new complete rear hatch rather than messing around with glue!
Have a great weekend.
Oh, yes, the crack is continuing to advance, in its "s" shape, of course.