How did you get into Vipers?

axe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious as to the hows and whys people on the board got into Vipers?

I don't own a Viper (yet), but I had the fortune of driving a used '97 GTS at a local dealership here, and ever since then, I've been hooked. Never experienced such performance before! Has anyone on the board driven a vehicle that is more fun to drive than a Viper? I've never driven any "exotics" before such as Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I just know my vehicles feel slow now compared to the Viper!

I've always liked the blue/white Vipers, but until now, never seriously considered purchasing a Viper because of the price. I think I've overcome that barrier now though.

Another barrier is finding the right vehicle. I've been searching even while I'm on vacation in Tokyo!

axe

'91 GMC Syclone
'93 GMC Typhoon
'00 Ford Lightning (for sale if anyone is interested!)

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Eric, I saw the prototype but in a car mag, never thought
it would be made, never mind drive one. But thats Hissstory.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You ASKED...wife and I have had a passion for sports cars predating our meeting in '64 (that's 1964)..but we had no $$$$$$...none the less, after a new VW for her in 1968, and an XKE in 1970, we ended up with cars everywhere(12)...Porsches, Jags, Ferrari's etc...then SHE went for an oil change in her Jeep( in a small town outside of Indy...the DAY AFTER the 1996 Indy 500 and VOI.3 held here at race time... all activities of which I had carefully AVOIDED as I was not particularly wanting to go on a "car binge" at that time) and saw a new Viper on the show room floor, and put a hold on a red/yellow RT/10...and SHE's been out of control ever since...feeling there is NOTHING at all like a Viper out there...BEST of all worlds from her viewpoint. She indeed is committed to the Viper cause with 5 in the garage now and one on order...and I'm just a poor victim, going along for the ride. (RIGHT!!!) We BOTH feel they are GREAT cars, a real ball to drive, and the Viper Club folks are among the FINEST we have EVER met, including above marques, IMSA, SCCA, etc.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Did you see "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind"
Remember Richard Dryfuss, and the mashed potatoes?

Well, after I saw the concept in a magazine, all the magazines began calling me. I flew 2000 miles to the closest show that had it (Denver) I walked up on the podium, in a trance, twice.

I was nearly ejected.

I wrote to Lutz. Ron Smith later replied...... I placed a deposit......sold buyout of my dep.......bought localy in 93.

Still as addicted as that first look on the turntable in 89.

Changed my career and life.

JonB

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took me a while...but it was worth the wait!

I never had enough money to even think of owning an exotic car but in 1994 I decided to go out on a limb and start a software company. I lived in a trailer park and feared tornado's but always loved exotic cars. Never really gave much thought to them though other than to look at. In 1996 I sold a piece of my first company and had enough money to go look at the usual list...Ferrari, Porsche, etc. I actually bought a 911 and had it for 4 years.

But in 1996 someone in Houston past me on the way down to Galveston in a Viper and the pure intensity, almost angry look of that car was burned into my mind forever! In '98 I was in Vegas and they had a Viper rotating on a moving floor in the MGM Grand. I sat and played quarter slots for a whole night looking at it. It was the blue with white stripe GTS. It made me want it but I still had a passion for Roadsters. Then last spring, I saw and had a chance to drive a jet black RT/10. It was pure adrenalin in a car. Even stock it made my 911 feel slow. So I bought it and a year later I have added around 300 horsepower to it...like it didn't have enough!

The Porsche is gone, sold to a friend but I still get to drive it and tour around together, but so far nothing has drawn out the pure animal instincts in me that the Viper has. Why else do we drive them...their steroids with wheels...beats working out doesn't it!

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get into mine one foot at a time. hahha Just kidding. I see you are a syty owner. I have had 4 Syclones and have one survivor. Welcome to the board.

Last year, my buddy, a Syclone owner, bought a 98 GTS. I loved the car and was always interested in them. When the time came for me to buy one, I got practical and decided to avoid depreciation and buy a classic instead. I bought a 71 Cuda vert, from a board member here, and a 69 indy pace car camaro vert. Well, my buddy kept coming over in his 98 GTS and allowed me to rocket around in it. I loved the car but had already decided not to buy one. One day, just after my buddy left my house driving his GTS, my wife asks me "You still want one don't you?" I said "Who wouldn't. I want a lot of things in life that I know I won't have." She then replied "not this time. Lets get you one" I DIDN'T make her repeat herself. hahaha She is very good to me.

You must be registered for see images

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 1993 Mazda RX-7 totally strung out on mods... made about 380 rwhp....

I used to beat up on the gen I vipers all the time.... the Viper was kind of my "target" car to beat..... mostly because I was jelous and wanted one...

then, when the HP was raised to 450.... I raced a couple... and I wasn't pulling away anymore.... pretty much even...

A couple people at the gym had vipers, and I started getting very interested.... rode in them, drove em.... my first immediate impression was .... damnnn... this thing "feels" so much faster than my car... aka "torque"...

and that was that, sold the RX-7, started my hunt for a blue/white GTS, and picked up my 1996 GTS... about one year ago.....

Brooks

http://viper.miamisci.org

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I saw the show car at the NY Auto Show in '89, read the specs and realized that it would be mine someday. It was what I would have designed if I could. All engine, hot body. Unfortunately beyond financial reach. Started a family, built a career and then one day in May of 1996 I got off a plane in Indianapolis and saw the new Indy 500 Pace Car GTS in the airport lobby. Now I really had to have it.... but still not enough resources. Finally last year resources allowed the purchase, but only a blue/white GTS would do and it had to be as close to new as possible.

Found my dream 1996 GTS at a small Dodge dealer in Vermont, sitting on the showroom floor almost 4 years to the day after it was built, still waiting for someone to buy it. It's now in my garage with 3,400 "very fun" miles on it.</FONT f>

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My addiction is very simple .... the car looks incredible. Very few cars are as low and wide and awe inspiring as the Viper. Oh yeah, chics dig it too.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My father and I saw the concept back in 1992 and liked the form and meaning of a new Dodge muscle car, so when we got home, we tried to find one around our home, but no luck. In 1993 we looked at the first one that came in th Clearwater Dodge and it was sold. My dad later placed 55k and asked for the next one in, so we got it a month later. That is how we got bitten. Now looking for the new concept GTSR.....

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw a picture of the concept in a magazine, about 1988 if memory serves. Had always wanted a Vette but never took the plunge, even when the money was available. The Vettes I test drove just did not quite fit what I wanted in a muscle car - so I focused on my business and always moved on - drove a Chevy pickup for years and years - quite happily.(still have an '89 pickup and enjoy that as much as the day I took delivery of it)

When I saw that first picture of the Viper -it was "love" at first site - I took the picture to my wife and said - "if they build this thing we are going to own one, one day!!"

Well it was at the Concourse weekend, here in Monterey- Historical Races and Rick Cole Auction - it was all happening - Rick Cole had one of the first goup of RT/10's built at his auction. We heard of a second one selling at a dealership in San Jose a few weeks earlier for $189,000 so here we were speculating what this one would auction for - it went for about $130,000.

That was a major setback - even the MSRP of $55,000 was a stretch for me at that time.I think we were the mosted dissappointed couple on the planet- at that time.
Soooooo we waited and watched the used market - and it held solid - prices stayed too high for too darn long.

Then in '93 or '94 came the first pictures of the GTS - well I thought Dodge was out to personally punish me.
Not only had they produced one design that I loved but they came out with the GTS that, for me, topped it. They could have put a 4 ****** in the thing and I still would be a buyer.
Said to my wife - forget about the RT/10, we will wait until the market on the GTS's comes our way. Well New Years Eve 1998 I took delivery of my 96 GTS Venom 500.

We flew to Austin Texas in Late November and purchased the car - arranged for its delivery -then almost immediately went off on Vacation, to return home New Years Eve to find it parked in my Garage (thanks to the help of a close friend meeting the transporter and taking delivery for me)

The whole flight home I was sweating that it would be wet and I couldn't take it for a drive.

I've never had butterflies like I had that day, Starting the thing up - Getting it out and on the road, and then our first drive....down the Big Sur Coast....on a magnificent sunny day- right in the middle of winter. I will never forget that day. I re-live that moment every time I climb in the car and turn the key!!!!!

