How far does everyone go on mobil one?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I change the oil every 5k to 6k miles with Mobil-1 15W50, Viper is a daily driver, works out to an oil change once or twice per calendar year, I drive between 8k and 14k miles per year (depends on how much it rains, as I don't have any fun slipping around in the rain, so I drive a 4wd then).

Had 70k miles on my Gen I using this schedule, no problem at all, no oil usage, etc.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan, a 30-40 mile trip will dry out the oil because by then it has reached above 212F. You can go the 7500 easily.

FE 065, it's not that oil absorbs moisture just by being exposed, it's the moisture of combustion, which combines with exhaust constituents to form acids. Owners that start their engine once a month in the garage and let it run for 10 minutes are never going to get the oil hot enough to boil off the water. A dry oil is a happy oil. So it's better to change to your "next year oil" in the fall and just let the car sit until you drive again.

One way I like to calculate your drain interval is by fuel consumed. If you drive hard, you use more fuel and drain interval is shorter; drive easy, better MPG, drain is longer. Simply look at any other car you use to get a starting point...

7,500 miles / 20 MPG = 375 gallons in your commuter car?

375 gal * 12 MPG = 4500 miles in your Viper.

My next million dollar idea is a fuel-o-meter so you can keep track of this in your car.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can say that you are asking Viper enthusiasts this question. Your answer expectedly is going to be very different from what Mobil recommends. More than once a year unless you are tracking the vehicle is useless. That is if you are not putting much in the way of miles on it. It literally is a waste of money. But then again everyone has an opinion.