Horsepower Found !

vigilantty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Generation I horsepower found!

After having my generation I intake reworked, I have found a weak link in generation I intake design. The generation I throttle boddy blades are attinutued within the throtle body, however mopar throttlee bodies do not line up with the factory intake runner. Having the thottle bodies indexed to the bore of the factory intake resultled in 12 peak hp on the dyno. I have found this to be cheap HP as compared to other mods. Please e- mail with questions or comments.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vigilantty, welcome to the forum! Very interesting observation you found. Where did you dyno your Viper? I was unaware of a local dyno. Did you recently aquire your Viper? I am a little south of you in Shavertown. :cool:

Dave

OP
OP
V

vigilantty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello 2badd4u! I have a Black 1994 Viper that I bought about a year ago. The dyno that I am using at Morgantini's Performance Heads Shop in West Wyoming. The dyno at the shop can only be used if the motor is out of the car. Last Fall I noticed the heads were starting to weep, since I was on the hook for head gasket change, I decided to invest a little more money in the intake and heads. I hope to you and your car in the spring.

8AV8

VCA Member
Reaction score
How did you index the throttle bodies? Same question on the
dyno I didn't know there was one in the area.

OP
OP
V

vigilantty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is difficult to describe this mod without pictures however here it goes. At the factory were the Viper engine was assembelled, the intake and throttle bodies were Manufactured by different companies at different times. When the intake is bored and tapped to accept the throttle bodies the intake hole is bored slighly smaller than size of the opening of the throttle body. Additionally, with small varience allowed in the manufacturing specifications of both the intake and throttle bodies components, the allignment of these components is not guaranteed. In the case of my 1994 the right throttle body was off of center about 1/4 inch and the left throttle body was off of center even more. I was told by the machinest at the Speed shop this condition is not uncomon, not only to Viper motors but to most mass produced engines. Unfortuantly, there is no easy way to determine if this condition is present in your car without removing the throttle bodies from the intake and measuring exact dead center (up and down and left and right) of the square throttle body base. At the shop they used a metal ruler to determine the true dead center of the throttle body. Then they scribed small lines on the throttle body base as a refrence. Then they matched the throttle bodies center to the intake opening dead center. Each throttle body is attached to the intake by four bolts. The correct way to correct throttle body misalignment would be to re tap the intake. However, the small distances that the throttle bodies are off would make this an overly expensive mod. The solution is to increase the size of factory opening in the intake. My intake now has larger slightly oval openings instaed of factory bored round openings. This misalignment issue goes unnoticed because the throttle body blade is actuated within the throttle body base and the throttle body blade never comes into contact with the intake face. I belive this is the reason that some Viper repond well to smooth tubes and filters while some do not. Additionally, a while back there was much discussion whether increasing the bored diameter of the throttle bodies increased HP. Cars that had proper TB alignment perhapse would respond favorably, but cars with mis alignment issues could actually increase the mismatch and make more turbulent airflow and decrase HP.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to see more Pa vipers, does this mean that we will have a bigger convoy ro Tators :headbang:

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Carmen! Yep sounds good! Can't wait for Tators!!!
And we need to do that rt.125 run again...you know the one Lauri set up ...awesome turns and twisties! :2tu:

Dave

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great!!

More Vipers for the RT 125!!

Mine is in million small pieces all over in the garage. I hope getting it together within 2 months. (and I might do the porting on my manifold before the run...)

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember carb flow bench tests in Cycle Magazine showing how the slightest bit of carb slide hanging into the airstream could throw CFM figures way off. It all adds up.

On my '94 years ago I noticed the TB butterflies weren't perfectly horizontal at WOT and corrected it..