How do Insurance Co's value wrecked Vipers? See this amazing story!!

starcity

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do Insurance Co\'s value wrecked Vipers? See this amazing story!!

I have a client who recently purchased a 93' Viper with 5k miles. 3 weeks later, he was in the craziest natural disaster imaginable. See his story below, you won't believe this one....

***below his story are some Insurance claim questions you guys might be able to help with. Thanks, Chris.

Dear son,

I totaled the Viper.

I'm Ok, not in the hospital and haven't a scratch. But it was close and got closer as seven police officers and a dozen bystanders all told me I should be dead by lets see: beheading, drowning, hitting a tree, stone wall or other immovable object head-on - or maybe just bled to death. What a fun crowd to hang out with in 30 degree weather.

Here's what happened. About noon with the sun shining near 70 degrees and few clouds in the sky with a warm breeze and other "nice day" signs, I decided to head down to my favorite car shop and pick-up my vanity plate bracket in the Livery. On the way back within two miles of the house, it began to rain - just a light drizzle as clouds began to form overhead. Rather suddenly. Then it turned to a downpour in a few hundred feet, which turned into light hale, heavy hale, snow and finally ice. Mind you, it was clear and sunny two miles back. Of course I have no top on the car so I'm really trying to beat the rain to begin with. Suddenly, according to news reports and the police, there was 2-3 inches of ice on the road between and only between two stop lights less than two miles apart - and no where else. It was a freak of nature people were saying they had never seen before. Nor so suddenly. The temperature dropped to below freezing in minutes if not seconds.

I'm in the fast lane. Suddenly my tires break lose and I'm hydroplaining. Then spinning in circles. Followed by taking flight into the air about 20 feet up, flipping at least once, sliding between two large oaks, over an embankment, into the air again backwards where I slammed into a steel walking bridge spanning a creek, where I turn again and land flat in the creek about 30 feet down.

By now the creek is a torrent from the sudden rains and the car begins to sink with me strapped in. I get the harness off, grab my briefcase (??) and as the water is above my chest and rising rapidly, I realize the water pressure hasn't stabalized enough for me to get the door open (or it;s damaged shut). The water is at chin level and to make matters worse I'm a whole lot heavier than norm because I wore your Mother's mink coat and it's REALLY HEAVY with water. I climb up on the seat but I don't know the depth of the creek so I hesitate hoping the car will hit bottom. It doesn't and continues to disappear underneath me, threatening to **** me down with it. Two guys are on the bank ten feet away and I make a dive for it, but sink to my toes before managing, with their helping hands - in the middle of a storm you can barely see in - to help me out and up the bank. My hearing aids are shot from the water (later to dry-out and somehow come back to working order) so I can't hear a thing.

The Viper sinks below the surface as I begin to feel vibrations of some sort. Turns out six more cars including a totaled BMW are busy cracking-up all over the highway like me. But I'm the only one to go in the drink.

The cops have interesting stories to tell me. Like, "I've never seen such a good accident". A good accident? "You should be dead". "You could have landed upside down and drowned" "If you hit the bridge a little lower you would have been beheaded" I especially liked that last one. And I've always had a fear of drowning. "You could have hit the stone wall head-on". "It's probably good you didn't have air bags". "Are you sure you're not hurt?" "How could you possibly have gotten out of there alive?" "What year is the viper?" "Is it one of those V-10s?" "What's the horsepower?'. Enough to get me in the creek. I tell everybody it's my son's car and he's going to be really mad at me.

And so it went until they drove me home to change and back again to wait for the tow truck...
and the scuba divers to get underneath the car and hook it up for pulling out of the creek. That took some hours as turned dark and began to rain again.

I'm a little sore I'm finding. But I'm seemingly OK otherwise. The news cameras from Channel 2 were all over the place and I refused to talk with them. Bloody hell they will get some fun news out of me. I'm sure glad i didn't take Shalimar with me. They had dogs there too in case they needed to locate the dead driver who most people didn't know was standing right beside them listening to what I could hear them jabber about. I had a police jacket on a cop gave me for warmth, and free pizza and coffee brought by the owner of Garlex Pizza down the street to feed the gawkers. Everyone, including all the cops are snapping pictures. After all, it's not every day a guy flips his Viper and goes airborne into a creek, between two Oaks, hitting a bridge and missing a stone wall. And walks away. Other cars took out trees and stuff. All between two stoplights. the cops could not stop saying they had never seen anyone walk away from an accident like this. Others were saying it was a miracle. Some asked me if I were religious and believed in Jesus. A couple of others asked if that was a Viper "in the toilet". It was turning into a circus.

How did I get that blood on my chin one asked (it was Shalimar and I playing a little too rough this morning when her nails shot out and accidentally grazed me). My back hurts a little and I'm out of meds until Tuesday at least.