I have been on this site since day one - in the club the first week I owned the car - do as many events as a busy schedule permits - I love the people, the friends we have made - the events we do.
Vipers owners are a great bunch of people - what a great pleasure it is to live in this country, drive a genuine contemporary muscle car and hang out with good folks. We are blessed.
My Story.

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was pretty predictable for me, I guess. When I turned 13 in '71 my father farmed me out as a mechanic's apprentice to an old redneck who ran a garage out in the boonies. I worked (slaved) out there every weekend and summer through junior high and high school, doing you name it ... brake jobs, clutch replacement, head gaskets, pulling motors, eventually doing motor rebuild work. All the while ogling the awesome muscle car iron that was running around in those days.

So no big surprise that the sound and the fury of big-block detroit iron is burned into my ROM ... the cobra was my absolute dream car. What does a kid like that grow up to be? An engineer full of nostalgia for the cars of days gone by. I thoroughly despised what passed for performance cars in the late 70s and 80s. When I saw my first picture of the viper prototype in '89 it was love at first sight, I couldn't believe that Detroit was still capable of building such a car ... had to have one. Like a moth to a flame.

v10venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I first saw one on my friends poster, and I was bit. The poison has spread to this habit, (addiction) that has me checking this website on a daily basis, and learning all I can about the car that is the rebirth of the muscle car.

I did get to sit in a 2000 Steel Grey ACR at my local Dodge dealership, (cool) and I got to ride in my friends dad's 68 SS Camero, (cool). It will be a while before I get a viper, but one will be mine.

It has everything that I want in a Muscle car, Big Block, fat tires and curves that are better than most girls that I have seen.

Jon

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love at first sight, when I saw glimpse of the prototype on TV show. Early '90's. (it gave me the horn!) More I could find out about the Viper, the better it became. For me, it was everything a car should be...and more. "Dream supercar" is an understatement! It took me six years to work hard and save up for one, but, I just had to have one. I put a deposit down, having never seen one 'in the flesh', (I knew I'd not be disappointed). Best thing that's ever happened to me. I will never become board of my Viper, I still get excited every time I look at those beautiful lines, my heart misses a beat and then my pulse starts racing, like when I first saw one way back on the TV. Firing up that V10, and driving is just a so enjoyable, and a wonderful experience every time. And, working / servicing the snake is just all part of the fun of owner ownership. I like their racing pedigree, Vipers go racing and win. I love the fact that the Viper's unique. The front mounted engine with rear wheel drive. The mechanics are big and basic, and unbreakable (no fancy gimmicks). I love power and torque, and that it has a V10. The size, (it does matter, as well as what you do with it!) It's addictive!

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've always been into Mopars, and I knew I wanted to own a Viper from the day they actually started producing them. I was suprised that Chrysler actually was producing a serious musclecar at a time when they specialized in econoboxes.

I've had an assortment of classic Mopar musclecars, as in Challengers, 'Cudas, Road Runners, etc. through the years powered by 383s, 440s and 426 Hemis.

I built a replica A/C Cobra (Dodge 440 powered)in 93, there was a pic of it in Mopar Muscle Magazine in 94 and the caption under the pic said it all "I wanted a Viper and couldn't afford it (Yet)". A few years later I put a 428 in the Cobra and sold it.

Next was a 71 'Cuda convertible (I wanted a Viper and still couldn't afford one), I restified it into a 440-6pak (the one that Performin Norman has, the one that my wife still wishes I had). When Norman bought the 'Cuda, that finally allowed me to buy my Viper (finally, after 6 years of dreaming about it).

I was talking with another Gateway VCA member (another classic Mopar guy) and he asked me "Do you think you could ever see yourself not owning a Viper again?" I said "The only reason I would sell my Viper is to buy a newer one." He agreed and said he felt the same way.
I love the car, it does everything I could want a performance car to do.

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am on the younger side (27) and have been into sports cars from a very early age. Since getting out of school and getting a decent job, I have had a few sporty cars (Trans Am, 300ZX TT, 3000GT TT).

In October of 1998, I was in LA for a Depeche Mode concert / visit and went to the NBC? studios (where they film Jay Leno's show). He was there and that day, he drove his 1994 Black RT/10...it was the first time I had been up close and able to see one (besides the three or so times seeing one in passing on the road). I was in awe, amazement, love - like a bumbling kid asking someone on their first date.

