Hood Release Latch "relocation" - Front Mount Intercooler (pics and tricks)!

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a common problem.... "Where to", and "how to" mount the hood latch for front mount intercoolers, since the original mounting location is usually compromised by cutting the bumper for the front mount to fit. Just wanted to share how I installed mine and tricks to consider.

First off, yes, I did go ahead and cut my pumper cover with a razor blade. I probably could have gotten away without cutting the bumper cover (especially since it was just painted with only about 20 miles on the car after paint), but you cannot see that the cover was cut, unless you lay on the ground under the car, but then you see the hood latch, so it looks like it's supposed to be cut like it is. So basically, it looks stock and nobody will know or see for that matter. FYI, you can see in the pictures below, the hood release cables on top of the radiator shroud. Originally, they ran under that shroud. I also adjusted the cables so they both open at the same time. This car and also my RT / 10 always seemed to unlatch one side, then the other. Well those large tube looking things on the cables are what you turn, to shorten, or lengthen the cables to make adjustments. Once adjusted, I used some flexable glue to hole them in place so they don't spin on their own over time.

So to make things short, I cut a notch out of the fiberglass bumper for the hood release cables to go through, right on the top of the intercooler. Then I un screwed the bracket from the hood release latch and flipped it around. This allowed me to now mount the hood release to the fiberglass bumper in about the same location as stock. It is also just about as easy to access as it was when stock, just a little tighter area to get your fingers in though. I also had to cut the underside of the fiberglass bumper so when the hood latc hwas pulled, it could fully open up and release the hood pins.

Also I did use a few larger washers on the bracket once I flipped the hood release around and screwed it back together. This prevented the release lever from catching on the bracket. You will see what I am talking about if you pull yours apart... just a little common sense.

Once I cut the notch out in the bumper cover, I applied some touchup paint to keep it from doing any "peeling" in the future. I'm lucky I had some touchup paint laying around, otherwile I was going to use some clear coat fingernail polish.

The coolest thing about this... was the fact that is it is still like stock, and you cannot tell at all, that I cut the bumper cover. It just all looks like it's supposed to be there.

The pictures below should somewhat speak for themselves... but let me know if you have questions so I can try to help out and maybe this will help out others in the future.

You must be registered for see images

Had to use a razor blade to cut off the sides of the plastic. Only could use the top portion.

I like to use tape to mark off the area to cut, then make my marks on the tape...

Normal position of the latch:

I spun it around:

This was a test fit for the bracket at the bottom of the pic. Notice it sticks out... but it's ok, the bumper cover hides this once it's put on:

Mounted to the fiberglass bumper:

This pic is from the ground looking up. You can see it is a close fit, next to the intercooler, but still has plenty of room so it does not rub. After pushing on it, I found it shouldn't ever rub the intercooler. Also see the other area of the bumper I had to cut because that part will get hit by the hood latch wen it is pulled.

Shot directly from the front. You cannot see the latch!

I was laying on the ground and my car was on jack stands to get this shot.

This is where I cut the bumper cover. I cut it from the top, not below.... Just stood above it and pushed a razor through the plastic, like hard butter.

FINAL RESULT!

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Had to use a razor blade to cut off the sides of the plastic. Only could use the top portion.

I like to use tape to mark off the area to cut, then make my marks on the tape...

Normal position of the latch:

I spun it around:

This was a test fit for the bracket at the bottom of the pic. Notice it sticks out... but it's ok, the bumper cover hides this once it's put on:

Mounted to the fiberglass bumper:

This pic is from the ground looking up. You can see it is a close fit, next to the intercooler, but still has plenty of room so it does not rub. After pushing on it, I found it shouldn't ever rub the intercooler. Also see the other area of the bumper I had to cut because that part will get hit by the hood latch when it is pulled.

Shot directly from the front. You cannot see the latch!

I was laying on the ground and my car was on jack stands to get this shot.

This is where I cut the bumper cover. I cut it from the top, not below.... Just stood above it and pushed a razor through the plastic, like hard butter.

FINAL RESULT!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang