High Idle / Stalling Problem on 98 GTS

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I come to a stop in my 98 GTS, it either idles high or nearly stalls. This is very embarrasing in crowded areas as I have to tap the gas pedal to keep it from stalling , which makes it seem as though I'm trying to show off.

This occurs in all weather-I've had it happen in 40 degree and 80 degree weather.

Also, sometimes the service engine soon light will come on, and then the next time I drive the car it will shut off.

I've been having this problem for a long time now-and now that the summer's nearly here I need to get it fixed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Miles on it?

Your NOS mods tell me that the 0-2 sensor is one probable. Check lite leaves a code that Viper Tech can read and tell you.

I think you sprayed-away your O-2s.

Not likley an IM gasket.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I betcha one of the front O2's.

P.S. - Tim. I spoke with you before about where you get your car serviced. I believe you stated a North Hills Dodge dealership. If your at all not happy, try Craig at Laural Valley Motors in Latrobe. He is a fantastic Viper tech., and the dealership is 'Viper Friendly'. I felt it was worth the drive.

Later...

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go get a OBD II reader it'll tell you which o2 sensor is bad (front, left, right, etc.) then just replace it. The o2 is only about $75 and is in stock at your local Dodge dealer
cool.gif

OP
OP
S

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the car in the shop today, and the Viper Tech said the oxygen sensors were all working correctly, and there is no intake leak. This morning on the way to the dealership, the Service Engine light was off, and the car ran ok. The Viper tech told me to bring the car back in when the light comes on, and he'll be able to find out what's wrong with it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim,

Does the car do this all the time, or is it an intermittent problem?

If it does it all the time, then using a OBDII tool your tech should be able to look at all the engine parameters and figure out what's going on even if the check engine light is not on.

If it's intermittent, then typically to diagnose you'll have to wait until it has the problem before you can find the faulty component.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32