I became determined to get one - so after saving (for both the car and a rain/bad neighborhood truck), one year later, I became the proud owner of a 94 Black RT/10. Sometimes when I just stand back and look over the car, it still gives me chills - and now having one, realizing the performance that backs up those amazing curves... I truly feel I own my dream car.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich,

If I read your post right, I enabled you to seek out your dream. hahaa Looks like you owe me. hahaha Just kidding man. You are one heck of a guy and I am glad to be your friend. Just wanted to give you some grief. haha

Tell Nova that I am taking goooood care of the Cuda.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all started on that fateful day back in 1992, I believe. Before then, all through high school, I was into exotics. I drooled over the Lamborghini, the Vector, the Ferrari and I covered my bedroom walls with posters of everyone of them (along side Miss January and Miss May of course). But of them all, my dream was to own the Lambo, until that one day in '92 when a bunch of us were sitting around sipping on tall ones and bs'ing about how we were going to own these exotics. I was bragging how kick-a$$ the Lambo's were when one of my friends chirped up "Oh Yeah! Well look at THIS!" At that moment he handed me a magazine. On the cover was one of the most fearsome looking vehicles I had ever seen. It was the Viper. I couldn't get enough of that car. I read the specs over and over until I finally broke my silence and said "Now that's the sh*t!! I HAVE to HAVE one of those!" Of course, back then, it was all a pipe dream. I grew up never having very much money and never planning on going to college, but that day things started to change.

That evening I had a dream. And in that dream was a hill. On top of that hill was a warrior, standing tall and proud. In the hands of the warrior was a bow. He raised that bow and unsheathed an arrow, which he placed in the bow. He aimed high, and pulled back and unleashed his arrow. It flew high into the air and struck the ground in the distance.

"What does that have to do with the Viper," you ask. Absolutely NOTHING! I just thought I was getting a little melodramatic and started making fun of myself. Ha ha!

Anyways, to make a long story short, I went to college, graduated, worked a few jobs until I got lucky finding a job with a company I liked. After eight long years of dreaming and saving, I was finally able to afford the car of my dreams. Thanks to everyone on the board who provided me with info on this monster and hooked me up with "DA-MAN" Bill Pemberton.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always been into Mopars, have had 383 Chargers, 340 Dusters, and my last Mopar muscle car, a '70 Challenger T/A 340 Six Pak car. I thought that was a blast of a car to have, and d**n lucky to own one, only made 2400 of em total. Having moved from Indianapolis to Hastings, Mi, I met up with a friend here in town who is as fanatical about Mopars as I am. We went to the Detroit auto show, and saw the Viper. That was it for me. I got a brochure of the '92, then I saw a Prowler a couple years later, and got interested in that. When I figured the performance angle, the Viper won, hands down over the Prowler, so the Viper became the obsession. Sold the T/A 3 years ago, then started looking for a Viper for real. Found one about 30 miles from here, the guy let me drive it, a '94 RT/10, and it was awesome! I could not believe the power it had, it was actually scary, but I loved it. Looked some more, found some terribly beaten up ones at a dealer I will not mention, then finally found one in Cincinnati that we bought. It had sat in a dealer showroom for two years in Louisville before the first owner bought it in '96. So it was only two years old when we purchased it. I had to drive it home to Hastings (325 miles) that day, (Yea, like somebody twisted my arm to do it)! It puts a permanent smile on your face, it is an experience to own one, no doubt about it! I just went out and sat in it a couple nights ago, started it up, moved it in and out of the garage a couple times, and I just can't wait for the better weather to get here. Every spring it is a ritual, learning all over again how to drive that honkin car. Be careful with it, especially from first to second, or it will rear up and bite you so fast, it takes time to learn its intricacies and you don't go out and show off in it, or there will be h*ll to pay. But that is part of the fun of the car too. That and polishing it up, driving down a small town main street, and seeing just about everybody who is into cars go wild when you drive by. You get the thumbs up sign all the time, great comments, "Take me for a ride" is a common one. You gotta get one!