1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with my stock CD player

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by Bugman Jeff, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Bugman Jeff

Bugman Jeff Viper Owner

The stock CD player in my '97 GTS doesn't work. Here's what it does: Any time I turn the ignition on, the player tries to eject a disc, even if no disc is present. When I try to insert a disc, it will not suck the disc in, doesn't matter if the radio is on or off. If I push a disc in, it won't play, but still ejects ok. Any time it ejects, the ejector mechanism click multiple times. Here's a video showing exactly what it's doing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phnhIMDlGMQ

Am I just a moron and just don't know how to operate it, or is my CD player broken? If it's broken, is it something I can fix without replacing the whole unit? Thanks for the help.

2. 99 R/T 10

99 R/T 10 Enthusiast

No, sounds to me like the mechanism is just bad. Switch out the radio. Pretty easy, check your PMs.

3. dmerkle

dmerkle Viper Owner

Let me know what you end up doing for your radio.
    I'm looking at replacing mine this winter but from what I've researched, their isn't a "housing" offered for the gen II Vipers.
    I found a wiring harness through parts rack I believe, but I'm not interested in modding my dash if I can avoid it.

4. Andrew2KRT10

Andrew2KRT10 Enthusiast

It sounds like you have something no longer interested in insertion, trade in for a new model. Isn't that a problem us guys all face eventually ?

5. Bugman Jeff

Bugman Jeff Viper Owner

And here I thought getting a Viper would increase my insertion opportunities :lmao:

6. Bugman Jeff

Bugman Jeff Viper Owner

Ah Ha! I think I've found the problem. Maybe anyway. I had the CD player section out of the radio chassis(only 4 screws hold the CD player assemble into the radio chassis), and I made a discovery. The bottom of the CD player has three ribbon cable connecting the bottom circuit board to the rest of CD player. When I pulled them out of their housings, I noticed that there were little dents in the contact surfaces. From the digital speedo in another car of mine, I know that this can cause all sorts of odd behavior. The way these contacts work is there is a spring loaded "finger" that presses on the cable contact pad. Over time, the spring tension can dent the cable, making contact spotty. I wiggled these cables around a bit, and reassembled everything. Low and behold, it works! I'll test it out for a few weeks, if it goes wonky again I've got a technique for filling in the little dents that I'll try out. Here's a pic of the bottom of the CD player section. You can see dents in the cable. All three of the ribbon cables have similar little cable dents.

[​IMG]