Hitch for viper

viper_man40

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to see if anyone had come up with a trailer hitch for the Gen 1 viper without cutting the rear facia. It looks like something could be installed on the rear of the frame (near the rear end) and have the receiver hook up there. I know Autoform makes a viper trailer for the viper and someone must of came up with something. Looking to tow a small trailer of tires. Thanks Jerry

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry, you mean like this?

186Hitchinout-med.JPG

I tow a small trailer that holds 4 tires, a jack, and a tupperware toolbox bolted to the plywood floor. I think it weighs 400 lbs loaded, and it's no problem at all. Just make sure you have a spare tire; blow outs with cheap tires at 80mph are not a big deal, but a little startling.

PS: We have to talk more about Viper ideas.

4207henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never thought I would hear Viper and hitch in the same sentence in my life!!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out my site, http://www.trishare.com/pictures1/

Plenty of pics of the hitch I used to have that worked out real good. I have a gen 2, but still it connected to the frame and fit just below the rear exhaust without having to cut into the rear panel.

I just got tired of the rush to set up the car when I got to the track. Way to much stress. It was a good move to get a trailer and tow the car, set the car up before hand at home and just unload at the track and drive.

Any more questions, pm me.

Andrew

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even better. I was thinking of attaching one of these:

You must be registered for see images

to tow the snake behind the RV! Why waste thousands on a Sloan Kwik-load! ;)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My receiver is positioned to go through the fake slot in the bumper and positioned just under the trunk floor. This means the hitch pin is vertically located in a hole in the trunk floor between the spare tire and the rearward wall of the trunk.

The trunk and bumper are slightly arched, so the cross piece must be slightly bowed out. The bolts attaching it to the frame ends are accessible through the open, outer bumper slots.

Since the turn signals are yellow, you need to get the converter box to get the red trailer turn signals to function. I connected to the wiring harness at the passenger side in the trunk and push the wires between the inner and outer skins when not being used. I used a razor to cut a slit (not a hole) in the large rubber plug on the passenger side to pass the trailer plug through when towing. Once through the slit, you can reach and pull it through the right side open bumper slot.

186bumper-med.JPG

Besides tires, it opens the option for extended vacations, trips to Home Depot, hay for the animals, bicycles, or smaller parade floats. I'll let you all ponder how many of those I've really done.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
a hitch on a viper...now i heard it all.
Why? Its the perfect answer to how to get track tires and tools to the track without trailering the car. Many people I know have wanted to do this.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides tires, it opens the option for extended vacations, trips to Home Depot, hay for the animals, bicycles, or smaller parade floats. I'll let you all ponder how many of those I've really done.

Tom, you had my support until the above statement. Please tell me you ONLY use the hitch for tires. Lie if you have to, I will believe.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also ponderable are surfboards/skis, cutting down and bringing home Christmas trees, Port-a-Potties (hey, the autocross chairman is an important role!), small single pieces of furniture, and empty drums. I was actually thinking at one time to make a calendar with pictures of all the other uses for Vipers. Think it would sell?

But yes, Chuck, it's more than tires. I carry tools and a jack, too. And now let's go back to pondering.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS: would you believe the original focus of developing larger rear brake calipers was to deal with the extra trailer loads and increase the Viper towing capacity?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The July calendar picture has a large dog house in the trailer. With the right camera angle, and from a distance, it looks like a Viper towing a travel trailer.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ONLY reason I would put a hitch on my Viper would be so I could hook up a small trailer and tow a countless # of Nitrous bottles!! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine