Help! wheel gap on right rear is about 1 to 1.5 inches higher than my left.

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it is not slanted on a hill. I hope I am not in deep ish. I have owned this Viper for about 3 month's and have got it running puurty. Except I noticed today that I on the right rear side my car looks like the damn thing is going to go 4 wheeling. So I measured it and it's about 4.5 inches of wheel gap compared to 3.25 on the left. What is up with this. I am praying it does not mean I have a bent frame. The car has been checked out by a Viper tech and I Ran a Carfax (hey it helped at least) everything seemed OK.

This has me worried, anyone have any thoughts before I take it in. The stock springs are not adjustable are they (97 GTS)? Thanks for the replies.

OP
OP
B

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I remeasured it again and it's not that much gap as in over an inch, but's it is there. I measured from the ground to the wheel well and it's over half an inch. This seems odd? You can see the difference once you actually look. Tire pressure is the same on both sides.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a similar, though not as drastic situation on my 98 GTS. I am planning on making a half inch spacer to go between the top spring retatining rigna nd spring on the driver's rear. In addition to the car looking better, I am hoping it helps keep the passenger front tire from locking up first during threshhold braking.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put your car on jack stands - equal height at the frame, on each side, wheels/ suspension unloaded. Measure to bottom of fenders - should be the same on each side. Put back on wheels and drive to set suspension, then measure to fenders again. If different, you quite likely have a suspension (spring) sag.

Later,

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put your car on jack stands - equal height at the frame, on each side, wheels/ suspension unloaded. Measure to bottom of fenders - should be the same on each side. Put back on wheels and drive to set suspension, then measure to fenders again. If different, you quite likely have a suspension (spring) sag.
I swapped the entire shock/spring units from side to side in the rear and it did not do a thing. It is obviously an issue arising from the shock towers and or the way the body sits on the chassis.

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Help! wheel gap on right rear is about 1 to 1.5 inches higher than my l

The gap between the wheel arches often differs from side to side. Measure from the frame rail to the ground from the centerpoint of the bottom control arm. If this measurement is off then first loosen and torque all control arm bushings at ride height. If the measurement is still off you will need a different spring coller (available from DC) or just adjust the spring (if you have an ACR or aftermarket shocks).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960