Hood won't Open!

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, any of you ever had this happen (2000 rt/10) when I pull the lever the left side will release just a lil' bit but you can tell the right side is not releasing at all! I tried to pull up the left side but the right side is not moving. You can tell when you pull the lever it doesn't have that same POP to it that it usually does. HELP!

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I understand this correctly, you got the hood to pop up but you can't get the right side to release the catch?

Can you get it opened enough that you can reach the cables? If so, take a pair of pliers and pull the cable.

I'm just trying to get a mental image of where it is stuck.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We finally got it open, I pulled up on the hood while one of my buddies pulled the latch & it opened! Now, I guess I'll lubricate everything & see if that helps.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I understand this correctly, you got the hood to pop up but you can't get the right side to release the catch?

Can you get it opened enough that you can reach the cables? If so, take a pair of pliers and pull the cable.

I'm just trying to get a mental image of where it is stuck.
Thanks Jance, I didn't see your post before my last one. When I pulled the latch it made a lil' pop not the loud POP it usually does & the hood wasn't releasing at all on the right side & the left side did just enough to get your pinkey in there but I couldn't really pull it up any farther because the right side was still latched completely (does that make any better sense) Lol!

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jance, I didn't see your post before my last one. When I pulled the latch it made a lil' pop not the loud POP it usually does & the hood wasn't releasing at all on the right side & the left side did just enough to get your pinkey in there but I couldn't really pull it up any farther because the right side was still latched completely (does that make any better sense) Lol!

Perfect sense! I'm glad you got it opened! You might try to use something to act as the "striker" before you close the hood again. You might need to adjust your cables so just be on the safe and play with it a little before you close it again to see if anything gets jammed or something. :)

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
She's clammed up, giving you the silent treatment. :D

Glad you got it. :1up:

Mike
Thanks BYT, we have a car show tomorrow at the church (they're honoring all local public servants including the Sheriff's Dept., WM Police & AMR Ambulane Service & Fire Dept.) & you know the First Thing Everybody always wants to see is the Motor! I couldn't imagine having to tell them I can't get the hood open! What would you recommend WD40 or White Lithium Grease?

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... What would you recommend WD40 or White Lithium Grease?

Well I'm not a real big fan of wd40 unless I use it to temporarily loosen a rusty nut or something. The stuff isn't so great on things you want to be permanently lubed. I'd go with the lithium.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456