How many hours to R&R a motor?

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove and replace. For someone with my mechanical abilities...about two months...if I don't sleep.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disturbed has it pretty much nailed. Depending on your exhaust, it can be more painful (add 1-3 hours if you have tubular headers). Stock exhaust makes the job easy.

If it's a crate motor, you can shave about 2 hours off the install.

Mike

OP
OP
H

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After my balancer issue, I decided to play around a bit. Now, the shop is quoting 20 hours to R&R the motor-it just seemed a bit much to me.

Reaction score
Normal shops would charge about 14 hours for a stock motor plus the time to R&R the a/c etc. So that said 20 hours would probably not be far off. If you are talking an independent, sure it can be done quicker but that doesn't mean he will only charge you actual time either.

OP
OP
H

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Normal shops would charge about 14 hours for a stock motor plus the time to R&R the a/c etc. So that said 20 hours would probably not be far off. If you are talking an independent, sure it can be done quicker but that doesn't mean he will only charge you actual time either.
Thanks for the heads up-I just had no idea and was looking to get a range.

It turns out that the quote of 20 hours included removal, the full tear down, shipping to the machine shop, putting everything together (including all gaskets), and putting it all back in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc