How many people are running muffler deletes, h-pipe/straight, and no cats?

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't mean to bring up another Viper "exhaust note" thread lol, but I'm wondering what your guy's views are on this setup (muffler deletes, h-pipe, and no cats). I didn't find much info on this combination on here.

The reason I'm asking is b/c I see a lot of thread about the exhaust note on Vipers, different catbacks/header equiped setups etc. And after hearing so many different Vipers at meets or shows, or even sound/video clips on this forum, I have not heard a single Viper that sounded as good as running no mufflers or cats with or without an h-pipe. Couldn't imagine what it would sounds like if you added headers, talk about mean.

With so many people wondering about sound quality and why their setup sounds buzzy or even a tad ricey (as much as I hate to say that), how come not a lot of people chose to go with the deleted muffler and cat setup with an h-pipe welded in? Not to mention how much cheaper it would cost considering some of the exhaust systems will easily run a couple thousand, and then you still do not get the mean tone you could have had.

Is it b/c it might be to loud for a lot of people? My friends 00' ACR has this setup and it sounds amazing, like that 8.0 V10 should sound like. I didn't think it was loud at all and actually a tad quieter then some muffler/header systems I've heard, had hardly any drone (probably less then stock) with a very wicked exhaust note when floored, sounded more like muscle car compared to any other setup I've heard.

IMO this setup sounds the meanest, I know "sound" is objective and will always differ from person to person. But considering you could save thousands and have a meaner sounding Viper, how come hardly anyone does this? I mean better sound and less money, sounds like a win win situation to me :confused:

I'd like to see what you guys have to say about this setup or what you think whether you have this setup or not ;)

EDIT- their also thinking of adding Belanger headers, any idea on how it would sound in combination with this setup?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: How many people are running muffler deletes, straight pipes, and no cats?

That's what I have, and it's very loud! It is pretty "buzzy" in my opinion. Sounds a lot like a ricer to me! It's pretty aggressive, and it really howls when I get on it. At idle, it sounds awesome. I added an h-pipe, but took it out later because I prefered the way it sounded without it. The idle sounds lumpier without it. My 2 cents!

OP
OP
S

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: How many people are running muffler deletes, straight pipes, and no cats?

That's what I have, and it's very loud! It is pretty "buzzy" in my opinion. Sounds a lot like a ricer to me! It's pretty aggressive, and it really howls when I get on it. At idle, it sounds awesome. I added an h-pipe, but took it out later because I prefered the way it sounded without it. The idle sounds lumpier without it. My 2 cents!
True, I should have worded some things better, I think I should have taken out the not to loud which I was comparing to some header/muffler systems I've heard. I do agree though, it does have some buzzyness to it but I don't think any Viper will be able to get rid of that characteristic b/c of the firing order, but it seemed to have less then other setups I've heard.

It is very loud and mean, he pulls up our street and into our driveway and it sounds like my neighbors 38ft Cigarette is gurgling in our driveway. Definitley won't confuse it with a UPS truck lol.

They own a Dodge dealer, and he told me right when their 00' ACR was delivered, they started it up and went ***?!? lol, and had them remove the mufflers and cats and run an h-pipe. I think I left it out that they also removed their h-pipe, thats probably why it sounds so gurgly (sp?) like a race boat, very mean idle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte