How do you replace the drivers door wiring harness?

Brentt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been having problems with the drivers door opening so I figured it was a broken wire. I pulled back the rubber boot and it looked like a rats nest. Obviously someone had been in there several times before as at least 7 or 8 wires had been cut and soldered. After about 3-4 hours of trying to trace down the correct wire and re-do the previous work, I finally gave up and ordered a new harness.

Thanks to the search function, I've got the door panel off but I can't figure out how to get the harness loose from underneath the dash. All tips and help are appreciated.

Thanks,

Brentt

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you get the new harness look at it and there may be some clues as to how it is attached? :dunno:

Gotta ask though... Where did you find it and how much $ was that harness?

OP
OP
B

Brentt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave6666,

I found the wiring harness on Ebay.

My car only has 9000 miles on it so I know the door hasn't been abused. There must be a better way of routing or connecting those wires. I was thinking about something like the wireless switches the hot rodders use in their door jambs, but there wouldn't be enough connections and mounting would be a challenge.

Painless Performance: Jamb Tac/Five Contact Wireless Connector (dome light + 4)

alexander m embry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem with wires so I cut them all and inserted a wiring harness the runs the length of the door boot so that when it fails agian i can just unplug and plug in a new harness.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have replaced numerous door harnesses. I can give you some pointers and explain the problem why they go bad, its not hard but but takes time to do it right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950