How do you keep the rear end at the rear?

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why the issue with the 2nd to 3rd shift, i feel like i just entered "the safe zone" once i'm out of 2nd under hard accel on the mexican highway

:eater:

Application of torque is one problem, it has to be smooth and even. Even in a turn, or the start of a drift (like a standing start on a road with a crown on it), this is manageable with countersteering and/or feathering the throttle.

The other problem is reversal of torque which occurs when you shift. All the load is one way under acceleration, then you clutch to shift and BAM, the car is sideways. This is why the shifts are causing snakebite, even in a seemingly straight line. Same principle becomes second-nature at the track -- you never let off in a turn -- and why track time is so valuable for learning to drive on the street.

:2tu:

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess one important thing to learn is not to try to power through a skid. When the car starts to spin, instantly lift throttle, and if you can, steer in the direction of the skid. Don't try and modulate throttle and steer through the skid. I've pedaled a 600+rwhp C6 Z06 from 60-100mph spinning the entire time down the highway, my 260whp turbo drag bike spinning till 140mph at the track (got out of the groove) and most of those you can steer/pedal even with the back tires spinning. The Viper just isn't like that, and I've spun out in the Viper and learned my lesson. Check some of my older posts. I'm driving the Viper in rain, beating on it when it's 27F outside, and I'm not wrecking the car, because I lift when it starts to spin and get sideways. Good luck!

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
j-rho;2804009 Anybody pushing their car hard enough on the street for the diff to even be a factor said:
Thanks for letting me know that I'm a ***** cause everytime I give my 08 more than half throttle on the street the back end start to swing left and right. At first I tought I was getting wheelspin but then I realised it was the Diff locking or unlocking one side after another. This can be very annoying and even scary with lots of throttle,but good to scare the **** out of a new passenger. Twice at the strip it started heading for the guardrail even after shifting into second gear.
I treat the car with respect but would def consider a unit like the Quaife if it solves this issue.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen III OE diff is a piece of crap for sure but I don't think it's as bad as everyone says. It can even work ok when driving hard with the right fluid in it. The Gen 2 (and Gen 1 I'm guessing) diff is a basic clutch type which is perfectly fine.

Anybody pushing their car hard enough on the street for the diff to even be a factor, is a *****.

****....:lmao::lmao::hahaup:

Guess there's a bunch of "morons" on here....:rolleyes:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen III OE diff is a piece of crap for sure but I don't think it's as bad as everyone says. It can even work ok when driving hard with the right fluid in it. The Gen 2 (and Gen 1 I'm guessing) diff is a basic clutch type which is perfectly fine.

Anybody pushing their car hard enough on the street for the diff to even be a factor, is a *****.

Thanks for letting me know that I'm a ***** cause everytime I give my 08 more than half throttle on the street the back end start to swing left and right. At first I tought I was getting wheelspin but then I realised it was the Diff locking or unlocking one side after another. This can be very annoying and even scary with lots of throttle,but good to scare the **** out of a new passenger. Twice at the strip it started heading for the guardrail even after shifting into second gear.
I treat the car with respect but would def consider a unit like the Quaife if it solves this issue.

"Enthusiast"....... enough said...:rolleyes:

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Claude, if you're going straight the diff isn't doing anything unless you're getting wheelspin. The diff can't "lock one side or another", it locks both wheels together, or not, depending on what's going on. I see you have a Gen 4 but if you're interested I did a good write-up of workings the OEM Gen 3 diff in the thread detailing the racing experience I've had with my car:
http://forums.viperclub.org/viper-racing/611364-j-rho-autocrosses-srt-10-scca-ss-class.html

There are cars making as much power as Vipers available with open diffs, clutch-type diffs, helical diffs, and viscous diffs of varying goodness and badness. I contend that individuals operating their vehicles so near the limits of available traction on public roads, that the nuances of the differential are the determining factor in whether they crash or not, is a *****. The street is not the place to experience your automobile's limit behavior, especially when its limits are as high as the Viper's.

The place to test the limits is at the drag, autocross, or track. To change the diff to make the car better in those pursuits makes sense, but to change it to make the car "safer while near the limits on the street" is a bad move.

Last edited:

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess one important thing to learn is not to try to power through a skid. When the car starts to spin, instantly lift throttle, and if you can, steer in the direction of the skid. Don't try and modulate throttle and steer through the skid.

Well, I could not disagree more! Sounds like a setup to snap into a full blown spin if I ever heard one. :dunno:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Application of torque is one problem, it has to be smooth and even. Even in a turn, or the start of a drift (like a standing start on a road with a crown on it), this is manageable with countersteering and/or feathering the throttle.

The other problem is reversal of torque which occurs when you shift. All the load is one way under acceleration, then you clutch to shift and BAM, the car is sideways. This is why the shifts are causing snakebite, even in a seemingly straight line. Same principle becomes second-nature at the track -- you never let off in a turn -- and why track time is so valuable for learning to drive on the street.

:2tu:

thanks for the informative reply :headbang:

Well, I could not disagree more! Sounds like a setup to snap into a full blown spin if I ever heard one. :dunno:

:eater:

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Claude, if you're going straight the diff isn't doing anything unless you're getting wheelspin. The diff can't "lock one side or another", it locks both wheels together, or not, depending on what's going on. I see you have a Gen 4 but ....

Sorry to disagree but I am going straight and not getting wheelspin, so it has to be the diff acting up when going lets say from 45 mph in second gear and giving it half throttle or more and feeling the back end sort of dancing from left to right.
Maybe my 08 diff is defective or not set-up properly from the factory but I've heard of others complaining about this fact.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery