Horsepower Challenge Viper vs. Corvette, Sept. 18, 2010

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, I get how the calculations are performed. If I don't have a dyno sheet, they're going to say my car has 600 CHP....done. But we all know that Dodge under-rates these engines to varying degrees. I've seen people with stock cars come in over 550 RWHP on the dyno, which equates to way more than 600 CHP if you use 15% for DT loss. If I have one of those "hot" engines, I'd like to have that "unknown" HP count towards our total. If I ended up with a "built on Friday" engine that comes in under 500 RWHP, I'll just quietly throw the dyno slip in the trash. :lmao:

I understand now...let's hope your engine was built on a Monday when they were excited about work!

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Trophies for each Generation. Howard....same entry fee as last year at $15.00 and 2 cans of food if we want to give?
Let's win this thing this year! :headbang:

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are trophys going to be given for the car's judged best in each Gen like last year?

We will have one judged Viper trophy this year plus the "king of the hill" trophy for the most horsepower. We will also have many other awards such as top 25 by year group for all cars at the event.

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
... Howard....same entry fee as last year at $15.00 and 2 cans of food if we want to give?
Let's win this thing this year! :headbang:

The entry fee will be $20 this year. We're not pushing the Food Bank this year like we did last year. We had so much food last year it was hard to transport it all to the Food Bank. So it's optional this year.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would I be allowed to run with my SRT Vert, or is it disqualified by the 13.49 rule?

My car is 630rwhp

There is no 'run' to this, it's effectively a car show at a hospital to raise money. The more HP the better, as it counts towards our total against those silly Vette guys.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good luck. Lately it seems that the vette guy here in Wstrn Cda don't come out and the Vipers often are more plentiful. None showed up at our AutoX, only 1 Z06 to compete with my ACR at Wms Lk show (I got the trophy). Last Charity "Mission Father's Day show" I attended there was 7 Viper and only 6 vettes out of about 1200 cars. Only 4 vette club cars showed up.

Race the Base had 4 Ford GTs and 4 vettes (2 ZR1s and 2 Z06s) whiler there was 5 Vipers entered and 2 Vipers in the parking lot.

Crompton wrote a thread "Ford does it better than Dodge" (notice no vette stuff in Wstrn Cda) because of all the Ford Mustangs he saw at a car show in Red Deer area.

Ted

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My plans have changed, I am going to drive up to Great Falls cars and coffee and I will be caravanning down from there with kcobean and the other guys making it to the HP challenge

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the wife out to let her drive the FE. Gen 4s stall easier in 1st. She seemed fine, so hopefully we can have 2 cars there--not sure which.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, as fate would have it, I will not be able to attend the Horsepower Challenge. The transport that is taking my car to Salt Lake City will be picking it up tomorrow at noon. I will be viperless for the first time in over 4 years.

Sorry guys, I have no say in this one.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, as fate would have it, I will not be able to attend the Horsepower Challenge. The transport that is taking my car to Salt Lake City will be picking it up tomorrow at noon. I will be viperless for the first time in over 4 years.

Sorry guys, I have no say in this one.

No way! You are joking right? Talk about bad timing!

ViperPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone remember how many total HP the vipers or vettes had last year?

This competition is just limited to the VCA and Corvette Club of Richmond for HP competition correct?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way! You are joking right? Talk about bad timing!

I wish I was kidding. I have to meet the truck at the Chantilly Dodge dealer in an hour. The car isn't even clean. I'm not thrilled about the way this went down considering I was told 5 to 7 days ship time and at least 48 hours notice of the trucks arrival. They're picking up 13 days prior to the event and gave me less than 24 hours notice. :mad:

ETA: And because I'm the only car in the entire north-atlantic area that's shipping out, this truck is going to be doing a bunch of pickup and drop offs of non-VOI related cars up the coast before heading out to SLC with only my car in it.

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'm in. According to their math, I'll be bringing 805hp to the table. Anyone that has mods done, be sure to bring your dyno sheet or they will count you at "stock" horsepower.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone remember how many total HP the vipers or vettes had last year?

This competition is just limited to the VCA and Corvette Club of Richmond for HP competition correct?

As I recall it was 12k (Vipers - 15 cars) to 18k (Vettes - 40+ cars). With these high HP Vipers headed in, and a good turnout, I think we have a chance this year!