HEMOTOX: Meticulously Engineered Streetable Race Car

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Engineered like no other car in the world" - Mercedes Benz commercial from years past.

There are roughly 294,891,178 individuals living in the U.S.

According to an annual wealth survey, the ranks of U.S. millionaires surged 33 percent in 2004 compared to 2003, to a record 8,200,000 millionaire households, (net worth excludes primary residences). Allow for an error of 2.2%.

From those 8+ million households, are there just 2,000 households that would want to spend $100k on a well engineered, steetable, race car?

2,000 is what percent of 8.4 million?

If a company...oh say Daimler-Chrysler...wanted to sell 2k such vehicles...let's name the vehicle something like Viper...could it find 2,000 buyers among those 8.2 million households in the U.S. (not even considering exported vehicles)?

Could they sell 2,000 vehicles that have bare creature comforts, rough ride, but brutish acceleration, sensual looks and amazing handling and braking?

By design, the vehicle would not be a daily commuter, would not be something for a casual ride...it would meet basic governmental standards. It would be purchased by those who can afford, and therefore demand, something unique...something that no other company offers.

If such a vehicle could be built by such a company, this vehicle would never be designed to compete with other vehicles manufactured in the U.S.

Many sales would be to those who wanted to pursue racing. Many sales would be to those who "want a car just like the one I saw win all those races." Are there not 2k such individuals?

What would, however, prevent that from occurring is the belief that these same potential 2k households would really consider a Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche or...Corvette as an acceptable alternative.

Indeed, it would need to believe that each year there are 2k households wanting to buy such a streetable race car. The company would have to believe that there is a specific niche market in the U.S. for such a vehicle, a market not addressed by other manufacturers.

It would need to believe that the existence of such a car served as a brand identifier; that it brought attention to the entire line of automobiles.

Now, there must be a reason that this theoretical company with this hypothesized automobile does not emerge to address that potentially available population.

The answer does not lie in the economics of the stock market (indeed, the stock market is the chief source of the 1/3 increase in U.S. millionaires).

The answer not the lack of America's love affair for the automobile in general.

There must be another explanation.

Alice

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is another expaination.

You’ve got guys like me who still buy even though they don’t have a million bucks. They just have no wife, have no kids, have too much time on their hands, and have nothing else to do with their money.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is another expaination.

You’ve got guys like me who still buy even though they don’t have a million bucks. They just have no wife, have no kids, have too much time on their hands, and have nothing else to do with their money.

AH HA! So, your a member of that club too huh? Any idea what we owe for dues this year? LOL

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is all so much clearer now.I just wanted to spend some money before tax time.Besides i now have the fastest newspaper delivery car around. :D :2tu:

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would seem that in those aforementioned 8.2 million households in the U.S., there would be 2k interested in an American exotic. I do not know if D-C has ever looked at that and/or whether there has ever been sufficient advertising to market the car in recent years. Ford is certainly doing well with the Mustang and, to some extent, the GT-40 (although it apparently sells itself at this point.)

Alice

SoFlaSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The auto enthusiast magazines have done an excellent job helping Ford to sell the GT at 50-100% premium.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moving the thread back on topic. The question I was asking was "why is there not a more targeted commercial for the Viper that would grab the attention of those who have the funds and may be willing to spend them on the car?"

The Viper does not need its own advertising budget as long as it is including (even in the background) of other Dodge product commercials.

Even those who admire the car have questions that suggest that they know the name but little about who makes it and its design purpose.

I was at a Dodge dealership this morning, and they had all manner of RAM truck, Hemi, etc. hats, shirts, etc on display. Nothing said "Viper", yet it drew a crowd when I arrived (they had three more on the lot).

Alice (HEMOTOX)

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd still love to know what the hell HEMOTOX means. And while you're at it, tell me what the hell VGX is. For [******] sake! How long would it take someone to type two sentences instead of giggling at me like I'm the [******] new guy! BTW, nice set of t**s you've got there, Alice. ;)

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Carrot, I already asked that one on another thread. It should be intuitively obvious to the medically inclined(aka Alice). It refers to the hemolytic/toxic effects of viper venom on blood. One more thing....put me in the "club" with Final GTs and company....viper coupe on order(when built)....300C on order(Christmas present to self)....house plans underway...Etc.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bob! I figured it had something to do with a blood toxin, hemo... tox.... but why would someone put it in the title of every thread they start. Sounds fairly ********, but she DOES have a nice set of teats, so I'll overlook it. ;) Now what does VGX stand for?

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds fairly ********, but she DOES have a nice set of teats, so I'll overlook it. ;)

Carrot you are an idiot!! A really funny idiot!! :D

Can't wait to meet up in FL. Maybe Alice will come and we will be able to see them in person. :eek:

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I can make it to Florida this time. I just went down there for an Alley GTG last month! Butttttt I would like to see the Alice ta ta's in person! Alice, maybe you want to make a trip to Dallas? I'll put you up in first class accomodations! Oh, did anyone figure out what VGX stands for? I'm quite certain one of you big thilly gooses knows!

Z06J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I can make it to Florida this time. I just went down there for an Alley GTG last month! Butttttt I would like to see the Alice ta ta's in person! Alice, maybe you want to make a trip to Dallas? I'll put you up in first class accomodations! Oh, did anyone figure out what VGX stands for? I'm quite certain one of you big thilly gooses knows!

Hey and if Big Carrot flakes on you Alice when you are in Dallas. I will step up and show a great time in Dallas.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alice, I guess the question is why do they not advertise more? Answer, from their point of view they don't need to....... 2003 production was sold out with the certificate program. In 2004 the allocation schedule changed to allow any dealer regardless of how many Vipers they had previously sold to order them.
2004 production......2,435 Vipers. Highest ever. Now, they may be sitting on dealers lots who don't know how to sell them but to DC they are SOLD, the dealer is THEIR customer. Now the recent plant shutdown would indicate that they have realized the the pipeline is more than full, but look at the numbers below, they still hit a home run in boosting unit sales in the last two years.
Also, remember Connor avenue has a limited capacity. The car is virtually handbuilt and any craftsman may stop the line if something is not right. They managed to get to the increase in numbers seen starting in 2003 by dropping the Prowler which was built side by side with the Viper, thereby giving them the capacity to double production. I have no way of knowing for sure but combine the old Prowler numbers with Viper and that is about the plant capacity. So they may not be able to make many more even if demand was higher.
AND, a couple thousand Vipers here or there would matter very little to DC. The bucks are in the 100,000's of 300's and Durango's.
When is the last time you saw Ford waste any money on an Aston Martin ad, same deal.

Carrot, I THINK VGX is/was the model designator for the Comp Coupe back when this forum started as the SRT and the Comp coupe were both being introduced, not sure.

Production numbers
'92 - 285
'93 - 1043
'94 - 3083
'95 - 1577
'96 - 721
'96 GTS - 1166
'97 RT/10 - 117
'97 GTS - 1671
'98 RT/10 - 379
'98 GTS - 837
'99 RT/10 - 549
'99 GTS - 699
'99 ACR - 215
'00 RT/10 - 840
'00 GTS/ACR - 949
'00 ACR - 218
'01 RT/10 - 874
'01 GTS/ACR - 877
'01 ACR - 227
'02 RT/10 - 545
'02 GTS/ACR - 918
'02 ACR - 159
'03 SRT/10 - 1875
'04 SRT/10 - 2435

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"quote from Hemotox"
"The question I was asking was "why is there not a more targeted commercial for the Viper that would grab the attention of those who have the funds and may be willing to spend them on the car?""

Why do we want them to sell more? The idea is to keep this car at a premium and unique. The numbers they are selling now satisfies their budget and I hope they keep the production numbers low. Exclusivity comes at a price and I am willing to pay for it, I really hope they continue to keep the production numbers on the low side. Then again at the end of the day I don't care what they do, to make my car more exclusive I sent it to Heffner's for a TT system.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee and Ken:

I was asking from the perspective of D-C's business model:

To wit, in order to have R&D budget, I am assuming that demand plus exceed supply.

Currently, the converse is true.

What I believe needs to occur is attracting a larger group of buyers.

And, I did not indicate a belief that more needed to be created. In the original message, I indicated that there would be 2k (435 less than last year) manufactured.

There would be a broadened market by addressing the 8.2 million $1mil+ houesholds thereby keeping supply low, increasing demand, depreciation minimal and consistent sales to spurn D-C R&D on forthcoming cars.

It was merely a concept. Jerry De Long could weigh in on this and may have a more meaningful business perspective. Jerry?

Alice (HEMOTOX)

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
When is the last time you saw Ford waste any money on an Aston Martin ad, same deal.

The last time I read Forbes. And the time before that, and before that.
Advertising in certain magazines is not a waste of money.
Yachting Forbes Money Fortune Power and Motoryacht = Not a waste of money.
People Intouch Hot Rod = A waste of money to advertise in.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure what "De Long" would say but here are my thoughts...

I think it's a good thing that they will not make as many next year. I liked it better when they were not mass produced. Not that 2500 is mass produced but...

They know they can sell (almost) everything they produce. Maybe they are trying to see what kind of market there is out there. I know they can not increase production to much without using a double shift or setting up a whole new line in another location.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry:

Whoops. Maybe you could ask De Long. (my bad)

My point is that it would not be difficult to guarantee a 2k unit per year sales if D-C would look at other target markets. I do not propose, nor do I want, them to make more of them, but I do want the demand to increase, and currently we have a supply side surplus.

My thinking was that the 8.2 million households in the U.S. certainly have enough to devour that surplus and insure that every year is a high demand year.

Talk to De Long about it and get back to me. Thanks.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they should produce less. That may take care of the demand side. I think that's why there has always been a fairly good demand in the past. More people wanted the product than they were producing.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno Jerry. I have a hunch that this is becoming demand-side economics rather than supply side. You can reduce the numbers, but this may now be offset by the proliferation of competing vehicles for this market share. I still maintain that while reducing annual output to 2k units (my original post), we still need a larger target market even to sell those units. And, if it goes below 2k units, I cannot see why D-C would have a financial advantage in producing the Viper. So, it is a concern.