How can you tell?

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a new viper owner now for just over a month now, I am trying to still figure out what isn't stock on the car. When I took it in for my first $100 oil change(yikes), the viper mechanic said he thought I had aftermarket headers and pipes. How can I really tell? Does anyone have a picture of stock engine components/muffler systems so I could compare? How can you tell if the rear end gear was changed? I'm still trying to get in touch with the original owner to verify everything. Is breaking the tires loose at 70 mph normal while accelerating hard? This car is ultra fast. Any help would be great.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
He "thought" you had aftermarket headers and pipes.... hmmm ... Viper Tech?

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming you're a member of the Illinois VCA (if not, you need to join), contact one of the officers of that region. He should be able to get you together with a knowledgeable member who can look at your car and answer some questions for you. The VCA and its members are valuable resources -- use them! The local VCA can also probably point you to a dealer with a Viper tech who can identify an aftermarket exhaust.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
THE YEAR MATTERS!

The cast-header tip only matters 92-97......
After that, stock headers were stainless short tubes.

ps....If the Viper tech did not know what was stock,
YOU NEED A NEW TECH !!! (Run, don't walk.....)

If you are anywhere near NoCentral IL, a trip to Roanoke Dodge in Roanoke IL will be well worth the drive.........

JonB

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
STEVE:If you are breaking the tires loose at 70 mph you are one "oil spot on the road" - "one tiny mistake" - or some similar event, away from hurting the car, yourself or some innocent-DON'T DO THIS ON THE STREET!
Join your local club and take the fast stuff to the track !!!

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

You're not far from me at all. I'd be glad to get together and we can compare Vipers. What did you get? Send me an Email at [email protected]

Spring is just around the corner. Insurance goes back on mine tomorrow!

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to find out of your gear ratio is stock or not it is pretty simple. Jack the car up and count how many revolutions your drive shaft makes to turn the rear wheels one complete revolution. If the gears are stock it should be a hair over 3 to 1 (driveshaft to wheels). If you get about 3.5 or 3.75 to 1 than you can figure out your ratio accordingly.
Hope this helps!

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BWoodbury:

Spring is just around the corner. Insurance goes back on mine tomorrow!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen, my brother! My insurance goes back on 4/1. We gotta hook up this summer!

Steve, I live in Schaumburg and would be happy to take a look at your car for you. Email me at [email protected]

OP
OP
S

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, great feedback. It's nice to know that you can come to this site and get some info. quickly and easily. When I was under the car at the dealership I noticed that the header pipes coming down were stainless but is the entire piece from the exhaust port to the 3" pipe suppose to be all cast if it is original? I can't tell looking from the top part of the engine. I do have the heat covers, if thats what you call them, on the manifolds. I wonder if the previous owner went to the extent to re-cover aftermarket headers with the wrap. (I did buy the car in Calf.) I just joined the VCA Illinois region a week ago and am looking forward to becoming an expert about the car. As far as the viper tech, he did indicate that the headers and exhaust were not stock but couldn't identify the maker - so that's the reason for the questioning, otherwise I think he knows his stuff. Bringing the car to Roanoke Dodge is NOT an option. Thought the people there were very rude to me when I was looking for a car. Three months ago when I told him I was looking for a 96 GTS with less than 15k miles for 48-50k he laughed at me and my pipe dream. Well, a month later I bought a 9,400 mile car in perfect condition (ran the vin and did ALL of the homework) for 49,200. Head mechanic told me he thought that the car was in the best condition he's ever seen as far as vipers go. (maybe the 18" p-zeros and the cinsis 20's impressed him the most).