How does one flash the PCM?

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my 98 GTS at a nearby Dodge dealership for 4 days now because it throws two codes, 0442 and 0455, both evaporative emission control system leaks, one small and the other large. It first started in August and I was told to change back to the stock gas cap. That didn't help. I addition, last month I started to smell excessive gas fumes on startup.

At the end of day one I got a call from the dealership saying that they had to flash my PCM. I said OK, but asked why are they were calling me, I've still got a Maxcare warranty that is good until next month. They replied that I still had to pay for diagnostics but not for repairs. I was told that if parts need to be ordered, it could be a week before I get my car back.

Three days later, except for flashing the PCM they still haven't touched the car. I've called every day and they always say that they will be starting on it that day. "We will have to take the bumper off." That's a 15-20 minute job. Now it's the weekend. I'm going to met with the service manager on Monday about this.

Anyway, what is involved with flashing the PCM? Exactly how long does it take? Is it much more involved then plugging in an OBDII code reader?

Thanks.

DrDJ

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The code that you are getting is associated with the pcv system. There is a can under the drivers side front fascia, a vacuum is pulled on the can by a hose that runs from both front runners of the intake manifold. You can follow the hose from the intake to the left side of the engine and than forward to the can. The can then draws a vacuum on the gas tank. That is the plumbing part of the system. If there is a loss of vacuum the PCM throws a code.

Unless they know that the PCM is at fault, it seems strange to have to reflash?? the PCM. They do have to pull the front fascia to get to the can.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 minutes to flash the computer.....they hook up their computer to your car that talks via satellite to get the flash. It is not done with the DRB/OBD2 box.

Jack told you the rest of the story.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960