How long did it take to get used to the sound??

Reaction score
In about 4 seconds flat...... It took me days to wipe the smile off my face though!
laugh.gif

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ram Air Tony:
I love the sound of a good ol V8.....how long did it take for you to get to like the sound of the V10??? I know I will learn to like it if I get a Viper, but I havent yet, it just sounds different
supergrin.gif

Just curious
smile.gif

thanks

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Belanger headers, 3" catless exhaust with bullet mufflers, 3" pipes all the way out the back... You'll like the way that sounds.

BTW Tony, if you have any work done on your Viper, Bobby Archer's German Motor Works in Ft. Worth is the place to go.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the others have said get a new cat back, I like the Corsa. Once you get use to the sound, all the V8's will sound like just another car
supergrin.gif
Your never going to get a V10 to sound like a V8 so don't even try, but you can get the V10 to sound very mean
yesnod.gif

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might get flamed, but I still don't like the sound. Revamping the exhaust system is a tremendous help though. I may need to hide under a rock after I say this, but I still prefer the sound of a tweaked up 5.0 Mustang over just about anything. I wouldn't own one of course, but I LOVE the way they sound.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Carrot....you shouldn't be flamed here for answering in an honest manner. I myself, as a long-term hot rodder and Viper owner, have never really gotten used to the sound. I've done headers and the Corsa and the whole deal, and I understand it will never sound like a pounding big block V8, but honestly, I probably will never "get used to it". It's just different, as most guys will tell you. My supercharged hot rods vibrate the earth (soundwise) in comparison, but hey....I still love my Viper as much as anybody here! Great car! pete the ex glass guy (and hot rodder)

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Belanger headers, 3" catless exhaust with bullet mufflers, 3" pipes all the way out the back... You'll like the way that sounds.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Paul said...I have the same. I smile every time I'm in the car.

Steve

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigCarrot:
I might get flamed, but I still don't like the sound. Revamping the exhaust system is a tremendous help though. I may need to hide under a rock after I say this, but I still prefer the sound of a tweaked up 5.0 Mustang over just about anything. I wouldn't own one of course, but I LOVE the way they sound.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't imagine anyone flaming you for that comment.

Ever heard a spitfire airplane? That's what my Viper sounds like. Like a bad@ss rolls royce merlin engine! I don't compare it to any of the V8's I have or have had. Just like I don't compare them to the Diablo. The sound of the Lambo V12 at WOT between 4500 and 7000 RPM is just awesome. Not like the Viper, the Vette or the Mustangs. Not better or worse just different. Lots of low frequency rumble.

Yipee ki ya! They're all great!

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Which B&B headers? They make different sized 5 into 1 style and a tri-Y style.

The B&B cat-back is quite a bit louder than Corsa 3"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ram Air Tony:
how does the B&B complete system sound???? I have some good frieds at B&B and might be able to swing a deal
smile.gif

one of the vendors had a deal on the COMPLETE B&B for like $2600 ... headers, and the whole shibang
yesnod.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hennesy headers (TNT in with a different name)
High flow cats
Mufflers - kinda
3" pipes
4" dumps

104 Db - this car is LOUD

Your question was - "when do you get used to the sound?"

I DON'T WANT TO GET USED TO THE SOUND - I've been known to get up in the middle of the night, start the thing up, bring it up to temperature - just so I'm sure I'm not "used" to it.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope that's a big rock, make room for me, I'll bring the CDN beer!

The look on people's face that ask you to rev it up is always interesting, happy your not a snoooooty Viper owner, but not meeting their expectations on what they thought it sounds like.

Of course what other people think of the car is not much of a concern to me, it's growing on me, mile by mile, oops kilometer by kilometer. FWIW, when freed up with headers, cats, and Corsa, etc (which has been ordered, thanks Jerry), I find the sound better, ie louder, but the thundering rumble of my cammed out 5.0 is absent, regardless of exhaust choices. Shall we agree it's an "acquired sound", I sound like a politician.....ugh

Nonetheless, bring on the 40 horse gain baby!
yesnod.gif

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The day it was titled in my name (purchase day) and I turned the key. V8s sound great but a V10 needs a unique sound. ie. Ferarri and Porsche have their own sound. Dodge didn't set out to make this car sound like a V8. I'm glad they didn't. It is a sound that will grow on you. Then it is absolute music to your ears.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came from a Mustang, Corvette background, and the V10 sound was odd at first for me too. But I added Sean Roe high-flow cats, and a Corsa exhaust and it sounds great now.

It still doesn't sound like a V8, but I don't care anymore because it sounds muscular and powerful, but different. Especially at WOT.
supergrin.gif

-Dean.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
how does the B&B complete system sound???? I have some good friends at B&B and might be able to swing a deal
one of the vendors had a deal on the COMPLETE B&B for like $2600 ... headers, and the whole shibang
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you can get the B&B 1 5/8 header - cat back combo for $2600, that is about $600 less than the best prices on the internet. Get them.

I just got a set of B&B 1 5/8 header - cat back combo with no cats and it sounds like a real race car now. A low nasty grumble at idle and all out mayhem at full throttle. Plus wind a gear out and let off gas and keep in gear and it sounds like the 4th of July, Snap, Crackle and Pop.

I had the borla setup before and the B&B has a deeper and more throaty sound.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhhh, Tony, at last you decide to come over to the dark side....
death2.gif

Hopefully the Vette guys don't know about this....

As for the sound, I actually think it's a plus that it doesn't sound like a V8. It's true that stock, the sound is nothing to talk about, but the same is true of a C5....In my case, for the GTS, Borla headers, 3" catbacks, and hi-flow cats made all the difference. Loud and bada$$ sounding. Causes small children (and police
dead.gif
) to hear you coming from a block away.

As a side note, there's a colleague of mine who has an '00 RT/10 with Borla catback. When I'm in my office, on the 5th floor of my building, I can hear him coming a block away, and the sound is so interesting to me that it causes me to get up from my desk and watch as he drives into the parking garage....

Obviously the sound is as subjective as the styling, but I love it!
bounce.gif

--Mike

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand the pre-occupation with the V-8 sound. I would much rather the unique sound I have now. Why would you want your car to sound the same as literally millions of other cars? Is it because a lot of you guys weren't around in the 60's when muscle was in it's prime? Didn't get a proper 'fix' on V-8's? hehehe

Steve

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey RAT, I remember you! (I was Chief_Wiggum on corvette forum...my posts slowed alot about when you arrived tho...)

I have headers/exhaust/no cats and it doesnt even come close to the way the old vette with TPIS/Borla/H-pipe sounded. **** shame.
I'm like Carrot Top - I cant lie, its not that great compared to the V8...I am thinking of trying out a crossover pipe to get all 10 cylinders resonating through the system.

But everything else is soooo much better. Cant wait to see your soon-to-be-new ride.

If you can, keep the Z06. Beauty.