Help with my stock CD player

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock CD player in my '97 GTS doesn't work. Here's what it does: Any time I turn the ignition on, the player tries to eject a disc, even if no disc is present. When I try to insert a disc, it will not **** the disc in, doesn't matter if the radio is on or off. If I push a disc in, it won't play, but still ejects ok. Any time it ejects, the ejector mechanism click multiple times. Here's a video showing exactly what it's doing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phnhIMDlGMQ

Am I just a ***** and just don't know how to operate it, or is my CD player broken? If it's broken, is it something I can fix without replacing the whole unit? Thanks for the help.

dmerkle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let me know what you end up doing for your radio.
I'm looking at replacing mine this winter but from what I've researched, their isn't a "housing" offered for the gen II Vipers.
I found a wiring harness through parts rack I believe, but I'm not interested in modding my dash if I can avoid it.

OP
OP
B

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah Ha! I think I've found the problem. Maybe anyway. I had the CD player section out of the radio chassis(only 4 screws hold the CD player assemble into the radio chassis), and I made a discovery. The bottom of the CD player has three ribbon cable connecting the bottom circuit board to the rest of CD player. When I pulled them out of their housings, I noticed that there were little dents in the contact surfaces. From the digital speedo in another car of mine, I know that this can cause all sorts of odd behavior. The way these contacts work is there is a spring loaded "finger" that presses on the cable contact pad. Over time, the spring tension can dent the cable, making contact spotty. I wiggled these cables around a bit, and reassembled everything. Low and behold, it works! I'll test it out for a few weeks, if it goes wonky again I've got a technique for filling in the little dents that I'll try out. Here's a pic of the bottom of the CD player section. You can see dents in the cable. All three of the ribbon cables have similar little cable dents.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave