Hit by a dog!!!

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday, I took my 00 r/t out for the first time of the year. During my outing, a dog ran out of the woods along the roadside, and hit me in the side of the car. I am waiting on a estimate of the damages....but its killing me. The passanger side of the hood has a pretty severe crack. To me it appears to be the shell of the hood itself, but the repair shop said that it is tough to tell until the paint is removed to inspect the underlying area. In addition the passenger side sill was push in about the size of a softball. The side sill damage is in the curved area where the sill flairs out to surround the exhaust pipe itself.

My question is that of repair parts vs replace with new, guestimate of damage cost, and any ideas on diminished value.

PLEASE HELP, my mind is racing faster than my car has ever driven!

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Six months ago I was riding my bike(with helmet of course) at about 18 mph. An owner called their about 50 pound dog and it ran into the side of my bike hard enough to break my carbon fiber water bottle holder. I hit the ground, broke my helmet, was more stunned than usual, cracked some ribs and bruised badly. It took about 10 weeks to heal. The dog owner split while my friend went to get a car. I'll take your accident. I think the dog now has a picture with a line through it of a cyclist on his collar. Maybe a Viper, too.

Did you get a tag number on that dog?

OP
OP
G

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, didnt get tag numbers on the dog....he lived and made it off into the woods on the other side of the road.... my insurance says that if I choose to make a claim that it will be covered under comp. Just trying to decide if it is extensive enough to claim. That decision also depends on if they will replace the hood, and side sill with new. I dont want it "just fixed" if I am gonna have to make a claim. Heard too many bad stories about fixed hoods.

Last edited:

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bit and run?

Seriously, you're OK, not hurt? It's only a car and you have insurance. Breathe.

Last edited:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hood and side sill = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you make a claim is when it shows up on a car fax,I had a toyota pickup that I used as a work truck. It got hit 7 times in 14 years.(most of them where when it was parked.) When I went to sell it I told of the things that had happen but only 1 showed up on the car fax. Dealers report to it but many smaller body shops dont. yours sounds minor, I wouldnt worry about it, just get it fixed right, and openly tell about it,(pictures of the damage helps). Good luck

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is the dog? (sorry couldn't help myself:rolaugh:) Seriously, cars can be fixed, good that you are OK!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess dogs do chase snakes but that really bites. Do a solid search on a really good body shop for repairs so its like new again. Only a few select cars are holding their value anyway so dont worry too much about the value down line. The true value is for you so I hope you get fixed like new again.

OP
OP
G

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do I let them repair or do I demand new parts? Do I even have That ability? What about diminished value....GA law does provide for diminished value....but any ideas on how much $?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know its tough, but stay cool until you know what the options are. The shop might be able to fix the crack perfectly well with extra glass, or maybe they can't. Until you know what the prognosis is, you can't really make a decision.

FWIW, I hit a kitten that dashed out of a cornfield, poor little sucker crouched down but he committed suicide anyhow and took out a big chunk of my fascia in the process (you can see the damage in my avatar photo BTW).

Cost a bunch to remove, reinforce and reglass the fascia but its perfect.....5+ years and no cracking or any sign of the "injury". Probably stronger than it was before.

So hang tight, see what the options are; once you know them you brethren here on the site can add some thoughts on how sort through them.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hood and side sill = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Yep, Insurance would probably total it. If what it cost to replace + what they could sell it for at auction vs what it costs to fix, in their minds.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you demand new parts with the hood, side sill, labor and paint you are looking at $20,000+ in repairs and that should total out the car. If you know you want keep your car forever demand new parts, let them total it out and offer to buy it back, buy backs are around the $10,000 range and then you will spend around 3-5K getting it repaired and you will have the same outcome as if you did not demand new part, you will however have a blemished title. If the insurance company values your car for example around 35K minus the 10k buy back they would cut a check for 25K to you and you get to keep the car, then minus the 5K for repair and you have you viper back on the road good as new with $20,000 in your pocket :headbang:

OP
OP
G

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an agreed value policy for 55k. With that I doubt im looking at total loss....would youall agree? Not sure what EXACTLY determines a total loss. Also part of why im asking about dimished value. The car has alot of sentimental value with reguards to my son and I, whom is no longer with me as ofabout two yrs ago.....so either way id like to keep the car for life.

Last edited:

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with good used parts if need be. And as DrumrBoy stated the shop might be able to fix the hood perfectly well.

I remember going into a salvage yard and they had a sign that said something like this.....
"Everyone buys used parts, you just drove in on them."

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
........My question is that of repair parts vs replace with new, guestimate of damage cost, and any ideas on diminished value. PLEASE HELP, my mind is racing faster than my car has ever driven! Any and all advice will be appreciated....................I have an agreed value policy for 55k. With that I doubt im looking at total loss....would youall agree? Not sure what EXACTLY determines a total loss. Also part of why im asking about dimished value. The car has alot of sentimental value with reguards to my son and I, whom is no longer with me as of about two yrs ago.....so either way id like to keep the car for life.

Dont let the insurance adjusters know of the sentimental desire to keep it for life. Sentiment adds NO value to the car, and hands them some serious leverage to FIX not total it.

Usually, 51% of the actual value totals the car, but it varies.......We'll chat about other stuff...........

OP
OP
G

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe it or don't...I was shocked myself. It did not break the hood apart into two pieces... but a significant crack between top of fender well and the mirror area, then a softball size dent in the side sill.

Thanks to all.
I will follow back once this comes to a resolution to inform

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do I let them repair or do I demand new parts? Do I even have That ability? What about diminished value....GA law does provide for diminished value....but any ideas on how much $?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're not going to get diminished value from your own insurance company. The only way to get that is if you get it from the other person's insurance company because they were at fault for the accident.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TowDawg, sorry but the mods have decided that anyone named "dog" or "dawg" can't comment on this thread as its inappropriate.

Just messing with ya.;)

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a Great Dane. 175 lbs. It would have the same effect as a deer.

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
70 to 80% of the vehicals total value is when an insurance co. will consider it an economical total loss. Where they base there values varies pending on what insurance co. it is, they are all are differant when it comes to determining value.

Did you ever have like a collector car apprisal done? If you did you could show that to them and that could help find a good value on the car.

OP
OP
G

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure the exact size of the dog. It appeared to be similar in height to my boxers....but it was seen from rear view mirrors. Weight unknown. I don't care to name the insurance company at this time, but as I stated before, The car is on an agreed value policy @ 55k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi