****** Headers vs '98 Manifolds...Dyno Results Within...

TurboRob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
****** Headers vs \'98 Manifolds...Dyno Results Within...

We installed the ****** 1 3/4" headers today, and as promised, I am posting my results.

Installation:
Straight forward. Driver side O2 in wrong location. We had to "clearance" the frame a little. No big deal, but took an extra 1/2 hour or so.

Fit:
Excellent.

Finish:
Okay, but not what you'd expect for an $1800 set of headers.

Sound:
I am already running a Corsa 3" system with no cats, but two Dynomax Bullits in their place. It sounded mean before the headers, and still sounds mean. However, it now sounds more like some kind of race motorcycle at WOT. At cruise, it's actually quieter inside the car. Yes, I said quieter. No drone at all.

Seat of the pants:
Feels like it gained noticeable TQ and HP.

RWHP Dyno Results:
Well, not as good as I had hoped. We only gained and average of 10rwhp. The benefit was visible from 4500 up on the graph.

RWTQ Dyno Results:
Not much better than the HP gain. 16rwtq pretty much from 2500 up to 5500.

My thoughts?
Not worth the money on a stock car for sure. (meaning without ported heads) Look great on the car, and the sound is pretty cool.
The only thing that makes me not feel so bad about the rwhp gain, is the fact that I am still running an unported intake and stock cam. Maybe the headers will benefit me more with a ported intake and a cam swap. Will it be enough to take me from my 11.18 to a 10.99? I doubt it, but I Guess we'll see this weekend in Columbus.

Maybe this will save somebody else from spending their money in the wrong area. Though I'm not sure how typical my results are.

p.s. I did multiple pulls on the dyno and altered the AF with the VEC1 to compensate for the headers. I could swing the AF a full point and still be within 5rwhp of each pull. So I don't think there is much more that could have been done.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: ****** Headers vs \'98 Manifolds...Dyno Results Within...

Rob,

Great post thanks for your report, you definitely are making think twice about adding headers to my car.

If I remember correctly your car has ported heads so chances are the power gains on a stock set of heads could be none.

Thanks again
Russ

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Appreciate the results also! Perhaps the OEM manifolds aren't too bad afterall (given few mods)

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Appreciate the results also! Perhaps the OEM manifolds aren't too bad afterall...

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks for the info. The man who designs all of my engines said the stock headers look good on my 2000. He did tell me he would change the collector to a 3" if I went with a 3" exhaust. Also I was told that going to haeders on a near stock car will not help much and that only a good set of long tube headers will help alot on a heavily modified car. When I do finish my engine it will have a good set of headers I think the ones from Caldwell or Archer.

OP
OP
T

TurboRob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Within the next week or so, I'm going to change the 2 1/2" collector pipes to full 3" pieces. I don't know why they didn't use 3" in the first place, since this is their Super Comp header.

Anyway, since I have 3" exhaust, there may be a much more noticeable gain. I'll post those dyno results as well when I'm done.

(and yes, I do have ported heads with T&D rockers and stock cam with unported intake)

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great!!

Cant wait, thanks again Rob.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rob, the Hookers don't have a 3" collector?
How about any of the others Bellanger, B&B, Edelbrock, do they have a 3"?

cqmaster - let me know what you find out on that stock manifold conversion to a 3" collector, I may be interested.

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rob...good to see you are getting to experiment with the Hookers, you really should invest in a "good" collector (Burns, Dynatech, etc)...a merge 3" would be the optimum.

Give me a shout on the cam...I can hook you up.

Later.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Checking the inside of the collector on a couple, they sem to be 2 3/4". Anybody know why this is? I check both B&B and TNT's.

OP
OP
T

TurboRob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

KYLE!!! What's up??? Thanks for the input. I'll give you a call one day next week. I wanted to talk to you about a project we are doing anyway.

See ya,

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you didnt sell that badass buick because it wasnt silver did you rob?!?! whats up with the t/a?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rob, the Hookers don't have a 3" collector?
How about any of the others Bellanger, B&B, Edelbrock, do they have a 3"?

cqmaster - let me know what you find out on that stock manifold conversion to a 3" collector, I may be interested.

The collector is the part of the manifold which connects to the cats usually, yes? If so, I'd like to know more as well cqmaster, as it seems these aftermarket headers aren't worth the $...

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The collector is the pipe area where all the cylinder pipes come together (length, taper, interior cones etc affect the performance). "Merge collectors" offer the highest performance gains.

I'm still waiting for one of our "Rube Goldberg" types to slice the factory 2-1/2(?)"collector/connection off the end of a set of 98+ factory tubular headers and weld up a 3" connection / collector.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What's good for Super Comp is not good for the street. Especially with a closed full exhaust system.

Bigger is not necessarily better.

If you do convert to 3" I hope it works for you, but don't be surprised if it doesn't :(