How Much is it Worth

mrviper99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 1996 B/W GTS, 18,000 miles one owner, never in accident, no damage. Lot of bolt on additions. Engine has cam, 1.7 roller rockers, J&E Pistons, Carrillo Rods, TNT heads, larger oil pan with baffles. All engine work done by Arrow Engine. Belanger Headers with Belanger Exhaust. Many other items. How much is this worth, kids college cost are kicking my a$$.

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engine mods will narrow your buyers, but I would say low-mid 40s all day long.

Damn kids, make them pay for their own school! That's what my parents did.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was back how many years? Nowadays, a 4 year private college's tuition runs over $50k a year! There's no way a kid can save up or work his way through it. Also, do you really want to straddle your kid with over $200k in student loans when he graduates into this horrible recession ravaged economy? I, like many fathers have made sacrifices for our kids and am currently Viperless because of it :-(

Your 96 sounds like a dream to me. Unfortunately, it would nver pass smog out here in Kalifornia.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was back how many years? Nowadays, a 4 year private college's tuition runs over $50k a year! There's no way a kid can save up or work his way through it. Also, do you really want to straddle your kid with over $200k in student loans when he graduates into this horrible recession ravaged economy? I, like many fathers have made sacrifices for our kids and am currently Viperless because of it :-(

Are you kidding me? :rolleyes: This is why we have a screwed up society. A sense of entitlement that everything should be taken care by others and no responsibilty is place on the individual. Will I help my kid some with college? Yes. Will he get a completely free ride, oh hell no. The boy will work all thru and pay most of his bills. He will learn the value of having a job and earning his way thru college which is WAY more important than anything he is going to learn in a school.

Is tuition over $50K at ivy league schools, sure. If you want to go there, get a scholarship or choose one that you can afford. For kids to expect a ride thru the end of college is why we have presidents like Obama.

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lawrenzo:2994395 said:
That was back how many years?

Actually, right now as a matter of fact haha.

I got myself a good job, worked my way through an apprenticeship, got back into school, and just bought my first Viper to boot.

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? :rolleyes: This is why we have a screwed up society. A sense of entitlement that everything should be taken care by others and no responsibilty is place on the individual. Will I help my kid some with college? Yes. Will he get a completely free ride, oh hell no. The boy will work all thru and pay most of his bills. He will learn the value of having a job and earning his way thru college which is WAY more important than anything he is going to learn in a school.

Is tuition over $50K at ivy league schools, sure. If you want to go there, get a scholarship or choose one that you can afford. For kids to expect a ride thru the end of college is why we have presidents like Obama.

Couldn't have stated it better!

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed...my parents helped with my college they paid about half but insisted that I put my fair share in. 12 years ago in 1999 my college cost $32k per year, same college it well in the 50s. I worked a full time job through high school starting at the age of 15 and through college. I'm definitely and a better person for it. I learned to be resourceful with my hands to save money like repairing my own cars and remodeling homes and not to spend foolishly. I have everything paid off including my house, cars, etc. with no help from anyone. When I was younger my parents provided a roof over my head, food and guidance everything else was on me....I really didnt like it at the time but I'm a 100% better person because of this plus here is the added bonus for my parents I was so busy with a full time job in high school and college there was little time for me to get into trouble

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AMEN TO THAT 99RT. If this guy is worried so much about student debt tell them to join the military. Give the military four years and get your college paid for. So I guess he is going to pay their full tution watch them graduate and come back home to live with mommy and daddy. Then get a job working at a fast food joint or some office clerk job. Sounds like a great plan to me .

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have some really Good On-Line Schools (Phoenix) so as you can work during the day or night & schedule your classes around it. I have a Family member that just finished her Masters Degree & she is making a nice 6 figure income. With the position she has, she had to have a Masters Degree, so she went on line with Phoenix & finished it (actually her company paid for it) that was the best part, matter of fact we just went to her Graduation in Memphis about a month ago.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have some really Good On-Line Schools (Phoenix) so as you can work during the day or night & schedule your classes around it. I have a Family member that just finished her Masters Degree & she is making a nice 6 figure income. With the position she has, she had to have a Masters Degree, so she went on line with Phoenix & finished it (actually her company paid for it) that was the best part, matter of fact we just went to her Graduation in Memphis about a month ago.
Sorry I got off the subject, but I would think you wouldn't have any trouble getting high 30's or maybe low 40's. Would need to see pics, but like someone else said about the mods (especially with roller rockers) it may narrow your search unless they are looking for a car with them already done. Good Luck! with the sale & college.

OP
OP
M

mrviper99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The engine was rebuilt because the vibration dampner became loose and rounded the nose of the crankshaft, had to replace the crank so while I had it at Arrow I decided to have the other engine work done. At that time people were talking about the quality of the pistons that were installed at the factory so thats why the new pistons. I am glad I didn't say that I was paying for my mothers nursing care, I could imagine the comments. Both my kids are great kids, my daughter works 2 jobs and my son works construction during the summer to pay their bills, both are on the deans list at school so I have no complaints other than a investment market that *****.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would probably be better off parting out the car by exchanging parts for stock with the buyer of the parts.

The market for these cars is really stubborn.

People are willing to buy a stock car in the mid 30's and put $10k-$20k into it rather than pay $40k -$50K to buy it already done.

If you try and sell it with all of the stuff done it appears you will never get any of the money back out.

I have considered this route lately myself.

I have alot of the desirable mods and well functioning systems. Heads,Cam, Stop-Tech big brakes, 18"/19" wheels, power steering pulley, billet steering bushings, jet coated belanger headers, ACR shocks (rebuilt with KONI interanls), Awesome aftermarket sound system. COLD A/C, bigger oil pan and and upgraded internal baffle, Uni-trax half shafts, SCT tune. The car would cost over $20k to build today and right now I am staring at an "A"-arm bushing replacement and new tie rod ends. What else could anyone want? Will someone step up and buy it? Maybe, but it will take awhile to find that buyer.

Good luck with your sale.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You cast a very wide net with your comments. In my case I have a Valedictorian daughter who has worked 2 jobs through high school. She received a $65k grant, $18k in student loans and $10k in on-campus work study. Which, even after all her hard work, still leaves her waaaay short! I'm just kicking in the difference- which it quite large due to the explosion of tuition over the last 20 years.

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You cast a very wide net with your comments. In my case I have a Valedictorian daughter who has worked 2 jobs through high school. She received a $65k grant, $18k in student loans and $10k in on-campus work study. Which, even after all her hard work, still leaves her waaaay short! I'm just kicking in the difference- which it quite large due to the explosion of tuition over the last 20 years.

Hey Lawrenzo, you have a very gifted daughter. Continue to support her. She seems like she is a very hard working young lady. In a case such as this I would not mind providing financial support because it appears this kid is serious about life and she is working hard to gather the resources for her College education. Keep supporting her Lawrenzo

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, our kids are going to select the nursing home we go into one day......be as supportive of them as possible without going overboard :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You cast a very wide net with your comments. In my case I have a Valedictorian daughter who has worked 2 jobs through high school. She received a $65k grant TAX DOLLARS, $18k in student loans MORE TAX DOLLARS and $10k EVEN MORE TAX DOLLARS in on-campus work study. Which, even after all her hard work, still leaves her waaaay short! I'm just kicking in the difference- which it quite large due to the explosion of tuition over the last 20 years.

All that "free" and low interest money is the biggest reason college is so expensive. Education is big business. Big businesses know their price points. When the government is giving away money to their customers (students) the big business (universities) know they can increase fees, so they do, and the vicious circle continues to spin out of control.

Typical university revenues are 2 billion. Less than a third of that comes from student fees. Short of greed and politics there is no reason a university couldn't teach 20,000 to 30,000 students on 1.33 billion. 1.33 billion / 25,000 students = $53,333.33 per student. That's plenty to teach a kid anything from basket weaving to engineering.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think you are doing it perfectly, just my opinion. She had already invested so much in her education with the grades she is earning, but also set up the finacials to cover a lot of what is needed. I never said I wasn't going to help, just not going to give a completely free ride.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All that "free" and low interest money is the biggest reason college is so expensive. Education is big business. Big businesses know their price points. When the government is giving away money to their customers (students) the big business (universities) know they can increase fees, so they do, and the vicious circle continues to spin out of control.

Chuck, it's a private college and the grant money will all be changed over to scholarships from past Alumae once the school matches her up with them. The loans are at market rates and will be paid back. Only the work study is off the Government teet- but she is working for it not just sitting around collecting welfare.

As far as the car's value in this thread- priceless. Keep it and enjoy it while you're still young!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, it's a private college and the grant money will all be changed over to scholarships from past Alumae once the school matches her up with them. The loans are at market rates and will be paid back. Only the work study is off the Government teet- but she is working for it not just sitting around collecting welfare.

As far as the car's value in this thread- priceless. Keep it and enjoy it while you're still young!

Agreed, private is a different ballgame. My post applies to public.

Good luck to your daughter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte