How hard is it to get a soft top?

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a 93-95 RT10, & there are two I'm really looking at, but neither have a soft top. They both have hard tops but living in Ohio where the weather can change in 5 mins, I really need to have a top in the trunk. I saw on ebay there was a aftermarket one, is it any good?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a brand new in the Box never used soft top for a 95 RT.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
apparently not that hard. I traded a local guy the aftermarket wheels that came with my car for a soft top.

its great to have for those days in the mountains when a surprise thunderstorm pops up.

R/T 10der

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folding hard top that fits in the trunk is the way to go, it even gives you more room in the trunk.:2tu:

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For what its worth, I wouldn't get a soft top, its what I have now and it is a pain in the a$$ to fold and put into the trunk. I'd either get a foldable hard top, or just take my chances that it won't rain :)

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Folding hard top that fits in the trunk is the way to go, it even gives you more room in the trunk.:2tu:

Actually, this isn't true. In my personal experience, and despite the marketing hype, the three-piece hard top does take up more space in the trunk than the soft top - I've got all three tops (factory hard top, factory soft top, and the "trunk-top" three piece top), and, no matter how I stow the three piece top, I can get less stuff into the trunk than I can when I have the soft top in the trunk. Now, perhaps its just because I've had an RT/10 for almost 10 years and know how to fold the soft top to take up less space (very easy to do, just roll it up with some towels over the hard bits), but I can get in a overnight bag and car cover on top of the soft top, where I'm having great difficulties just getting the car cover in on top of the three pieces of the hard top - although there is more room on either side (in the side "pods") with the trunk top.

As far as how hard is it to get a soft top - are they still available via your local Dodge dealer? I replaced my Gen II's soft top in late 2004 and ordered it via the local Dodge parts counter, and they still had plenty of them available - granted, the price was significant - list was around $2k, and even with the local club discount, I still paid around $1700 for mine.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is only a SKIN for sale on e-bay.... Those go for 300-400.

Complete soft top is about $1500, give or take few hundreds.

Do what I did, find a car with BOTH tops. They usually are about the same price anyway...

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is only a SKIN for sale on e-bay.... Those go for 300-400.

Complete soft top is about $1500, give or take few hundreds.

Do what I did, find a car with BOTH tops. They usually are about the same price anyway...

Yea that is what I thought I had done, but once we were 2 seconds from making the deal I found out he didn't have it.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the soft top isn't bad to deal with, just don't let the first time you assemble it be when a thunderstorm is approaching.

when I bought my car it came with a hardtop. I like the hardtop but it ***** that, if I leave the house with it on, it has to stay on until I get back to the house. now, with the soft top, I can put it on or take it off whenever I want to and just stuff it in the trunk. I use the hard top mostly in the winter and the softop in the summer when traveling long distances or when it rains.

I considered the foldable hard top but wanted to spend the money else where.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The soft top in my opinion is a pain. I keep mine assembled in the garage and have never had it on the car. I either keep the hardtop on or take it off and risk the chance of rain (I usually check the weather before taking the car out). I wouldn't waste the money on a soft top. Buy the trunk top hardtop.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the three piece and love it. You can see pics in my gallery. It is definitley the best of both worlds, which is necessary if you live in the midwest.

I have the soft top that came with the car. I've never used it. Frankly, I was thinking about selling it, just because I think it is a waste to keep it. I'm on the fence about it.