How much for a little freon?

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at the sight glass to the Ac and noticed that it was a little low. So I called Tomball Dodge and they said it would cost $153!!! Every other car I have ever taken in was 20-30 bucks. Now $153 definitily has a viper tax on it. If you have ever taken it in how much have you been charged?

Don't know if this makes a difference but it is a 96 Gts.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Go to local Advanced Auto, AutoZone, etc...get a small can of R-134a...$10-20.00 by my memory...or the kit with gauge and 2 larger cans for $39.00...do it yourself FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS on the can. Brand that I buy is Arctic. Several posts here on that issue. Your model may have an "O"ring problem or a pinhole leak in metal tube near the "cannister with the sight glass".

Always worth a try to fill and watch, noting that I personally use product with the dye if it leaks out after first refill...UV light will help find leak.. occasionally use "sniffer"...all from Snap-On if you really need to go that far.

I'm betting on improvement with first treatment !!!

OP
OP
J

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took it to another shop I know and got it all taken care of for 60 bucks. Works like a champ now.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put some in my 97 today and it cost me about $10 and 10 minutes ( I have a 30lb tank and tools). Dealerships are a rip-off and there is no getting around that. If I can do it for $10 then they can for $5.

Ron

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put some in my 97 today and it cost me about $10 and 10 minutes ( I have a 30lb tank and tools). Dealerships are a rip-off and there is no getting around that. If I can do it for $10 then they can for $5.

Ron

do you have to be "certified" or something to get a 30 lb tank :dunno:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
JHill9, as you can see...it is an easy DYI project.

I got in a slight hurry last PM...forgot to mention that I have had the low pressure port valve's core either deteriorate or loosen and, therefore, leak on two different Vipers...one a 1995, and the other a 2003.
This can also happen on the high pressure side as well. Snap-On makes a tool(s) for changing out these cores WITHOUT having to remove the R-134a...and, since you do this with the system OFF, there is no loss of refrigerant.
In summary, I usually do a test refill...watch closely, chase potential defect if it leaks down.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Don't get used to being able to buy r134 guys, the price for a 30lb keg has just shot up to over $150.00 dollars on it's way to 176 next week according to our supplier. EPA is going to be pulling the same stuff they did with r12 soon, and you won't be able to buy r134 or any other refrigerant without a certification to handle the stuff.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope they sell them at costco and sams club.

thanks for the info, though their web sites don't list it, will try to swing by costco this weekend

Don't get used to being able to buy r134 guys, the price for a 30lb keg has just shot up to over $150.00 dollars on it's way to 176 next week according to our supplier. EPA is going to be pulling the same stuff they did with r12 soon, and you won't be able to buy r134 or any other refrigerant without a certification to handle the stuff.

thanks for the heads up, $150 per 30 lbs is quite a bargain compared to $7 per 12 oz, if it has an indefinite shelf life, would be worth a Steve-Indy style stash

:drive:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just another nail in the coffin for the private automobile in the USA. This administration wants to kill the car.