Other than this I had a good day.A little more exciting than planned, but otherwise not bad all in all. Except the viper's totaled. Will call the insurance people and go see it at the tow place. Then start looking all over again for a bargain Viper. I bought driving gloves today too. And soaked my Prada driving shoes. The water didn't taste good either. I'm going to go take a shower.

I hope your day was good.

Love,

Dad

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Anyway, he is waiting to hear back from Farmer's Insurance who he has been with for 20+ years to find out how much they will fork out. Any idea on how Insurance companies will pay for such a car? Do they base it on Wholesale or Retail Book values or market rate, etc??? Since Vipers are one of the very few cars that ever sell for over Book value, it is hard to determine how much they will pay him. In an recent post, I saw State Farm payed out $42k for a 19k mile Gen1 ??? Also, how soon can he expect to see any money from them? He is waiting to find out how much they will reimburse him prior to investing in another Gen1 Viper. Thought I would help him do a little homework and provide some comps from other Ins. carriers. Please provide any feedback or experiences. Thanks.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: How do Insurance Co\'s value wrecked Vipers? See this amazing story!!

Is that story for real?

"Of course I have no top on the car"
"...the water pressure hasn't stabalized enough for me to get the door open"

Why even worry with the door? Is this like the blonde who locks her keys in a convertible with the top down?

HotWheelz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for posting that story. I'm glad he survived! Please keep us posted with more information and pictures if you get them.

D.K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Ahhhh ok, this could have been written into the movie "Big Fish". It's near 70* and sunny two miles back and all of a sudden "it turns into a downpour in a few hundred feet, which turned into light hail, heavy hail, snow and finally ice." Or how about that other movie where New York turns into the North Pole! He say's hale? Is that like a hay bale or something?

And btw........he went to pick up his personalized plate bracket at the livery? WTH is a livery? Sounds like he has to get back to plow the south 40!

****No offense to the fine farmers of this country who help feed this great nation of ours. :usa:

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was the one whose Gen1 was valued at almost $41k (including sales tax). I had State Farm, not Farmers Insurance, but they were FANTASTIC. I received the money within a week of us completing the claim. I was really worried before speaking to State Farm that I would get screwed... I thought about hiring an independent appraiser to get fair value of the car... For me there was no need. In Pennsylvania, cars are valued not by bluebook value, but by market value. For an limited car like the viper, they find comparable cars for sale nearby and use their *ASKING* price to value the car. I think I got lucky, as there was a nearby yellow gen1 that the guy was asking $38k for, and they used that to value my car. I assume these valuations are state-specific, so I'm not sure how it's done in other states.
Anyway, State Farm in PA was great, and I hope others can get as fortunate as I was. At least he's safe. Feel free to ask anything regarding my insurance estimate, and good luck to your friend!

italian1nj

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Is that story for real?

Why even worry with the door? Is this like the blonde who locks her keys in a convertible with the top down?

What about "to make matters worse I'm a whole lot heavier than norm because I wore your Mother's mink coat and it's REALLY HEAVY with water"??????

I am sorry but this reads like it should be in the "jokers" section. :confused:

RainMaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yikes!

I just posted the actual news story on another thread!

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

...and then there was this time in band camp...

EDITED...

Well that takes all of the fun out of my post!

:curse:

OP
OP
S

starcity

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This news article was found by RainMaker which is true (except wearing the Mink Coat of course)...

This just in from the Sunday Feb 19 of the Contra Costa Times:

Danville

MAN CRASHES CAR, EMERGES FROM CREEK: A man in his 60s amazingly survived unscathed from a spin out Saturday that sent his red Dodge Viper into a gushing Sycamore Creek in Danville, police said.

The unidentified Danville resident was driving along Camino Tassajara during a Saturday afternoon hailstorm when he lost control of his car, which ended up completely submerged in the creek, said Danville police Sgt. Tom LaRocque.

With the help of a passerby, the man swam to safety. The spin-out happened around 4:15 p.m. just north of Sycamore Valley Park.

That accident was one of five that happened around the same time along icy Camino Tassajara, LaRocque said. No one was hurt in the other four accidents.

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a client who recently purchased a 93' Viper with 5k miles. 3 weeks later, he was in the craziest natural disaster imaginable. See his story below, you won't believe this one....
This news article was found by RainMaker which is true (except wearing the Mink Coat of course)...

So is this actually someone you know, or just a news story you found?

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is that story for real?

What about "to make matters worse I'm a whole lot heavier than norm because I wore your Mother's mink coat and it's REALLY HEAVY with water"??????

I am sorry but this reads like it should be in the "jokers" section. :confused:
And on a 70 degree day he wears a mink coat. Should win the Darwin award. Sorry but that story has more drama than I care to believe.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It don't smell right.
Too many "funny" things that don't make sense.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery