HORRIBLE 1-2 UPSHIFT

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey fellow viper owners
I recently encountered some trouble while trying to shift into 2nd gear, the stick will get caught right outside the gear and it would take a little work and finesse to get it in gear. I have also noticed that it is worst when the car is cold, like in the morning after sitting in the garage all night, but after driving for a while, towards the end of the day, it is much better. One time, in the morning, the stick popped out of second gear. Also, when i try to get it in gear quickly, there is a grinding sensation and somewhat of a biting noise. This only happens in second gear so I have ruled out the clutch. When I took it to the viper tech, he said that everything was fine and it might be related to the skip shift chip, nevertheless he said it should resolve itself shortly. However it still has not and it is becoming quite annoying as it is making 1-2 upshifts very slow and tedious. Any ideas?

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be easy on it until the car warms up and is driven for a few minutes. Gently put it into second and when tranny fluid is warm it will go in nicely.

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How many miles are on the car? What Year?
A little more info might make it easier to diagnose.

Could be a worn syncro, but more info would help.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's happening when you are driving easy, it's probably your skip shift. Is your arrow lighting up in the information center?
Try taking of a little more briskly and see it doesn't help any. If that's not it, it might be something a little more detailing.

Gerald

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
speaking of skipshift- can i just unplug the solenoid from the tranny or this will set a ses code?

if just unplugging sets a code do i have to use a resistor to full the skipshift and if so what value?

anybody?

thanx

alex
02 gts
few other cars

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a worn/chipped synchro to me, or a bent/misaligned shift fork.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
speaking of skipshift- can i just unplug the solenoid from the tranny or this will set a ses code?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I did, and no adverse effects -no resistor. I just made sure I sealed up both ends of the connector to prevent debris intrusion.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the car is an '01 rt/10 with 1600 miles on it. When i shift the skip shift light has already turned off. Letting the car warm up does help it immensely, however, the problem is still noticable.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a local Viper tech mistakenly putting Diff fluid in the tranny. He had misread the TSB concerning NGR. Diff fluid is like pudding compared to tranny fluid. Maybe you should give it a flush with some fresh tranny fluid.

GTSFE304

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree it sounds like a fork. Have you missed a gear lately?? Chips don't warm up, lubricant does which helps(only mildly) overcome the physical challenge that a bent fork poses. Good Luck

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some creampuffs will give a code if the skip shift is disconnected. Cheapest skip shift eliminator is thru Midamerica Designs (a corvette parts company) ($17) if memory serves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixagg