horsepower upgrade (how much?)

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi there

Probably more is better but what is the minimal horsepower increase necessary to feel a difference in general performance? For example, is 50 hp enough or are the gains so minimal that more is needed to make a noticeable difference? This is for street driving only. Also at what point does the car start to lose its original driving characteristics (fuel consumption, traction etc). My GTS is my daily ride and subject to varying weather,roadway, and traffic conditions.

Thanks

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A general rule of thumb is that a 10% increase is needed to really feel it. I am sure you could discern a 30hp difference but not enough for it to increase the “fun factor.”

OP
OP
F

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks

At the risk of sounding mechanically challenged, does a 20% increase double the improvement or doesn't it work that way?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back when I had an Eclipse, one of the hotdog DSM tuners accidentall did a pass on the dyno with the air conditioning on. He corrected the problem but was kind enough to post the plots that showed the modern AC system was eating exactly 20 hp to the wheels (AWD of course) at the rpm where the car made its peak whp. One thing I have always liked about my Viper is that unlike previous cars, I really cannot feel that the car is slower with the AC on so I say the 10% minimum comment is a good guess.