How many high HP cars in here that had to have engine rebuilt?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was just curious to see how many "stock" internal high HP vipers in here have had to go through a rebuild of pistons, connecting rods...etc?

Or do you have a high out put Viper with stock forged internals that have withstand the power without no problem? Have you logged on many miles under boost or has it been pretty much in vacum under-boost that you logged in your miles?

I figure as long as you are not detonating or running in a lean condition then things should be okay with HP cars.

Any experience with transmissions going out after a while?

I take it most of the damage is done if any is from drag racing...but a highway roll or whatever doesn't cause as nearly as much damage?

Thanks in advance.

S

SUN RA KAT

If around 610 rwHP is considered high HP around here, then my engine is happy the way it is and no rebuilding was needed. I know I'll need forged pistons, improved fuel system, heads, cam, airbox, intercooler, and tuning if/when I go for more power.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If around 610 rwHP is considered high HP around here, then my engine is happy the way it is and no rebuilding was needed. I know I'll need forged pistons, improved fuel system, heads, cam, airbox, intercooler, and tuning if/when I go for more power.

hey Sun Ra Cat,

I said "high horse power cars". :D LOL!

610? that's common now. LOL! ha! I am just kidding...that's good to know that you are still holding up. No tranny issues?

Anyone else in the 800 plus power range?

S

SUN RA KAT

Common sense stops many potential problems. I have the MGW short shifter knob and only when the Sneaky Pete on the top of it feel slightly warm do I shift quickly, but not before that. When it is slightly warm it means the transmission is warmed up - it also warms up at the same time the shifter goes in and out of gear quickly and easily. This usually occurs 5 to 10 minutes after the engine coolant is in the operating range.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll get two stories AB - some have had great experiences with a stock internal engine, others have had disasters - same tuner.

The difference between the two stories could be driving styles, owning a "Monday" car, variations in tune/quality control/packages etc...

but most of the engines that go west are never reported online out of curtesy to the tuner involved.....

if the real story ever came out about just how many engines had gone sour and who the tuners were - it'd be an interesting read - but one that would end in lawsuits or at least a deep layer of doo doo.....

I prepared a big write up on why far too many Viper engines blow up - but it'll be too hot to post - so I'll leave it at this - if many engine builders can build race engines with worse dyamics than the Viper - to turn 9000rpm all season and have no wear, or 8000+rpm and run years with only freshen ups on road courses and speedway, or 9000+rpm at 3000hp on no wear or breakages - and do it consistently.....

what was your question again?

:p

99% of engine failures are not "bad luck" or - "that's racing".... that is BS.

someone made a booboo whether a faulty part, faulty workmanship, faulty tuning, faulty fuel, or driver error.... anything else is almost guaranteed to be an excuse - with rare exception :p

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21